England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
Making a decision...

If I were to detail the gaming evolution I have experienced in the past five years this short(ish) thread would become a magnum opus, taking days both to write and to read.

I will, therefore, endeavour to keep it brief, mentioning only those points salient to my central decision that:

I will not be buying any games during 2014... surprise

I started out on this journey following a route well-trodden by many other gamers through the foothills of increasingly complex Euro-games, until none satisfied me any longer.

With no forethought or planning I found myself drawn towards a gaming genre that had previously been alien and undesirable: wargames.

My brother had been a wargamer of old, playing and owning pretty much everything that Avalon Hill made and thus consigning these titles to oblivion for me. He was, you see, much older and more sophisticated and mature and, yes I have to admit it, just far brighter and more capable at pretty much everything. If he played wargames therefore I would, quite simply, be unable to do so...

This seemingly insurmountable obstacle to my ever partaking of wargames lost its resonance, however, when I hit the impasse of needing to game but not having any Euros left that could meaningfully engage, stimulate and challenge me. I’d reached the end of the line and I either had to give up on gaming altogether or take on a genre in which I would be blissfully out of my depth.

Already I am digressing a little - I will get back to the crux of the issue...

In the past two years I have started out on a brand new adventure into wargaming which has totally eclipsed any previous involvement and commitment. Bluntly put, this has however rather worryingly become something more akin to an obsession or an addiction than a hobby.

I have bought and played a great many games during this period (I don’t have the time or inclination to delineate them - suffice to say, a LOT!!) but of late rather perplexing traits have become apparent. For example, whilst playing Sekigahara with my son we both perceived it to be our mutually superlative wargaming experience. Instead of celebrating and luxuriating in this moment we immediately started to research what other games might scratch a similar itch - Sekigahara thereby soon found itself back on the shelf as more new games were ordered and played. blush

This experience provided the epiphany I needed to address my slide into the abyss of buying and storing that was now engulfing me. I made the definitive and irreversible decision to impose an immediate moratorium upon any purchasing of new games; thus saving myself from being lost in the maelstrom of avarice and desire that was clearly leaving me un-satiated and my games at best under-explored and at worst completely un-played, sometimes even unopened!!

I cannot, with a clear conscience, allow this to happen and so the decision has been taken and will be stringently adhered to that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER will I purchase any games during 2014.
This is NOT to be perceived in any way as a negative choice or as a vote against wargaming. In fact, it is diametrically the opposite on both counts.

2014 is going to be the year in which I get back to the reasons I love to game, immersing myself ever deeper into the wargames which I already own. This will enable me to more fully appreciate and enjoy their hidden nuances and explore depths which ordinarily would have been lost to me as I inexorably pushed on to the next game.

Do not, therefore, pity me - instead be glad that in terms of the time, energy and money I will save in my usual futile pursuit of the unattainable I will be able instead to positively stay focused and be satisfied with what I already have.

I am sure that there are various spiritual lessons to be learnt from these travails and realisations and I will seek to apply them. I am also hugely gratified to be making a pro-active decision that better honours my left-wing tendencies, rather than rather meekly and passively over-feeding the voracious spectre of gaming-Capitalism that looked certain to devour and destroy my gaming pleasure.

I still have a small number of games arriving for Christmas and then that, my wargaming friends, is that.

An arid year of purchasing will then be much more than redeemed by a year verdant in wargaming enjoyment.

Oh how I LOVE life’s little paradoxes...

I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you who has contributed to my enjoyment, engagement and understanding of this wonderful gaming genre. I would also like to wish all of you a very happy, contented and enjoyable Christmas and a New Year in which all your gaming plans and dreams are realised...
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Good luck to you sir. I almost feel inspired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I'll join you. Unless any new OCS games are published, got to have a caveat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be forced to join you now that the world's postal services seem to have been recently taken over by bandits, bushrangers and highwaymen

...except the Canadian postal service which I'm pretty sure has ALWAYS been run by such people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. You seem quite determined. I give it until April. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Hmmm. You seem quite determined. I give it until April. devil

I am a pretty determined guy - my wife, however, agrees with you

I am not saying it's going to be easy, I just genuinely feel that in the long run I am going to REALLY benefit from this decision.

For a start, it'll mean getting A Victory Denied and Infidel back on the table - that alone is pretty exciting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
I may be forced to join you now that the world's postal services seem to have been recently taken over by bandits, bushrangers and highwaymen

...except the Canadian postal service which I'm pretty sure has ALWAYS been run by such people

You forgot Pirates, brigands and thieves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve sines
msg tools
mb
I've been saying that for years and although i don't buy so many these days i've still got to get what takes my eye.Where there is discord should be on its way shortly,hmmmmm.And i will have to get hunters when it gets to blighty.But i agree with you about playing a game once or twice and then moving onto the next,or never playing it at all.I've got games going back over twenty years that i have never played.
I think all gamers are afflicted the same way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Me . . . too . . . no.

I wish I could.

I think new Warhammer dwarfs are coming out this spring, though. And X-wing expansions. And wargames to try.

What I might try to do is not buy anything unless it's traded for or bought with the profits from selling the piles of stuff I have that need to be sold. That's a much more realistic goal for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Me . . . too . . . no.

I wish I could.

I think new Warhammer dwarfs are coming out this spring, though. And X-wing expansions. And wargames to try.

What I might try to do is not buy anything unless it's traded for or bought with the profits from selling the piles of stuff I have that need to be sold. That's a much more realistic goal for me.

That was my method during 2013 and I really enjoyed it - I felt that it gave me a greater appreciation of the games I was buying.

I just want to crank it up another level this year... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mhhhhh.... I should try not to design any wargames in 2014. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thechangingman wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Me . . . too . . . no.

I wish I could.

That was my method during 2013 and I really enjoyed it - I felt that it gave me a greater appreciation of the games I was buying.

I just want to crank it up another level this year... cool

Well I'm on the same path of 'games . . . ooh euros . . . OOH wargames . . . Oh **** this is a lot of stuff.'

So maybe I'm just following in your footsteps step for step!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A wise decision.

I think it's perfectly valid (and desirable) to make an up front decision on how many games you wish to have in your collection, and stick to it. It makes much easier to scrutinize purchases and decide whether you really want a new game or not.

Your dauntless decision, to combat commander inside of you is commendable.

That being said, you still have a lot of Euro stuff which could be sold (or traded) to free up some wargaming stuff space on the shelves. This way it's just a rotation. Just sayin'...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

No Retreat: The Martian Front.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And a suggestion for you: Give away some of those games to players in need! meeple

Or at least trade some. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
licinius wrote:

No Retreat: The Martian Front.arrrh

Must... Resist... The Urge to... Design... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechangingman wrote:
Making a decision...

... NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER will I purchase any games during 2014.

2014 is going to be the year in which I get back to the reasons I love to game, immersing myself ever deeper into the wargames which I already own. This will enable me to more fully appreciate and enjoy their hidden nuances and explore depths which ordinarily would have been lost to me as I inexorably pushed on to the next game.

Interesting move. I did this between purchasing Empire of the Sun in 2004 and FAB Bulge in 2010. A very liberating experience. Just remember to take it a day at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:
A wise decision.

I think it's perfectly valid (and desirable) to make an up front decision on how many games you wish to have in your collection, and stick to it. It makes much easier to scrutinize purchases and decide whether you really want a new game or not.

Your dauntless decision, to combat commander inside of you is commendable.

That being said, you still have a lot of Euro stuff which could be sold (or traded) to free up some wargaming stuff space on the shelves. This way it's just a rotation. Just sayin'...devil

Yup, one step ahead of you there

I've been going through ALL of my games over the past couple of days and I've made the decision that any game I've not played during 2013 (with the exception of a couple that have significant sentimental value/memories...) will be on eBay over the next couple of weeks. Times are hard and this should raise some much-required income...

The whole experience has been rather liberating laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martyn, you should make a geeklist of all the games that you play in 2014 - see how many dusty titles you can get back to the table. Might serve as an ongoing reminder of your intention too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of Ebay, may I suggest you create a trade geek list and auction the games that way. Much faster and easier way to sell, using bgg marketplace (which also charges less commission than ebay).

There is a section with trade geek lists on the front page (if you can't see it, just customize the front page view). There you can see a bunch of examples. It's the fastest way to do it. I've done it two years in a row. Not this year though, cause what I have now it's here to stay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Martyn, you should make a geeklist of all the games that you play in 2014 - see how many dusty titles you can get back to the table. Might serve as an ongoing reminder of your intention too?

Hmmm, that sounds like a VERY good idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:
Instead of Ebay, may I suggest you create a trade geek list and auction the games that way. Much faster and easier way to sell, using bgg marketplace (which also charges less commission than ebay).

There is a section with trade geek lists on the front page (if you can't see it, just customize the front page view). There you can see a bunch of examples. It's the fastest way to do it. I've done it two years in a row. Not this year though, cause what I have now it's here to stay.

I may just get back to you on this. My experience with BGG marketplace has been rather hit-and-miss I am afraid, whereas eBay has worked well 100% of the time.

Having said which, I would of course ALWAYS prefer to support BGG in any way I can...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I'll be losing twenty pounds. (What is that in stones?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of experiences I have had at conventions, where no matter what you were playing, you were thinking about the next game you could be playing. It was very hard to stay in the moment, since it was a rare chance to play any of a large number of games, and potential things always have a sparkly glow that current things do not - the same thing that makes us want to buy new stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is a good goal, between both Santa Grogs, and my SS generosity I have a ton of new war games and games, to play (Besides ones Ive not touched yet). I really dont need anything new and have plenty to play through and enjoy in the coming year.

I will join you Martyn on your quest with two of the following exceptions:
Anything The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 related I will P500 as I have given my word that I will (Not a cop out/excuse, I did give my word but I also really want their games).

My wife and I will continue to buy one of each Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game expansion that comes out. However, these purchases will be made only from Amazon gift cards that come as rewards from our 'Bills' credit card, not using actual cash/money/credit.

So my friend, this should be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.