Popular Tags: [View All]
Marius Ødegård
Norway
Høvik
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject kind of explains my problem.
I am a backer for base game plus all expansions plus high priests plus all neutral GOO, and I'm starting to grow a tad concerned that I will not be able to find the right miniature when needed.

There are a -lot- of different ones and with the GOO especially there are a lot of "well, this certainly looks Lovecraftian!" ones.

I am not well versed enough in Lovecraftian Lore to be able to be able to ID every monstrosity and GOO on sight and I'm fairly certain I am not the only one with this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Eremiel wrote:
Subject kind of explains my problem.
I am a backer for base game plus all expansions plus high priests plus all neutral GOO, and I'm starting to grow a tad concerned that I will not be able to find the right miniature when needed.

There are a -lot- of different ones and with the GOO especially there are a lot of "well, this certainly looks Lovecraftian!" ones.

I am not well versed enough in Lovecraftian Lore to be able to be able to ID every monstrosity and GOO on sight and I'm fairly certain I am not the only one with this problem.

The faction cards should have silouhettes for each monster and GOO, also you'll be helped by the color of the miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan is a sharpie on the bottom of the base. Just to help others, yea that's the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't that hard there are only 4 different monster for each faction. At least 1 of them being a great old one. So if you introduce the new expansions slowly to your playing group, it shouldn't be to much to take in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben and Rene both have good ideas:
sharpie on bottom of base, and introduce neutrals slowly.

All monsters and GOOs, as the other Arthur said, have silhouettes on their faction cards, or loyalty cards for independents.

While the silhouettes aren't perfect, I can't remember a single time anyone played with the prototype minis and had an issue. I.e., once they were told "that's a hunting horror," they pretty much remembered. For your own faction, another way to tell is that there are different numbers of monsters per type for almost everything (some exceptions include 2 shoggoths AND 2 star spawns for Cthulhu, but those are easy to differentiate by silhouette).

As I said in another thread yesterday, even the blobby monsters are quite easy to distinguish one from another. As soon as you learn what each is, you will be able to differentiate easily.

There ARE a huge number of different minis, however, especially when you play a 5 player game, or throw in various indie GOOs and monsters.
But, in the end, they all look quite distinct and unique, so first identify by silhouette, etc., then it's a matter of memorizing.

Introducing indies slowly will help immensely, I imagine.

My suggestion:
play a 3 player game first on the regular map, with 3 of the basic factions only. Then, play 4 player on the same map with the 4 basic factions. This is typically our method for introducing new players (though often enough they begin with 4 players). The bigger issue for new players is discovering how other factions can mess with them! Understanding and remembering abilities is much more of a problem than knowing monster types.

After that, start using other playable factions until you know all the faction specific units. Then add whatever indies look coolest until you've used them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Ben and Rene both have good ideas:
sharpie on bottom of base, and introduce neutrals slowly.

All monsters and GOOs, as the other Arthur said, have silhouettes on their faction cards, or loyalty cards for independents.

While the silhouettes aren't perfect, I can't remember a single time anyone played with the prototype minis and had an issue. I.e., once they were told "that's a hunting horror," they pretty much remembered. For your own faction, another way to tell is that there are different numbers of monsters per type for almost everything (some exceptions include 2 shoggoths AND 2 star spawns for Cthulhu, but those are easy to differentiate by silhouette).

As I said in another thread yesterday, even the blobby monsters are quite easy to distinguish one from another. As soon as you learn what each is, you will be able to differentiate easily.

There ARE a huge number of different minis, however, especially when you play a 5 player game, or throw in various indie GOOs and monsters.
But, in the end, they all look quite distinct and unique, so first identify by silhouette, etc., then it's a matter of memorizing.

Introducing indies slowly will help immensely, I imagine.

My suggestion:
play a 3 player game first on the regular map, with 3 of the basic factions only. Then, play 4 player on the same map with the 4 basic factions. This is typically our method for introducing new players (though often enough they begin with 4 players). The bigger issue for new players is discovering how other factions can mess with them! Understanding and remembering abilities is much more of a problem than knowing monster types.

After that, start using other playable factions until you know all the faction specific units. Then add whatever indies look coolest until you've used them all.

I prefer the method of not telling people what crap your guys do then unleash it on them. THEN they will never forget what things do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I prefer the method of not telling people what crap your guys do then unleash it on them. THEN they will never forget what things do.

well, yeah. That's why I said "the bigger issue for new players is discovering how other factions can mess with them!"

Get back to work, you slacker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should print little tiny nametags on sticky paper and stick them to an appropriate spot on each model.

Hello, My Name is:
Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose to be ornery you could make up names when playing with people not versed in Lovecraft.
"Oh, I would move Flarctothokpuk and attack Gwoob-Shoosh-Blammik!"
Other players start scouring player boards for Flarctothokpuk and Gwoob-Shoosh-Blammik...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Quote:

well, yeah. That's why I said "the bigger issue for new players is discovering how other factions can mess with them!"

Get back to work, you slacker!

This goes back to the discussion regarding detailed spell book descriptions. When you have to spell everything out it takes away from the richness of the game. My response is simply... thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
I suppose to be ornery you could make up names when playing with people not versed in Lovecraft.
"Oh, I would move Flarctothokpuk and attack Gwoob-Shoosh-Blammik!"
Other players start scouring player boards for Flarctothokpuk and Gwoob-Shoosh-Blammik...

Calm down there, Satan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Ødegård
Norway
Høvik
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great suggestions here. Thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there are silhouettes of the figures on your faction cards, and loyalty cards (Loyalty cards are what you get when you awaken an Independent GOO or "buy" a neutral monster type).

However, these silhouettes only tell you what YOUR monsters are - not your neighbor's. It might make a difference if the monster he invades you with is an Elder Thing instead of just a Servitor of the Outer Gods.

I like the suggestions here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.