Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43» Forums » Rules

Subject: U-Boat Type VIIA, B, C Comparison rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Fabbro
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I want to say I really have been enjoying this game so far. My copy has yet to arrive, so I've been playing with the VASSAL module. But I am curious that I may be missing something here regarding the type VII boats...

1) Why would someone ever choose to sail in a type VIIA, since it is inferior to the VIIB/C in most categories? (For what it is worth, I've chosen to start with a VIIA!)

2) The VIIB and VIIC seem to be identical cards (other than the artwork). Is this correct or am I missing something subtle?

3) Due to the way its card reads, a VIIA will only ever have a maximum refit time of 4 months, meaning that you will never be able to transfer your captain to a newer type under the refit rules (5 month refit required).

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacksmith61 wrote:
1) Why would someone ever choose to sail in a type VIIA, since it is inferior to the VIIB/C in most categories? (For what it is worth, I've chosen to start with a VIIA!)

Historically, the Germans had both available in Sep. 39 so we didn't want to ignore the Type VIIA type.

Blacksmith61 wrote:
2) The VIIB and VIIC seem to be identical cards (other than the artwork). Is this correct or am I missing something subtle?

No, that is correct. Only 24 of the Type VIIB were produced, but again, we wanted to include these VII types that were available during that timeframe of the war.

Blacksmith61 wrote:
3) Due to the way its card reads, a VIIA will only ever have a maximum refit time of 4 months, meaning that you will never be able to transfer your captain to a newer type under the refit rules (5 month refit required).

Yes, as you get promotions and rise in rank as Kommandant, you can request a U-Boat upgrade, actually. It wouldn't happen due to amount of damaged sustained during Refit.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fabbro
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John, for the fast response!

Like I stated, I'm currently running a campaign in a VIIA. I figure it will help me appreciate the improvements in the VIIB/C when I get to one!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fabbro
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...And for that matter, bring on the type II boats. I always have a soft spot for the underdogs
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacksmith61 wrote:
...And for that matter, bring on the type II boats. I always have a soft spot for the underdogs

They will be part of our Hunters Expansion release for sure.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya,

Actually there's a subtle difference between the Type VIIA and Type VIIB.

The VIIB has an extra flooding box, and extra hull box.
One extra box may not SEEM like a lot, but trust me, it can be the difference between life and death in a prolonged depth-charging.


As for why HAVE the Type VIIB available, of course, John is completely correct....for historical purposes. And the VIIC is not available yet.
But in game terms, the differences were not extreme enough to warrant an extra box, for example.

Take care,
Greg
Game Designer.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
consimworld wrote:
No, that is correct. Only 24 of the Type VIIB were produced, but again, we wanted to include these VII types that were available during that timeframe of the war.


This is why I always start in the VIIA. I like the feeling of progression, so getting to upgrade from the VIIA to a B or C gives another goal to obtain. Starting in a B doesn't really give you anywhere to go.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
consimworld wrote:
Blacksmith61 wrote:
...And for that matter, bring on the type II boats. I always have a soft spot for the underdogs

They will be part of our Hunters Expansion release for sure.


Expansion? I'm likely going to break my game buying moratorium for Hunters as it is!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:
Heya,

Actually there's a subtle difference...The VIIB has an extra flooding box, and extra hull box. One extra box may not SEEM like a lot, but trust me, it can be the difference between life and death in a prolonged depth-charging.


One Hull Box is HUGE! Twice now, in two different campaigns, I have brought home a ship with 7 hull damage in a ship with 8 hull damage boxes. It is BIG.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, there is no difference between VIIB and VIIC...but when your VIIB will be trapped in mediterranean (with little hope other than sinking with honor), switching to a new model will be priceless devil.

I'm waiting for Type II...and Type XXI of course
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.