Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] [View All]
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never got a chance to play RPG, though Vampire: The Masquerade captured my imagination many years ago. Just couldn't get a group to play.

So now, I'm looking for something close to the RPG feel in a boardgame. Or even DTP RPG game. But solo.

Recommendations? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set should be at the top of your list. It is a campaign-centric game where you slowly build up and personalize your characters with loot and skill hoists. I am loving this solo. The big con is that it is pricey to get the full experience: 35-50 dollars for the base set and 5x$20 for the expansions. However, I am finding it worth it.

Mice and Mystics is a much lighter game but with a fuller story that can also be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other option is Mage Knight Board Game. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set though has campaigns, thus should give you the RPG feel more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
The other option is Mage Knight Board Game. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set though has campaigns, thus should give you the RPG feel more.
If you had to pick one, which would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Horton
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the RPG feel and solo play, the three Dungeon & Dragons board games Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game are best.

If you like Vampires go with Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
freddieyu wrote:

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, as basically it is the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game translated to a card game format, which is what you want.

Mage Knight Board Game is a deeper game though. Very thinky this game is..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
freddieyu wrote:

I can try to answer this if that's okay. I would definitely pick Pathfinder if I was going for a game that felt like an RPG. Mage Knight is probably the better game, but it is more like a dynamic puzzle in a fantasy setting. It does give you the feel of gaining levels/power, but in a much more condensed way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game. Solo is available as well. Though this is not a light game.. even the blitz modes take 2-3 hours per game.

It is a wonderful game, though. And the theme is strong. I definitely recommend the expansion, which introduces a very nice co-op (or solo) mode where you fight against a powerful enemy Volkare.

Other recommendations obviously would be to play an RPG game (D&D 4e is a good one, Pathfinder as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are war game suggestions in order?

The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 just came out, it is solo, and it has somewhat of an RPG feel. Your U-Boat sails on patrol after patrol trying to make it through the 1st half of the war. The player takes on the role of a U-Boat commander in WWII. Your captain can level up, some of your officers can level up, and the crew as a whole can also level up. On the other side of the coin, all these people can also be injured or killed over the course of the game, forcing you to replace them.

There are at least 2 dozen fanfic AARs posted already, you can read them to get a better idea of the RPG aspects of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Mageknight:TBG is not roleplayish in the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love the Pathfinder card game, the rpg aspect is extremely light. You get just a basic story to set you off playing, but it doesn't usually amount to much more than "track down this bad guy and his minions!"

It's too bad Descent can't be a solo game, or that would be my #1 recommendation.

Here's some games that will come close to giving you that RPG feel-
Mice & Mystics
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Agents of Smersh
Legends of Andor
Prophecy
Talisman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To throw another in the hat - HeroQuest? Granted, it's a bit pricey to pick up these days. And the 25th Anniversary Kickstarter got taken down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No boardgame will really provide a RPG feel (you are better off with computer games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ) but some can create a good sense of story, including Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island and Arkham Horror which also work well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Moore
United States
Riverton
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound and Warhammer Quest are the two closest after Magic Realm. All are out of print and quite expensive however...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
I've played that and liked it! Can it be played solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I can try to answer this if that's okay. I would definitely pick Pathfinder if I was going for a game that felt like an RPG. Mage Knight is probably the better game, but it is more like a dynamic puzzle in a fantasy setting. It does give you the feel of gaining levels/power, but in a much more condensed way.
And here is my dilemma.

I own all the Mage Knight offerings, but have been afraid of tearing off the shrink because it would be...disappointing. I thought about getting all the Pathfinder cards for Christmas, but backed off because of the Starlit Citadel review! It describes Pathfinder as a more intense Munchkin! Plus, one reason UndeadViking didn't like it was you had to write on the cards? Do you have to write on the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
As much as I love the Pathfinder card game, the rpg aspect is extremely light. You get just a basic story to set you off playing, but it doesn't usually amount to much more than "track down this bad guy and his minions!"
I've watched every video and read enough to agree. But some people I respect really love it! Undecided on this.

Quote:
It's too bad Descent can't be a solo game, or that would be my #1 recommendation.
Love Descent. Gotta have a GM to play the villain.

Quote:
Here's some games that will come close to giving you that RPG feel-
Mice & Mystics
This can be played solo?

Quote:
Agents of Smersh
This can be played solo?

Quote:
Legends of Andor
Oh, I'm glad you said this. Can you expand on what sets this apart from other board games as an RPG game? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a dungeon hack with leveling up, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is good for a campaign, Return of the Heroes is good for playing for one evening.

If you want more of a story and character choices, I would look at Tales of the Arabian Nights and Agents of SMERSH.

Whoops, I see your request for Solo. Look at Arabian nights and SMERSH, they are Solitaire focused (SMERSH is co op if you want.) Also Elder Sign and Arkham Horror are very good at telling a story with the players trying to stop the Mythos Threat. They are very Solo friendly, and dripping with atmosphere.

Also get to Gencon in August! You can get your game on in lots of one shot games and get some real RPG action going! They offer one game called the National Security Decision Making Game, you play factions in a nation, Political Parties, Ethnic and Social Groups, Military Branches, etc. You usually have 20 to 30 players, and it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freitag wrote:
For a dungeon hack with leveling up, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is good for a campaign, Return of the Heroes is good for playing for one evening.

If you want more of a story and character choices, I would look at Tales of the Arabian Nights and Agents of SMERSH.

Whoops, I see your request for Solo. Look at Arabian nights and SMERSH, they are Solitaire focused (SMERSH is co op if you want.) Also Elder Sign and Arkham Horror are very good at telling a story with the players trying to stop the Mythos Threat. They are very Solo friendly, and dripping with atmosphere.

Also get to Gencon in August! You can get your game on in lots of one shot games and get some real RPG action going! They offer one game called the National Security Decision Making Game, you play factions in a nation, Political Parties, Ethnic and Social Groups, Military Branches, etc. You usually have 20 to 30 players, and it's great.
OMG I might just do it. It's around my birthday. Are there any old people at Gencon? I'm talking 60s?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Realm
Far and away the best RPG-as-boardgame. Plays 1-16. Out of print, moderately expensive, rules very very difficult to grok. Well worth the effort to find and learn.

Runebound (Second Edition) -not sure how much d&d pencil and paper RPG credit I'd give it, but perhaps the best computer RPG-as-boardgame feel. Awesome game. Soloable

Mice and Mystics - truthfully, a story-driven dungeon call, but absolutely fantastic game. Soloable. Gameplay would compare to Descent with no Overlord. In print

Return of the Heroes Fantasy themed pick-up-and-deliver, with levelling

I enjoy Pathfinder card game, but would not call it an RPG in boardgame format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Lawrence
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings The card game might be worth a look. Role playing isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of this game, but with the introduction of the new campaign mode with The Black Riders expansion, it going to become more RPGish. It's a great game, and I only play it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Doc Hogan wrote:
Magic Realm
Far and away the best RPG-as-boardgame. Plays 1-16. Out of print, moderately expensive, rules very very difficult to grok. Well worth the effort to find and learn.

In addition to hunting down a used copy, you can also make your own copy or just play with the free Java-based computer version (Realmspeak). Magic Realm can easily be played solo, and actually has special solo-only rules (although not everyone thinks they are necessary for solo play).

To get a good idea of what Magic Realm is like, check out the tutorial:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79698/the-magic-realm-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Android does the RPG experience best, with Arkham Horror being a close second. There aren't any official solo rules, but I know there have been one or two users who have come up with solo variants that are posted here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think the game that fits your criteria best is Arkham Horror. Look no further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.