Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived my high school years during one of the most unique times in rock music. The late 80's, when the hair was large and all the songs were unapologetically energetic.

I was that guy you saw in the hallway who gave you a dirty look when you said how much you loved the band on my t-shirt and only knew the ballad that was played on the radio. I was in horrible bands that had names like Rattlebonez and Neon Gutter. My hair was longer and prettier than my girlfriend's. I stayed up all Saturday night to watch Headbangers Ball, just so I could see the hottest new bands before anyone else. My band played in bars that I wasn't old enough to be a paying customer in.

Time passed, grunge swept up the music world, and rock music became a lot more grumpy. I ended up becoming a turntable DJ and spent college playing late night raves and house parties. It was a similar energy to what I missed from the butt rock era, only with worse music. I shaved my head. MTV stopped playing videos.

More time passed, I grew up and got married. My hair never grew back. My music tastes still reflected a wide range, but missing are those cassettes of the late 80's, with questionable liner notes and horrible sounding lyrics that would get anyone today arrested when uttered to a member of the opposite sex.

This morning I rose from a dream where I was setting up music equipment in a dive bar like the old days, and was inspired to track down some old classics to listen to on the long snowy drive in to work.

I popped in the cd (oh how I miss the click of a cassette tape), hit shuffle, and was shocked at what I heard. While I can't say I loved many of the songs in the same way with a more mature musical pallet... I was in awe that I remembered all the words to songs I hadn't heard in over 25 years. I was giggling to myself "oh man, THAT'S what those lyrics meant!" I for once enjoyed my time stuck in rush hour, almost feeling my hair still tucked behind a headband, and air swishing through my torn jeans.

So here, beloved chit chatters... post your favorite moments of 80's butt rock nostalgia. Post the videos you taped off of Headbangers Ball. I'm not just talking about Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer either... I'm talking old classics like this that you had to listen to Z-Rock to hear...

Ahhhhhh yeah...

And a word of warning... my videos are only going to get "worse" from here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Behold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who didn't live through it, or never wanted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Pete! I never took you for a butt-rocker!
When butt-rock became "the enemy" The Ball always did a good job of rolling with the times and showing alt-metal bands and even heavier alternative stuff.

When MTV abruptly cancelled Headbanger's Ball was when MTV officially jumped the shark for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I worked at Tacobell in high school, we would always be the closers, and afterword we'd head over to a friends house, smoke a doobie and chill out watching the Headbangers Ball on MTV with Blackie Lawles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Headbangers Ball was the way us midwestern kids found out about the changing rock landscape. I was more of a european metal (Iron Maiden, Helloween, etc) kind of guy, and dabbled in thrash... but I couldn't resist a poppy catchy chorus from the more commercially fiendly pop rock bands.

Even if I didn't like the band, I'd go to the show. It was a lifestyle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sit back at put your tray tables in an upright and locked position ladies and gentlemen cause we are headed for Armageddon!

Hoooooooooooo!

Roll for initiative!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
SWEET MAHOGANY. I actually owned all of the CDs that featured the songs listed so far. Even this one:

EDIT: Tora Tora and Danger Danger toured together at one point. I used to know a guy in a band with another repeated word band name (I think it was Never Never), and he tried really hard to get on that tour with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
SWEET MAHOGANY. I actually owned all of the CDs that featured the songs listed so far. Even this one:

Heh, I didn't even have to start the video to know the words.

At the girl school, cause my baby broke all the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best live album ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Would the Red Hot Chili Peppers be considered butt rock? And where did that term even originate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
braveheart101 wrote:
Would the Red Hot Chili Peppers be considered butt rock?
Too alternative to be butt-rock.
braveheart101 wrote:
And where did that term even originate?
People apply the term "butt-rock" retroactively to what we always just called "hair metal" back in the day. Technically, butt-rock is any lame, obvious, trite, mainstream rock that wallows in an almost hilariously bad caricature of itself. Nickelback & Creed are good examples of modern butt-rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure my butt did not rock in the late 80s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
Would the Red Hot Chili Peppers be considered butt rock? And where did that term even originate?

Honestly I'm not sure where the term came from, but basically only was used for metal bands in the 80's that used the big hair, tight pants, makeup wearing to an extreme.

RHCP were considered more of a proto-punk alternative band and while the line was blurred as well as the time they released the early albums, they were very much an alternative rock band thanks to the ska/punk flavor that they used early on. I do think that RHCP might have shown up on HBB with Higher Ground once or twice, they were considered pretty mellow by that standard.

Here's some more obscure Headbangers Ball classics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I still have this album on my iPod:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

EDIT: Tora Tora and Danger Danger toured together at one point. I used to know a guy in a band with another repeated word band name (I think it was Never Never), and he tried really hard to get on that tour with them.

Yep, and I think George Lynch or Lynch Mob was the headliner. I didn't stay for the whole thing. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I went.

edit.....this song IS a guilty pleasure of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I still have this album on my iPod:

I was pretty blown away by the second album "All Systems Go," which gave us the debut of Mark Slaughter as the replacement singer:

who then gave us Slaughter:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
stagger lee wrote:
I was pretty blown away by the second album "All Systems Go," which gave us the debut of Mark Slaughter as the replacement singer:

I had that one and the Slaughter CD when I was younger, but when I went back and re-listened to a lot of it when converting my CD collection to MP3s, those didn't make the cut. The original VVI album was cheesy but blistering; everything with Mark Slaughter was just cheesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:

Growing up in New York, you could keep your Eddie Van Halen, every kid wanted to be Vito Bratta.

Those eyebrows!

"Wait" is one of those songs I'm surprised some modern R&B or pop singer hasn't remade yet. I mean it worked for Mariah Carey...

Interestingly, I was working at a record shop just down the hall from there when this was filmed. She walked by the shop and I was SHOCKED with how short she was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Helloween

Man, I loved Helloween. I still listen to Keeper of the Seven Keys parts I and II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:

Growing up in New York, you could keep your Eddie Van Halen, every kid wanted to be Vito Bratta.

I saw White Lion open for Kiss back when Wait was just released. They were one of the best opening acts I've ever seen. Great band.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I graduated HS in 1988 and only embraced Hair Metal long after it was dead.

Ironically embraced it. I used to DJ at a crappy punk bar and slipped a set in every now and then and in the early 90s you could get metal t-shirts at Goodwill 5 for $1. I just would buy new clothes on discount Tuesday instead of washing my dirty clothes

Wish to god that I had the foresight to save them all. Vintage Metal Ts sell for shitloads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:

Wish to god that I had the foresight to save them all. Vintage Metal Ts sell for shitloads.

No doubt! The shitload of concerts I went to in the 80's, Maiden, Scorps, Ozzy, etc. etc. I had a ton of concert tee's. All probably sold for a nickel a piece by my mom in some garage sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.