Bel Aire
Kansas
flag msg tools
publisher
http://www.eggrules.com/games/games-d-l/gallerist-the/
badge
US Sales Manager for Eagle-Gryphon Games
mbmbmbmbmb
After demoing Karesansui and High Society with Boomer and Greg, I met Dee and her daughter Robin, who stopped by to look at the collection of games I had available to demo. I chatted with them about their interests and asked if anything caught their eye. They wanted something short and fun to play and they were also Mineral enthusiasts. I brought out Gem Dealer, explaining the rules as I was setting up the game. Greg stayed to try this one out as well.

In Gem Dealer, you are trying to acquire one of each of the different colored gems, or in a shorter game 4 out of 5 of the gems. Each player has a hand of cards showing either different gems worth a certain point value, or a wild gem worth 7 or 10 points. Players lay down card(s) of a single gem color declaring there total point value as their bid, then draw one new card. To stay in the round, following players must lay down a higher value of cards in that color of gem then draw a new card. If they can't, they are out of the round but still draw one new card.

I decided to start off the game with a bid on a green gem. Greg, Robin, and Dee all had to pass. After winning the first round, I then went after a white gem. This time, Greg, was able to get in on the bidding as well. I was able to win this time as well. Next up, I tried for Purple. I got a lot of resistance on this one losing out to Greg.

As play continued on Greg was able to get a strong lead with three gems, only one away from the win with the shorter game. Robin was able to win her first gem by using a 7 wild card. Dee had yet to win a gem, and I had the two I won in the first couple of rounds. In the next round, after Robin won her gem, Greg got the final gem he needed for the win.

Dee and Robin had a great time playing and enjoyed the game. Dee chatted with me about how to get a copy because she thought it would go over great with her group of friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McDuff
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"'A grey man,' she said. 'Neither white nor black, but partaking of both. Is that what you are, Ser Davos?' 'What if I am? It seems to me most men are grey.'" -- Lady Melisandre of Asshai and Ser Davos Seaworth from A Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin
badge
A small part of a 17,000 pushpin video game art project I was involved with.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out Ivanhoe rather than Gem Dealer. I have both, and while they're very similar games, most people prefer the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.