Subject: Playing 3-4p with Fam over Holidays -- Need Expansion Recs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own every expansion up to and including Lurker. But as much as I love Arkham I rarely get to play it. Last time they came over we played a bunch of Innsmouth and that was a mistake (too difficult). I'm thinking of playing with base but maybe that's not the right move. Family groks complex games and mostly knows Arkham (whatever they can remember from last year) but I'm not an expert AH player and obviously neither are they. I've already integrated all the main-board encounter cards from the expansions so that's set, but would love to hear thoughts on what else to integrate, or maybe even what small-box is best for our situation (and what scenario specifically within that small-box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Gardner
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
I own every expansion up to and including Lurker. But as much as I love Arkham I rarely get to play it. Last time they came over we played a bunch of Innsmouth and that was a mistake (too difficult). I'm thinking of playing with base but maybe that's not the right move. Family groks complex games and mostly knows Arkham (whatever they can remember from last year) but I'm not an expert AH player and obviously neither are they. I've already integrated all the main-board encounter cards from the expansions so that's set, but would love to hear thoughts on what else to integrate, or maybe even what small-box is best for our situation (and what scenario specifically within that small-box).

INJURY AND MADDNESS CARDS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My stock answer for "integration" questions is Arkham Horror: Game Component Setups used by mccrispy (I created it mainly in response to such questions). As to the expansion, I'd say either King in Yellow if you are prepared for something a little harder than base, but not as hard as Innsmouth. Or Lurker if you're after a little more fun: those Gates, the Relationships and messing around with Dark Pacts/Reckonings is a hoot. Of course somebody will spot the exploit, but that's fun the first time you find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation. I think I'm just going to add the Arkham location, item and injury/madness cards from Dunwich, but I may also add Curse of the Dark Pharaoh too. I'm no expert so I'm interested in other replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KIY adds some cool spells and items that you'll actually want to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a good, strong, but not protracted game, I would recommend taking some elements from a few of the expansions, while playing just the base board:

Curse of the Dark Pharoah: Exhibit Items
Dunwich Horror: Injury and Madness cards
King in Yellow: Herald and associated cards
Lurker in the Threshold: Relationship Cards

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.