Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just compared the rules of the German edition by Pegasus Spiele to the English rules of Tempest edition and Kanai Factory edition and discovered that Pegasus Spiele took the liberty of changing quite a bit. I thought I'd share the differences I found for whoever is interested:

1. According to the Pegasus rules you have only one discard pile for all players and it sounds like you are only allowed to see the last card discarded on it.
In both English editions, it is made explicitly clear that you get to see all discarded cards so that you can make better educated guesses about which cards remain for the other player's hands without having to memorise the discards.
Boo to Pegasus for changing that offhandedly!
(Unless AEG already changed it from the Japanese original I can't read, then boo to Pegasus for not having done the same! )
I am a strong proponent of the gaming principle that all relevant information that the players would know with perfect memory should stay accessible for the entire game. Except in Memory, but if I wanted to play that, I would go for the original...
Granted, Love Letter has so few cards that it isn't much trouble to memorise them. But still. This is supposed to be a light filler, so being forced to pay the attention to memorise makes the game worse in my opinion.
So I'll definitely play with the English rule on this.

2. Pegasus left out the tiebreaker the Tempest edition has. In the latter, the player who discarded the highest total value of cards wins the tie, this wouldn't work with only one discard pile for all players.
In the Pegasus edition, all tied players gain a token. This is the rule in the Kanai Factory edition as well.
I don't care too much about that, ties should be quite rare anyway.
However, while Pegasus left out the round tiebreaker, they came up with a new game tiebreaker: In case the entire game would end tied (because two players tied in the round where both only needed one more token to win), the youngest (!) player wins. Such a rule might make a little bit of sense when one child plays with lots of adults but is simply stupid otherwise in my opinion. I have already been used to ignore rules like "youngest player begins" or "oldest player begins" in games for a very long time (even when I was a child), but I think this is the first time I have ever seen a rule that wants to decide who wins the game by age.

3. The Pegasus rules specify that you must keep secret the information you gained about another player's card by playing King, Baron or Priest. In the Tempest edition that is only partially mentioned for the Priest, so I think Pegasus' rules are clearer and better here (especially considering I have seen three threads here on BGG asking for a clarification of the English rules on this).

4. The number of tokens needed to win the game are different in all three editions:
In the Kanai factory edition, you need 4 tokens independently of the number of players.
In the Tempest edition, you need 7/5/4 tokens with 2/3/4 players.
In the Pegasus edition, you need 5/4/3 tokens with 2/3/4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darador wrote:

1. According to the Pegasus rules you have only one discard pile for all players and it sounds like you are only allowed to see the last card discarded on it.

Just a thought, but perhaps this refers specifically to discarded cards, rather than played cards.

Being targeted by the Prince makes you discard your hand. When this happens I place the discarded card face up in the middle of the table. Played cards go face up in front of the player. This only makes a difference if you use the AEG Tempest version tie breaker.

In any event, I believe that all played/discarded cards should be face up and visible to all players (no stacked cards) to allow for logical deduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
[q="Darador"]
Just a thought, but perhaps this refers specifically to discarded cards, rather than played cards.

No, according to both English editions as well as the German edition, you discard a card when you play it. (With the exception of the Handmaiden which you don't discard until next turn according to the German rules.)
The English editions specify that you "discard fanned" so that you see all the cards. The German edition doesn't specify, but sounds to me ("legt er sie offen auf den Ablagestapel") as if you only see the topmost card (as normal for discard piles in most games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Darador wrote:

4. The number of tokens needed to win the game are different in all three editions:
In the Kanai factory edition, you need 4 tokens independently of the number of players.

Interestingly, in the original Japon Brand (English) edition, you play one round total. Playing to 2 is a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
Darador wrote:

Interestingly, in the original Japon Brand (English) edition, you play one round total. Playing to 2 is a variant.

Correct. Which is why it only includes 4 tokens.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kanai Factory:
+ Best artwork
+ good tie rule
- Minister sucks
- no nice red soft bag

US edition (tempest):
+ Countess much better
+ nice red soft bag
- Kitschy artwork
- tie rule sucks

German edition (pegasus):
+ nice box
+ nice card size and thickness
+ Nice hearts
- but not enough of those hearts (lower max score)
- bad rules
- bad card artwork (taking the US edition and just scaling it up and adding borders and playing with contrast ... to the worse)
- no nice red soft bag

p.s.: some might like the US artwork more, I don't but I bring that to the table cause the Japanese artwork is not fantasy-ish enough.

so if you buy two japanese, one US and 2 german editions you get a nice bag, nice hearts and nice cards - also there is the countess available for the Kanai Factory edition which fixes the minister ;p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Kanai Factory:
+ Best artwork
+ good tie rule
- Minister sucks
- no nice red soft bag

US edition (tempest):
+ Countess much better
+ nice red soft bag
- Kitschy artwork
- tie rule sucks

German edition (pegasus):
+ nice box
+ nice card size and thickness
+ Nice hearts
- but not enough of those hearts (lower max score)
- bad rules
- bad card artwork (taking the US edition and just scaling it up and adding borders and playing with contrast ... to the worse)
- no nice red soft bag

p.s.: some might like the US artwork more, I don't but I bring that to the table cause the Japanese artwork is not fantasy-ish enough.

so if you buy two japanese, one US and 2 german editions you get a nice bag, nice hearts and nice cards - also there is the countess available for the Kanai Factory edition which fixes the minister ;p

Ha! I like the Tempest artwork better, I think the risk/reward of the minister is an interesting piece of the Kanai edition, I think the cloth bag is borderline useless, and the lower German scoring is what I houseruled to already. To each his own I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
Darador wrote:

nate_lockhart wrote:
...the lower German scoring is what I houseruled to already. To each his own I guess

I actually struggle with this. We usually play Tempest Edition with Three to 4 cubes (hearts). The multiple hands really seems to level the luck factor.

I've wondered if we should try Lost Legacy to 4 wins as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darador wrote:

This was an internal miscommunication and is a mistake. It will be changed at the second print run. Players should place all discarded cards in front of them.

Quote:
2. Pegasus left out the tiebreaker the Tempest edition has.

This is still correct. The tiebreaker rules of the Tempest edition feels quite random and could be frustrating. Therefore we deleted this rule.

Quote:
In case the entire game would end tied (because two players tied in the round where both only needed one more token to win), the youngest (!) player wins.

This is a thematical thing. If a princess has to choose between two lovers, there is a high chance that she will choose the younger one.

However, if anybody does not like this tiebreaker rule, he or she may feel free to use a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thygra wrote:
Darador wrote:

This was an internal miscommunication and is a mistake. It will be changed at the second print run. Players should place all discarded cards in front of them.

Quote:
2. Pegasus left out the tiebreaker the Tempest edition has.

This is still correct. The tiebreaker rules of the Tempest edition feels quite random and could be frustrating. Therefore we deleted this rule.

Quote:
In case the entire game would end tied (because two players tied in the round where both only needed one more token to win), the youngest (!) player wins.

This is a thematical thing. If a princess has to choose between two lovers, there is a high chance that she will choose the younger one.

However, if anybody does not like this tiebreaker rule, he or she may feel free to use a house rule.

No doubt the tiebreaker in Tempest is dumb and random. That was a good change.

I don't think the Princess choosing the youngest is particularly thematic though. She might also prefer the oldest. Or the richest. Or the handsomest. Or the funniest. Or the nicest. But it isn't a big deal. We just call the Princess undecided and re-deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the German version and immediately noticed the rule difference regarding discards to one stack. Don't like it.

But I love the large cards and heart-shaped tokens! Looking forward to trying it auf Deutsch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.