Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All you need to do is get a set of the Classic Counters, it seems to me.

They're not really the "Classic Counters" at all, actually, but merely all the DE OGRE Pieces done in the classic style, which was something that wasn't clear to me, at least, in the descriptions I read.

So if you need to have a version of DE OGRE that can fit in a briefcase, all you have to do is buy a set of the classic counters and pack up the maps you need, scenario book and rules and you have something that's easily no larger than any ordinary wargame.

As a matter of fact, I could see the "Classic Set" serving as the basis for a stripped down version of OGRE than could be kept in print after the full DE are all gone.

As far as I can tell, from a quick perusal of the Classic Counter sheet it has examples of just about everything that is in DE. For example, I have heard it said that the BGG sheet is the only place to get a Ninja Ogre, and that's true for the 3D version, but the Classic set also has a Ninja. There's also examples of many other unit types not seen in the Pocket Edition and other classic versions of the game previously published, such as Engineers, Marines, Fencers, Reactors, Lasers and Laser Towers, missile crawlers, trains, trucks, hover trucks, Superheavy Tanks, etc.

Now, one set of the Classic Counters may not give complete freedom to design any force mix you want, compared to the full DE, and it's not 3D and in full color. But for playing purposes it's more than adequate.

I have seen some BGG Ogre fans carving up their DE boxes to create a more portable edition, but it seems to me that using the Classic Counter set may be better than taking a box cutter to your DE game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:

They're not really the "Classic Counters" at all, actually, but merely all the DE OGRE Pieces done in the classic style, which was something that wasn't clear to me, at least, in the descriptions I read.

Why do you say this? I own the classic counters, and had the old versions too. The classic counters are just what I wanted. They are square, not the oddly shaped wedges used in the DE. They have the same old-style "8-bit" artwork that the old counters had. But now they are full sized, and die cut.

Perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Butler
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin_Whitmore wrote:
wargamer55 wrote:

Why do you say this? I own the classic counters, and had the old versions too. The classic counters are just what I wanted. They are square, not the oddly shaped wedges used in the DE. They have the same old-style "8-bit" artwork that the old counters had. But now they are full sized, and die cut.

Perfect!

If I had to guess, I would think that "They're not really the Classic Counters" was intended to mean that the Classic Counter set available with ODE is not the same as the Classic Counters that were part of the original Ogre, for example.
Same style and shape, sized for ODE, but the new ones have a much larger variety of unit types than the original.

I'm not aware of any pictures of the sheets, but there is a PDF version available from E23:
http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-5011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray for classic counters. Got a bunch and a three-pack of Ogre boards for gifts for grandkids in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas gamer wrote:
Hooray for classic counters. Got a bunch and a three-pack of Ogre boards for gifts for grandkids in the future.

Okay, that was smart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thai Beamonte
United States
Kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
Really? Is everything you need contained in the classic counters? What about 3 or 4 player scenarios, can you play those with just the classic counters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The classic counters primarily serve a two-force game. There are a few gray colored Ogres. s you could possibly do alternate scenarios for multiple players.

I love Ogre and GEV. But I've never viewed them as especially great as multiplayer games. Obviously, there are a lot of dissenting opinions - there are a lot of other forces that can be employed in the new edition.

I would be willing to try a multiplayer scenario. My worry is that the chaos of having several turns between your turn would warp the game. The I-GO-U-GO model of Ogre works reasonably well as a two-player game. It might be just fine for more players. But I have my doubts.

And jumping back to the original comment that evoked my original response: The classic counters are truly classic counters. Sure, some of them did not appear in Ogre. But they did previously appear in either GEV, Shockwave or other expansions. The art is really from the 80's, and not recently done in an old style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, you could go the other way: "Yes! With the classic counters, you can play all the 3-4-player scenarios included in the game!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thai Beamonte
United States
Kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
So, with the Classic Counters you should be able to play all scenarios for Ogre and G.E.V. for 2 players, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garabdorje wrote:
So, with the Classic Counters you should be able to play all scenarios for Ogre and G.E.V. for 2 players, right?

That should not be a problem. :-)

Don't forget, the Classic Counters are also available as a free PDF download. If you really want 3, 4 or more, one option would be to print your own counters on different colored paper or use hilighters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin_Whitmore wrote:

I love Ogre and GEV. But I've never viewed them as especially great as multiplayer games. Obviously, there are a lot of dissenting opinions - there are a lot of other forces that can be employed in the new edition.

I would be willing to try a multiplayer scenario. My worry is that the chaos of having several turns between your turn would warp the game. The I-GO-U-GO model of Ogre works reasonably well as a two-player game. It might be just fine for more players. But I have my doubts.

There are a few different ways to play "multiplayer", too. I often demo the basic Ogre game with 3 or 4 people (although if I have 4, I usually just run two games at the same time). If you take the Mk V scenario and split the Mk V into two Mk III Ogres, or split the conventional forces in half (half white, half black), you have a quick 3 or 4 player setup.

About the only major change in this case is forces on the same "side" can shoot at the same target, but can't combine attack strength. This represents that they are cooperative forces, but not completely in sync. Everybody moves, then everybody shoots, etc.

"True" multiplayer scenarios (ie, not cooperative), especially on G.E.V. maps, work well enough, but are completely different games. Having to watch your back puts a whole new twist on things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thai Beamonte
United States
Kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
I though about making my own, but W13 description of the Classic Counters mentions 6 sheets and the PDF file only has 2. I think the PDF file is not complete. Has anyone made a list or manifest of the units contained in the Classic Counters? That way it will be easy to know what I am missing with the free PDF file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garabdorje wrote:
I though about making my own, but W13 description of the Classic Counters mentions 6 sheets and the PDF file only has 2. I think the PDF file is not complete. Has anyone made a list or manifest of the units contained in the Classic Counters? That way it will be easy to know what I am missing with the free PDF file.

The retail pack of the classic counters has 3 copies of each of the 2 sheets included in the PDF. You are not missing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin_Whitmore wrote:
The art is really from the 80's, and not recently done in an old style.

70s, even!

(Just got my reprint of the original 1977 $2.95 set, yay!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.