Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cell Portal......Huh? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
Playing more newbie games with friends and I made a run on my opponent's R&D. He had Cell Portal as his 1 piece of ice and rezzed it. My icebreaker didn't have enough strength to interact with Cell Portal, so I assume that means the subroutine triggers, right?

However, since CP is the only piece of ice in play, what happens? If it sends me to the first piece of ice again, i'm back looking at CP, which i still can't interact with.

Also, since the subroutine doesn't say "End the Run" does that mean i can somehow get past it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hwangman wrote:
Playing more newbie games with friends and I made a run on my opponent's R&D. He had Cell Portal as his 1 piece of ice and rezzed it. My icebreaker didn't have enough strength to interact with Cell Portal, so I assume that means the subroutine triggers, right?

However, since CP is the only piece of ice in play, what happens? If it sends me to the first piece of ice again, i'm back looking at CP, which i still can't interact with.

Also, since the subroutine doesn't say "End the Run" does that mean i can somehow get past it?


The subroutine that sends you back to the first piece of ice also says to derez Cell Portal. If it's the only ICE on a server, it doesn't actually end up doing anything except costing the Corp player credits.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
But if my icebreaker has 1 strength and CP has 7 strength, what's the interaction? Am i able to do anything with CP in that case? Would i be forced to end the run immediately because i don't meet the strength requirement, or does my lack of required strength cause the subroutine to run, de-rezzing CP and sending me back to the beginning?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no point in rezzing cell portal without at least one piece of ice in front of it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hwangman wrote:
But if my icebreaker has 1 strength and CP has 7 strength, what's the interaction? Am i able to do anything with CP in that case? Would i be forced to end the run immediately because i don't meet the strength requirement, or does my lack of required strength cause the subroutine to run, de-rezzing CP and sending me back to the beginning?


You can't do anything with Cell Portal, which sends you back out to the front and Derezzes itself. Then the corp can pay to rez it again, which will cause you to go back to the front, then the corp can pay again, etc.

Effectively, if the only ICE on a server is Cell Portal, it's as if there is no ICE at all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ice only ends the run if it has a subroutine that specifically ends the run. Not having the strength to break cell portals subroutine just means that you suffer the effects of that subroutine, which in this case is to derez the ice and then make you encounter it again. There is no way to keep you out of the server with just a cell portal.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
There is no point in rezzing cell portal without at least one piece of ice in front of it.


As with all things, there are exceptions. For example, if I were being hit by an Account Siphon and the only ICE I had on HQ was Cell Portal, I'd probably rez it if it would deny the Runner Siphon money.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:
There is no point in rezzing cell portal without at least one piece of ice in front of it.


As with all things, there are exceptions. For example, if I were being hit by an Account Siphon and the only ICE I had on HQ was Cell Portal, I'd probably rez it if it would deny the Runner Siphon money.


Also if it's free to you to rez cell portal (because of braintrust and / or Akitaro Watanabe for instance), you may want to rez it indefinitively, so the runner has to jack out.

But sure usually rezzing a lone cell portal is pretty moot.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hwangman wrote:
But if my icebreaker has 1 strength and CP has 7 strength, what's the interaction? Am i able to do anything with CP in that case? Would i be forced to end the run immediately because i don't meet the strength requirement, or does my lack of required strength cause the subroutine to run, de-rezzing CP and sending me back to the beginning?


What you just say: you can't break Cell Portal, so both subroutine trigger, one of them derez Cell Portal and the other one send you back in front of the derez Cell Portal. The run continue, unless you decide to jack out, or you hit a "end the run" subroutine. Being unable to break subroutine does not end the run per se.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haiku wrote:
Also if it's free to you to rez cell portal (because of braintrust and / or Akitaro Watanabe for instance), you may want to rez it indefinitively, so the runner has to jack out.

But sure usually rezzing a lone cell portal is pretty moot.


With the FAQ note about "infinite combos" I don't think this would work in your favor.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Norman
msg tools
Dovian wrote:
Haiku wrote:
Also if it's free to you to rez cell portal (because of braintrust and / or Akitaro Watanabe for instance), you may want to rez it indefinitively, so the runner has to jack out.

But sure usually rezzing a lone cell portal is pretty moot.


With the FAQ note about "infinite combos" I don't think this would work in your favor.


Correct. The corp would have to state how many times he plans on allowing the loop to execute. Then the runner would get through.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Larner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mjnorman90 wrote:
Dovian wrote:
Haiku wrote:
Also if it's free to you to rez cell portal (because of braintrust and / or Akitaro Watanabe for instance), you may want to rez it indefinitively, so the runner has to jack out.

But sure usually rezzing a lone cell portal is pretty moot.


With the FAQ note about "infinite combos" I don't think this would work in your favor.


Correct. The corp would have to state how many times he plans on allowing the loop to execute. Then the runner would get through.


This is incorrect. The FAQ states that the runner must jack out unless there is some card effect which prevents that from occurring.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ:

The FAQ wrote:
Infinite Loops
If an infinite loop is created, the player responsible for the loop must choose a number. The loop instantaneously resolves that many times, and then ends. The Runner is always responsible for ending a loop that occurs during a run by jacking out, unless a card ability prevents that from occurring. If so, then it is the Corp’s responsibility to end the loop by letting the Runner through to the server.


Just to have the quote here.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected! Missed those last two sentences.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
So if the Cell Portal was the last piece of ice in a 3-ice setup and it sent me back to the first piece of ice, could I jack out at that point or not? The rules state, "The Runner cannot jack out while approaching
the first piece of ice during a run." Is that different if the first piece is part of a loop?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hwangman wrote:
So if the Cell Portal was the last piece of ice in a 3-ice setup and it sent me back to the first piece of ice, could I jack out at that point or not? The rules state, "The Runner cannot jack out while approaching
the first piece of ice during a run." Is that different if the first piece is part of a loop?


First piece of ice is not physically first, just the first one encountered. In this case, that would likely be the fourth piece of ice encountered this run.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hwangman wrote:
So if the Cell Portal was the last piece of ice in a 3-ice setup and it sent me back to the first piece of ice, could I jack out at that point or not? The rules state, "The Runner cannot jack out while approaching
the first piece of ice during a run." Is that different if the first piece is part of a loop?


The FAQ clarifies that it is the first approach that you can't jack out of. If you end up approaching the first piece of ice twice, you may jack out the 2nd time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
hwangman wrote:
So if the Cell Portal was the last piece of ice in a 3-ice setup and it sent me back to the first piece of ice, could I jack out at that point or not? The rules state, "The Runner cannot jack out while approaching
the first piece of ice during a run." Is that different if the first piece is part of a loop?


First piece of ice is not physically first, just the first one encountered. In this case, that would likely be the fourth piece of ice encountered this run.


It's the first piece of ice you approach, not encounter. So if the Corp doesn't rez the outermost ice, you may jack out at that point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.