Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On our occasional class parties, I love having board game days. We are a 1:1 iPad district so getting away from technology for a day actually works very well. I've played the following games with my class this year:

Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride
Conquest of the Empire

They've handled each pretty well. I have a little in the classroom kitty, and I'm looking for a new game to play for our next party. Would like to cap the player amount to 6. Any good suggestions? Would 7 Wonders be good for this?

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Carcassonne?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider 7 wonders to be a bit more difficult then TtR and SoC, but that doesn´t mean no (yet), do have the feeling they have been really challenged by the games you played so far?? If not, you could imo consider moving on to 7wonders, why not?! (7Wonders is playable with up to 7 players btw)

Apart from that:
Alhambra
Activity (any version)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say they ranked the games in this order:

1. TtR
2. CotE
3. SoC

They picked up all 3 fairly easily (rule reminders through the game, but I play with them), but SoC wasn't everyone's cup of tea. (Last year it was the opposite, they loved SoC but weren't as big on CotE)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are missing some shorter games for when you do not have the whole day to play. My 5th graders love Love Letter, For Sale and Anomia. If they are advanced gamers that can keep a game out for a while, Puerto Rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a 5th grade teacher and I have Fun Friday every week where we play board games for about 40 minutes. I have played the following with great success.

Survive: Escape From Atlantis
King of Tokyo
Pandemic
Flashpoint Fire Rescue
Takenoko
Ticket to Ride
Castle Panic
Fearsome Floors

Several of my kids have now purchased these games and bring in their own copies. An aide in my room purchased three of them for her kids for Christmas as a matter of fact...I'm spreading the hobby. Lol :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much time do you have? I'm surprised you find time. In my district, the days are packed with instruction planned down to the minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had to invent Fun Friday time so we had some consequence to take away from kids since we are no longer allowed to take away recess. It allows us to reward kids who did all their work or use it for kids who need to make up work so they aren't missing instruction. It also helps build classroom community, lets kids practice social skills, dispute mediation, etc. I have some kids with social IEPs so this allows some opportunities to address those needs as well. I have some boys who are desperate to play my "cool games" with me and have seen a real shift in their work habits so thy can earn tickets to exchange for a game board pass that earns them a seat at my table. Honestly, as a culture we have systematically sapped every ounce of joy from education in the pursuit of great scores on standardized tests and I'll be damned if we can't carve out a measly 40 minutes for us to have fun together as a class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game days are a bit farther between, but we do get the better part of the day to do activities. It's kind of a fun day, but it's a huge incentive that comes from the entire 9 week grading period. They have to earn several academic incentives to get to the party. So, we play a day, but it's only 4 times a year. We do play a little at the holiday party, but that's not as long with other things going on.

I ended up picking up King of Tokyo. Seems quirky enough that my current class will enjoy it and it'll make a nice addition to the classroom library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.