Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Thor Egil Braadland, Oslo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm learning this game by reading the rules on my own, and I have a question:

Is it correctly understood that if I have built one industry building in a city, and I want to build a new industry building in the same city, I cannot do this in the canal period, unless I have a location card?

The rules state "any location that you are connected to by your own canal links"

In other words, if I now have, say, a cotton mill card, I can *only* build this by a) first building a canal from where I built my first building, to a new location, and then b) build the mill here, even if there is a vacant mill spot next to my first industry counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the canal period you cannot build two industries in the same city at all. You can only have multiple industries in a city during the railroad period.

Quote:
The rules state "any location that you are connected to by your own canal links"

That rule puts in a requirement for building an industry in a city, after your initial build. You must either be connected to that city via canal/railroad tracks and play the appropriate industry card, play the appropriate city card, or already have an industry in the city (this one applies during the railroad era only) and play the appropriate industry card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thor Egil Braadland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. But "at all"? Even with a location card? The rules also say (regardless of period) that "...location card allows you to build at that location. No connectivity is required...". Where does it say I can't build with a location card in a city already built in the canal period?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't remember where, but he is right: in canal period, only one building per player per city. At all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the English version of the rules, it is mentioned in at least two places.

Under the heading "Further restrictions on building," in the fourth paragraph, the rules state, "Each space in a location can only contain one counter at a time. In the Canal Period each player can only have one Industry counter in a location...."

On the Player aid sheet, under the heading "Easy to forget rules," there's a bullet point that says "During the Canal Period, you can only have one of your counters in a location."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thor Egil Braadland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You are allowed to build on top of one of your own industry counters in either era, though (the industry counter you built on is out of the game). The same rules apply to the card you use for this in each era, and they are the same rules that apply when building a second industry in the same location in the rail era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.