Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently begun acquiring shapeways mini's, and would like some advice on how best to prep them.

I have noticed a large amount of 'dust' on the WSF models. What is the best way to remove it completely? Using a soft-bristle toothbrush and an old paint brush seems to get most of it, but what about the crannies?

And FD: I received a Blastboat today, which appears to be exuding some type of ?oil?? gulp What's up with that - is it something I should worry about 'sweating' out of the model after it has been painted?

Also, this is my 3rd order - and 2 orders have had bits broken off. soblue Is that 'about normal' from your perspective?

I'd have pics up, but that's not possible right now.

Any help is appreciated - especially from a mediocre painter, trying to get back into it via SW:XW.

~Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
The dust issue is from the fact that the WSF and WSF-P models are built up from a very fine nylon powder set in place with lasers and something related chemically to superglue. The toothbrush thing works for me but sometimes it can be a bit of a pain to remove it all depending on the specific material you are talking about.
Ive started using a soft bristled electric toothbrush on some models and that works a little better if im careful, maybe the vibrations loosen up the powder a bit.
The FD issue comes from the fact that the material is a form of acrylic and uses a waxy support material rather than the powder that WSF uses. after the model is printed they run it through an oil bath to remove the way residue and then a water bath to remove the oil.and sometimes there is a bit of oil left on the model. seems overly complex to me but i suppose it all makes sense at the factory. i have found that a very mild solution of warm, not hot, water and dish soap removes the oily residue easily enough, but if anyone has any better suggestions im happy to hear them.
As for the breakage im not sure what is up with it. Again much of that depends on the material. I havent had much of an issue with breakage, but the couple of times that something i have ordered has been damaged or with missing parts shapeways has been good about replacing it.
Of course being a designer and owner of a shapeways shop i could be biased *L* but i am also a gamer and i feel all the annoyance that anyone else can if something isnt right in an order especially if i have worked hard on a design
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Mel_Miniatures
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using soft tools to remove the dust, if you polish it hardly you might also remove detail. Im afraid crannies are part of White Strong and Flexible.

Ive also noticed that shapeways is doing everything in WSF a little bit thicker than it should. That helps so things wont break, but also it makes holes and pegs less fitting. In my last order I had to use a cutter and a needle to make them fit.

That "sweating" effect you mention, ive never seen it in FD only in Detail Plastic. But I havent ordered too much on Frosted Detail. Its pretty much asexpensive as Frosted Ultra Detail and that one is perfect. Im sure in FUD that never happens.

Here you have a thread about shapeways materials
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/955806/3d-printer-materials

About painting I cant help you that much, my painting techniques are not that good.

About breakage, I know my TIE Defenders had this issue but now it is fixed. If you ever find something broken, talk to shapeways, they will probably help you with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitservices wrote:
And FD: I received a Blastboat today, which appears to be exuding some type of ?oil?? :gulp: What's up with that - is it something I should worry about 'sweating' out of the model after it has been painted?

Happened to my FUD model as well. That's just residue of the wax that was used as a support material during printing. You should thoroughly wash the model in luke (no pun) warm soap water (I've used dish wash soap, which worked just fine) and a soft brush (I've used a toothbrush) before painting it. As with any model that's to be painted, oil is especially bad for your paint to stick to, so washing beforehand is always recommended.

So don't worry, it's no "sweating" or anything. Just residue that has liquified during the time of shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic bending???: 3-D printed models.
Laserschwert wrote:
mitservices wrote:
And FD: I received a Blastboat today, which appears to be exuding some type of ?oil?? gulp What's up with that - is it something I should worry about 'sweating' out of the model after it has been painted?

Happened to my FUD model as well. That's just residue of the wax that was used as a support material during printing. You should thoroughly wash the model in luke (no pun) warm soap water (I've used dish wash soap, which worked just fine) and a soft brush (I've used a toothbrush) before painting it. As with any model that's to be painted, oil is especially bad for your paint to stick to, so washing beforehand is always recommended.

So don't worry, it's no "sweating" or anything. Just residue that has liquified during the time of shipping.

I am curious: is there a way of heating/bending shapeways ships safely?

Since it came slightly warped, I applied a bit of heat to the wings of my FD Blastboat, and on attempting to gently flex the wings, I heard a distinct 'crack' noise. I immediately stopped applying pressure.

Unless there is a way for me to do this, I will have a slightly warped Blastboat. soblue To compensate for this, I may simply mount the ship in a slightly 'banked' attitude, to make the warpage less noticeable.

HELP please,

~Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.