traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I had posted this on HCRealms, not sure why I didn't think to bring it over hear earlier......
--------------------------------------

So last night we had a casual play night and one of our players had suggested that we try the Kobayashi Maru.........and since it was supposed to be our 'New Ship Night' (as last week the X-Wing players had the space) I had planned on using the Flagship card (Independent #1) and the Transwarp Drive....but alas Wave 2 is still not in for us so I had to go with an older list of mine to take down the scenario........and I was up first.....

USS Enterprise 22
Captain: Weyoun (4+1) 5
Crew: Sulu 3
Crew: McCoy 3
Crew: Varel (5+5+1!) 11

Resource: Command Tokens 5
-Evade Token
-Battle stations
-Re-roll Defense dice
- +1 Defense dice
- Choose 1 side of a Defense Dice

(I was facing the I.K.S. Negh’var wMartok(8) and I.K.S. Kronos One wNu'Daq both with some upgrade cards.....but I didn't copy down their lists)

Turn 1

The Klingons move up and I moved as far as possible...just outside of beaming range (not the last time I cursed myself for not having lovely Dax as a member of the crew! )

Turn 2

I end up being in the sights of both of the Klingons at range 2.....I Sulu'd and the Negh’varr had Drex and 5 dice to attack me with..so I used Varel as that was probably the one of the worst attack I'd face and disabled Weyoun to keep Varel around. I think I was fortunate and only lost a shield.

Turn 3

Not going to lie....I thought this was going to be the end of me for sure.....I managed to get out of both firing arcs with my new '1' captain skill and managed to prevent the Klingons from hitting me with their maneuvers........so I obviously I beamed up my first survivor from the KM and thinking that would be a likely scenario. What I didn't think about is how much the jerk Klingons were out to get me.....I got Korax'd and had to discard both Sulu and Varel (and making McCoy useless!).

The space was angry that day my friends!

Turn 4

I believe that I was able to beam up my second survivor while the Kronos One got ready to launch a Torp at me next turn (setting up for range) and the Negh’var was turning around ready to help out.

Turn 5

Knowing what was coming.......I set myself up to leap past the Klingons next turn.....but sadly had to leave my Shields up, used my Evade Command Token and reactivated my Captain..........I was fortunate that I think I only lost 1 more shield in the attack. And I just ended up out of the Negh’vars range. Bit of a lucky turn but I figured I was due for one after Turn 3.

Turn 6

I thought this was the end of it....I jumped over the Kronos One and ended up right in it's rear firing arc already Target Locked......and still needing to beam up one more survivor..........but 'by the will of the founders' the Kronos One player did have 2 torps on his ship but both were range 2-3 and I was sitting in range 1! Beamed up the last survivor and prepared to get the heck out of there!

What do you mean Dax isn't on board?

Turn 7

No surprise, 4 straight for me Evade action, Battle station Command token. I want to say the Kronos one had a range 3 shot at me but.....I'm not sure now.......details start to get a little less accurate in the memory banks.....as I had earlier had to pull power from that system to maintain hull integrity.

Sure would be nice if Dax were part of the crew!

Turn 8

Because I straight 4'd (instead of 3 bank.......which would have but me straight with the starting area...but not as far away from the Klingons....possibly letting the Negh’vars get a shot on me) last turn I was actually getting close to the corner and had to turn in to make sure I was still on the map.....and I ended up about 1 cm from getting off through my starting area. So I had to survive 1 more attack from the Kronos 1. Evade action, and Selected Defence Die side action token.......I had 3 Hull points left for this attack....... he rolled 3 hits and a Crit. I canceled 2 with my Tokens took the first hit...down to 2 Hull.....with a Crit on route.

Now obviously a direct hit would have been bad....but a Warp Core Breach might have cost me the game as well.........and I as we took a moment to consider all of the terrible things that Crit could be (and I totally wasn't stalling out of nervousness, or to create tension........). But that card was going to be what it was going to be........if the Founders will is for it to destroy me so be it........

'Stunned Helmsman' The next time you attack, do not roll any attack dice. Then flip this card down.

FOUNDERS BE PRAISED!!!!

Turn 9

Victory.

Cue victory music.....now where is that Trill, Dax?

------------------------------------------------------

I don't have as many details from the other 2 players attempts but the next player, AGameOfBoards on BGG (and who had been running the Kronos One) asked to borrow my Flagship cards to give them a try. (I was running the I.K.S. ChTang and the I.K.S. Gr'oth for my 40 pts of Klingons)........and he got very lucky on round 2........rolled 4 hits on the cloaked CHTang and I rolled nothing to evade.

But through his use of Picard, the Flagship and the Enterprise actions he was very tough to damage........and on turn 7 he was on his way out with 3 survivors and we eyeballed how far he had to go.....we thought it might be just a bit too far.....

Turn out at the end of turn 9 he was only 2 widths of a token from getting off the board!!!

Well played by AGameOfBoards! thumbsup

As we were trying to figure out what all the fuss was about for this scenario after almost seeing 2 victories out of the gate, our third player, Superenrico, had the scenario play out a little differently.......the CHTang almost took him out in turn 2 or 3 and it was all down hill from there.....and his potent Kirk combo of CheatDeath/IStabAtThee went off with no ships in range 1.

So apparently sometimes the scenario is challanging.

But most importantly, all the players had a good time and we even got some on-lookers from the other gamers in attendance that were asking about the game by the end of the session.

OP3 this weekend......hopefully Wave 2 comes in by then. (Edit:It did not soblue )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great run, sounds like each maneuver was well planed out vs your opponent.

Now change up the klingons a bit, like instead of Nu'daq, give them Chang so that on their first turn in range, they can disable weyoun, or stop all of kirk's elite talents. Cause there are always a few more angrier things the klingons can do to make things harder, like running a ferengi em pulse to spam aux power tokens on your ship to limit your maneuvering so that either they know where you'll be, or you don't get to take actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I did make sure I was thinking about following turns as well when I was planning out my turns.

As for the Klingons.....we played it as a 3 person scenario where the 2 klingon players got 40 pts to build with.......Both Superenrico and AGameofBoards opted to go with single ships with upgrades where I went with the Gr'Oth/Ch'Tang pair with no upgrades at all.

I'm sure we'll be doing it again in the future....especially since it seems like we might be getting some new blood showing up in the new year.

But yeah, lots of fun........but man, my heart sank when on AGameofBoards' 7th turn when we were looking at how far he had to go......2 widths of a token!!!! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair though, the scenario isn't really meant to be a 3-player game (with a Federation player and two Klingon players). I think that modification would make things a bit easier for the Enterprise as the Klingons wouldn't have the synergy as they would have if it was just one player fielding them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Splitting up the points between players also means you can't run a very effective three ship build like vor'cha vor'cha negh'var. At that point it's like you're not even trying to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
H00D4M4N wrote:
To be fair though, the scenario isn't really meant to be a 3-player game (with a Federation player and two Klingon players). I think that modification would make things a bit easier for the Enterprise as the Klingons wouldn't have the synergy as they would have if it was just one player fielding them.

I can certainly see your point, especially from a Fleet build PoV, but the two players did very well with synergy covering most of my options and making sure Martok was able to give the extra action to the Kronos One almost every turn.

delta_angelfire wrote:

Splitting up the points between players also means you can't run a very effective three ship build like vor'cha vor'cha negh'var. At that point it's like you're not even trying to win.

Well AGameofBoards and myself also self limited our Klingon ships to OS era (as the Federation side have that limitation as well) we didn't talk about it until we were showing our teams.

Not sure I'd say the teams weren't 'very effective' as it seemed to come down to a lot of close rolls and lots of maneuvering decisions....which sure feels like a challenging game.

While AGB and SE both decided to go with tricks and tools on their ships instead of running them naked........it makes them different. They had Torps with rear firing arcs, extra actions to re-enable their Torps and Korax* amung other things.

*Who was super effective I might add, making all of my crew and my captains ability useless angry

If I were to comment for them I would probably say they opted for diversity instead of just Primary Attack Value.......it didn't seem to hurt them......I want to say almost every attack that got sent my way was 5+ dice (one with Drex activated). Conversely when I was one of the Klingons it was the Gr'Oth that was the stand out.....while it was only rolling 3-4 attack dice it usually had battle stations as it's action and rolled very well as a result.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wallace
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
It's probably a little harsh to suggest we weren't even trying to win by splitting up the points . After all, I ran Korax (who I would rarely run outside of this scenario) to deprive the Federation player of their crew, which is their greatest asset in this scenario. It made it harder, as three ships would have been better (next time I plan to run three K't'inga class battle cruisers to simulate the actual scenario).

Our biggest problem ended up being that the Negh'var took a wrong turn and never really got into the battle. Kronos One was a ton of fun to use with two torpedoes as it almost always had a shot. In fact, if I'd done a sensor echo on the 8th turn the Klingons might have taken this one.

Overall, I think this is a great scenario and can't wait to try it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm sure you guys tried, all I'm saying is it does change things significantly when you split an 80 point fleet into two 40 point fleets and only allow ships of a specific era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.