Subject: Merlin suddenly a standard card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on the belief that the basic Merlin card is a 'Special' card, as per the original rules. But in the Appendix of the Merlin's Company rules they have him listed under "Standard White cards".

I assume that's a mistake and he's meant to still be a Special card. What do you think?

Thanks for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
rigol wrote:
I'm working on the belief that the basic Merlin card is a 'Special' card, as per the original rules. But in the Appendix of the Merlin's Company rules they have him listed under "Standard White cards".

I assume that's a mistake and he's meant to still be a Special card. What do you think?

Thanks for any help.

In both SOC and Merlin's Company: Merlin is a Special White card.

Also the Seven Witches are Special Black cards.

EDIT: Page 1 of the MC rules depicts Merlin as one of the 8 Special White cards as does the symbol in the upper right hand corner of the card.

Anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great, thanks. Thought as much. But yeah, on page 4 of MC it does call it a standard card. Just a blip I think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why they did that. I think they meant to imply that the cards listed on page 4 as standard were same as SOC. There is another error on the sheet like on page 1 says there 23 white cards and also 28 cards.

I also recommend the FAQs for both SOC and MC also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 1st play with this expansion it was really confusing as to whether the 7 Witches were "special" cards or not since they don't have the same insignia on the card designating them as such. The 1st page of the rules states they are special black cards but page 4 just lists them as Morgan's Seven Witches.
If they are indeed special they should have put that insignia from SOC on the card to avoid this confusion! Instead, they have the number of the Witch which could have been placed elsewhere. Since they didn't have the "Special" insignia we played them as standard black thinking there must have been different meaning for this special (should have used a different term) but it bugged me so I came here for an answer.
So, it takes 3 Merlins to get rid of them when they are pulled, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimzik wrote:
In the 1st play with this expansion it was really confusing as to whether the 7 Witches were "special" cards or not since they don't have the same insignia on the card designating them as such. The 1st page of the rules states they are special black cards but page 4 just lists them as Morgan's Seven Witches.
If they are indeed special they should have put that insignia from SOC on the card to avoid this confusion! Instead, they have the number of the Witch which could have been placed elsewhere.
So, it takes 3 Merlins to get rid of them, correct?

The insignia is there albeit faint. And yes, it takes 3 Merlin cards to get rid of them during the Progression of Evil phase that they were drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The insignia is there albeit faint.

Thanks for the answer but I'm looking at the card and the "Special" insignia is no where on it. Under the number there is a faint symbol but it's grayed-out and doesn't look the same. Shabby job by the company and designer which could easily have been fixed by putting the number to the left of the title and the Special Insignia to the right like all the original Black Specials. Stuff like this has led me not to purchase games by DOW anymore (Merlin was given to me from a friend).

The travel cards aren't explained to satisfaction either. 1)If a Knight fails his travel challenge does he make it to the new location(and suffer the penalty) or get stuck in the old? In a translated FAQ it still doesn't clearly state except if you fight/fail a siege engine then you stay where you are. 2) If you are Captured where do you come in when rescued?

1)I make players draw BEFORE they move so if they fail they stay where they are in all cases (Vision is the exception).
2)I had the rescued Knight return to his seat at the Round Table.

And then there's Gaheris. The Faq says to put Merlin discards into a separate pile so he can't card count. WHAT? That makes it EASIER as the Traitor is showing everyone immediately that he's discarding a Merlin Card. It makes more sense to shuffle the discard deck before he looks which is what we did.

I am soooooo glad Fantasy Flight took over BATTLELORE. BATTLELORE II fixes so many of the problems of BATTLELORE, MEMOIR and BATTLE CRY. It was a totally simple fix (one I came up with myself and always used) that was never corrected. DOW seems to get stuck on bad rules where FF gives support right on their site correcting problems immediately. The only reason I kept SHADOWS, PIRATES COVE and CLEOPATRA was that I painted those sets. CLEO was alright on it's own but PIRATES needed a Jimzik fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
You draw when you commit to moving. If you cannot meet the requirement of the travel card then you suffer the consequences and do not successfully complete your move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.