Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently picked this one up and have a rather simple question after going through the rules.

Is each player's hand of cards kept secret, or is it all laid out face up on the table?

There are a couple of reasons I'm asking:

In the game setup section of the instructions, it specifically states that a secret petition card is dealt to each player, and then face up petition cards for all players to try to complete.

On the next page, in the Opening Auction section of the rules states that a hand of cards per player is dealt face up on the table, which all players may inspect them before bidding.

Once the bidding is over and the starting hands are taken, do the hands of cards become hidden information from that point on? Normally I would assume that in any game where players get a hand of cards, it is hidden information, but since the rules specify for the petition cards, and the hand cards start face up for the auction, I'm not sure here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your hands are kept secret.

Each player is dealt a secret petition card and then there are other petition cards face up that any player can try to complete. Once you complete your secret petition, you get another one that is kept secret. Once you complete a face up petition, it is replaced with another one face up.

As far as the auction for hands. It says for new players to deal out some random cards to each player, maybe 2 power and 3 influence. After players are more familiar with the cards and the game, you can start the game by having players call out type of cards they want drawn and then after everybody does that and everyone can see all the hands, then you can bid on the hands with influence markers.

After that is resolved, players take the cards in their hand and start playing. From that point on, the hands are kept secret, so anytime you draw cards, it is put in your hand and kept secret.

The main function of the auction it seems is for people to be able to get better hands buy paying more in influence markers, which could handicap them later in having to use actions to get more cubes from the reserve to their pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's exactly how i assumed it played. It didn't seem to make sense with open hands, but board games try new ideas all the time so i wanted to check. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That might be a cool idea for a game . . . Always good to question the assumptions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.