Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Severn
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
which is the best CWBS game for an introductory level?

looking to start collecting them but I want to try out the system first

thanks for any help

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb

It's a pretty tight system at this point - the rules are up to v3.2. In my case, I just started by picking one of my favorite battles - The Wilderness, in Bloody Roads South. I also kind of found my way to CWBS "backwards" by playing Dean Essig's Line of Battle game None But Heroes first, which has some similar concepts to CWBS. It seems like typically people have started with CWBS and made their way to RSS later.

I suspect the best advice, and this really holds for any "system" style of game (think OCS, GBACW, GCACW, et al), is to pick the one with the fewest special rules. (In my case, Bloody Roads South may have been a poor choice, given that it has a lot of specific rules for the unique terrain of The Wilderness.)

You can read the specific rules for each game here.

But, if you're familiar with these types of games, and not new to wargaming, I'd just pick the battle that interests you the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In their Quiet fields was the first game. A one day battle with one map. A good game and one of the easiest of the series. The first edition didn't use the written orders either which also made the system easier for beginners.

I've also heard that Perryville is a good one to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
severn8212 wrote:
which is the best CWBS game for an introductory level?

looking to start collecting them but I want to try out the system first

thanks for any help

Bill

I'd recommend Champion Hill. It's in print for $30 and not a lot of maneuver units.

But CWB is a very manageable system overall. When you graduate to the top, you can play the whole Seven Days campaign with all the combined maps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Trevino
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mb
April's Harvest: The Battle of Shiloh, April 6 & 7, 1862 is a one-map, straightforward situation between two medium sized armies. A unpunched copy is available on the Geek now for $20, I see. Next in line, I'd recommend In their Quiet Fields II, another one-map battle starring what many consider the "first team" of Eastern armies. Three Battles of Manassas gives the option of playing either the one-map historic afternoon of First Bull Run with a handful of units, or the entire campaign on two maps, still with a relative handful of units--16 CSA "brigades" versus a like number of Yankees, if memory serves. With Three Battles one can also graduate to the larger Second Manassas when ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Severn
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the suggestions!

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Personally I've had a bit of trouble getting my head around the system used in these games..a couple of attempts have resulted in befuddlement and then abandonment..but ongoing praise here by people whose opinions I respect have made me determined to make another attempt soon..not least because one of my favourite ACW battles Gaines Mill is only available as a game in this series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Personally I've had a bit of trouble getting my head around the system used in these games..a couple of attempts have resulted in befuddlement and then abandonment..but ongoing praise here by people whose opinions I respect have made me determined to make another attempt soon..not least because one of my favourite ACW battles Gaines Mill is only available as a game in this series

Be thankful your favorite battle isn't Seven Pines, I guess, because that don't come cheap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Be thankful your favorite battle isn't Seven Pines, I guess, because that don't come cheap!

Yes all those Seven Days games pretty pricey..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Sluggonics wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Yes all those Seven Days games pretty pricey..

I got lucky a few years ago and got all 3 of them (unpunched) for less the $100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.