Shanti Massey
msg tools
As you may have guessed by my totally impartial title, I love this game.

It's easily one of my favorites. What I want to go into during this review is WHY I like it, and why you may or may not.

What is BattleCON Devastation of the Indines (or just DoI for short)?

DoI is a card game that approximates a 2D fighting game. More specifically, it is approximating the mental gymnastics that players calculate during a match.

If you are a fan of fighting games, particularly that aspect of fighting game where you anticipate and outmaneuver your opponent with just the right move, then this game may interest you.

How does the game play?

Each attack is composed of two cards. A "Base" and a "Style." Every character has the same set of bases (with one character specific one thrown in.) Styles are all character specific. Each player chooses a combination of these cards from their hand to make an attack.

Simple.

If its so simple why should I play?

Geez you ask a lot of questions....

Ok, so its not so simple. On key thing to know is that there are no random draws in the game. NONE. Every card in your hand and the enemies hand is known to both. There are usually two "Attack Pairs" in the discard, but they rotate back into your hand after a certain length of time.

So you know what they can do, and they know what you can do. It all comes down to figuring out how to counter there action.

So its like a fighting game, What game is it MOST like?

Blazblue.

DoI characters are almost games of their own. Each has a unique set of mechanics that help carve out a unique playstle. Part of the fun is to see how those playstyles match up against each other.

Haven't I heard of some "of the Indies" game before?

Your probably thinking of BattleCON: War of the Indines. Its the precursor to this game. DoI is a "Standalone Expansion" its much bigger and better that the original, and even more amazing, is totally compatible. So you can play those characters against the newer ones.

I need a rating number or something to figure out how good this game is.

Yeah ok.

Difficulty to Learn -
The game epitomizes easy to learn hard to master. The core rules are quite simple. Its all the various extentions and matchups that take awhile to learn
Replayability -
In my opinion, this is the games shining quality. Each matchup is like learning a new game. And there are SOOOOOO many matchups especially if you include the first game and promo characters. Lots of rules layers you can add to the game to spice it up over time, and so many extras its
insane that it fits in one box (and mostly it doesnt)
Quality of parts -
The quality is good, but the storage solution sure leaves a lot to be desired. Its so hard to fit in all the stuff.
Funfactor -
So far, everyone I showed it to enjoyed it. Maybe not to the same extent as me, but still, if you have any interest in a game where its all strategy and no luck, you should really take this one for a spin.

Overall -
Just amazing.
Are you still reading? Go! Buy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But I already did!

Also, the insert in the packaging sucks. That's pretty much the only thing that's the problem.

All the other components are pretty great and solid.

Also, nice to meet a fresh face. Welcome, Battler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh my wife already knows this is my big Christmas wish item! Oh why did I miss that kickstarter?! soblue

Great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review to my favorite card/board game in the history of forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a kickstarter currently for the next game in the same universe; Argent: The Consortium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanti Massey
msg tools
Having ghosted these forums and those on BCO, I know most of your icons and am happy to have posted a small bit with you all.

And yes, Argent is now in kickstarter. I'm temped to fund it, even though worker placement is not my favorite, solely because I feel I ripped Brad off when I got as much game as I did in DoI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you pronounce Indines? Like sardines or 3 syllables? Or I suppose it could be 2 syllables with long Is. Or is "es" silent?

And why were they devastated? Were they wiped out, or just really disappointed?

Man, after all that, I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Went in overboard on the kickstarter, and do not regret it one whit. Bunch of fun games, and the game itself has enough in it to keep me playing for years. Even though I don't really have anyone to play against... Maybe I'll have to put together a tourney and see about building a group around that (hey, I've got 2 sets to work with, so a series of 8 man flights would work rather well - just need one more play mat!).

That said, I'm always looking at ways of expanding the game even further... Anyone have the contact info for Fred Perry of Gold Digger fame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:
How do you pronounce Indines? Like sardines or 3 syllables? Or I suppose it could be 2 syllables with long Is. Or is "es" silent?

And why were they devastated? Were they wiped out, or just really disappointed?

Man, after all that, I don't know.

It's pronounced IN-DEANS.

And it's called Devastation because it talks of the era in Indines when the "evil" Overlord Rexan was resurrected (which is what everyone in War of Indines was trying NOT to happen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird title, hate anime, amazing game! Whenever the first thing you see when opening a new game is a "Dont Panic" you know your in for a lot of game.

Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.