6 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Casual Game Setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
I dunno about y'all but I play a ton of casual games, usually one a week or so. My opponents tend to be from the same group of guys so lists can get a little repetitive.

One of the things we've been doing recently to kinda break out of our mold is set up a little differently. Lately we've chosen one guy to pick the lists for both sides. Then whoever didn't select pilots and abilities picks which side he wants to be. I've found that it's totally worth it. Building for both sides creates squads you've never seen before. Usually when you're building your own force you're trying to build something you figure can win. But when a guy is building for both sides choosing a powerful list kinda takes a back seat to choosing interesting lists. Quite simply, since you could wind up with either side, having a terrific list is less important. My last match was chosen by a buddy; I chose the list he made with Lando, Dutch, Rookie, and Kyle Katarn, while my opponent grabbed just a handful of high PS Imperials (Soontir, Vadar, Howlrunner, Kath and one or two others). I don't think I'd ever played a match quite like it, it felt weird and backwards.

Anyway, I really like this way of setting up casual games. Give it a shot and tell me what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snarly_Yow wrote:
I dunno about y'all but I play a ton of casual games, usually one a week or so. My opponents tend to be from the same group of guys so lists can get a little repetitive.

One of the things we've been doing recently to kinda break out of our mold is set up a little differently. Lately we've chosen one guy to pick the lists for both sides. Then whoever didn't select pilots and abilities picks which side he wants to be. I've found that it's totally worth it. Building for both sides creates squads you've never seen before. Usually when you're building your own force you're trying to build something you figure can win. But when a guy is building for both sides choosing a powerful list kinda takes a back seat to choosing interesting lists. Quite simply, since you could wind up with either side, having a terrific list is less important. My last match was chosen by a buddy; I chose the list he made with Lando, Dutch, Rookie, and Kyle Katarn, while my opponent grabbed just a handful of high PS Imperials (Soontir, Vadar, Howlrunner, Kath and one or two others). I don't think I'd ever played a match quite like it, it felt weird and backwards.

Anyway, I really like this way of setting up casual games. Give it a shot and tell me what you think.

Yeah, that can be a lot of fun. Also, it can really add to ones understanding of the game, since you are forced to play the not so powerful or not so used combos and see if they are for you.

We also like to choose ships at random. At present, each side has 6 different ships, and we just roll a d6 which chooses the ship for us. Then we equip that ship and let the dice choose the next. We do this until we have no more points for the last rolled ships and then we get the last points up until our limit as free points to spend on what we want. That can be a lot of points, if you have 30 points left and roll a Falcon. But then you have 30 points to spend as you like...

Thats also quite fun and can make for some interesting builds, especially as you have to equip the first ship first and therefore can't spend to much or hold to much back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the content I thought with the thread...

I had another idea going into this thread. All Generics, X-Wings and TIE fighters with no upgrades and no named pilots. Red squadrons versus Academies. No reliance on listbuilding but on position and dice luck.

Casual in that you don't need to think about putting combinations together. Just bring out the generics, set up, play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
sit in a circle. Give all players exactly 1 alpha TIE int. You have initiative, followed by the player on your left, then his left, and so on until you reach the last player. At the end of every round, pass the initiative token (some random object, maybe the rulebook or something) to the player on your left. So next round he gets intitative, and so on.

continue until only 1 TIEint is left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
One thing I always wanted to try would be to build squads with random point values. Start with 100 points and then roll four fudge dice. multiply the result by ten and there's your point total for squad building. This would lead to a range of point totals from 60 points at the smaller end to 140 points at the high end, with most games trending toward the 100 point middle.

Where this would really get interesting is to have each side roll separately.... I think grossly unbalanced sides can be fun, and more like an actual fight. After all, mathematically balanced forces almost never meet up in real life war.

Other ideas I've been having: restrict pilot availability to those who appear together in the fiction, so, none of the Death Star I casualties fighting alongside A-Wings or B-Wings, for example.

Another idea would be to have a continual campaign, where pilots who are shot down in one game are unavailable for the rest of the campaign (cause they're dead). Play games til both the Imperial and rebel sides have exhausted their pool of named pilots.

Or, have games that exclude formal Imperial and Rebel ships, making it a game of Firesprays, YT's and HWK-290s. Make it more interesting by removing the faction limits for generic pilots.

Man, now I really want to play some variants!

--Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That does sound like a fun way to break it up. Perhaps I will bring that to the league night every once in a while. I'm sure it helps break players out of their ruts too.

Currently our fun ones are "Wingman" games. They are 150 pts per side with 60 min time limit. Each side has two players on a team (2 vs 2). The points can be split in anyway between them.

Working with a second pilot is a lot of fun, and getting coordinated with 2 brains is harder than it sounds. Also guessing what two pilots are planning against you is more difficult to read as well. (We allow teammate dial showing as speaking about a secret move mechanic defeats the purpose of the secret moves...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.