15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Yay! Migraines! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Does anyone else on here get absolutely killer migraines whenever there's a big weather change coming? It's warm and sunny here today, but starting tomorrow it's going to cool off and start snowing like crazy. So predictably I've spent the majority of today curled into the fetal position on my bed, avoiding bright lights, and generally trying not to move because that gets my head to throbbing like nothing else. Took some Excedrin and it finally kicked in, but I've still got a low-level headache that's promising to flare up and kick me back down later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife gets them. She is currently on daily medication.

While she was pregnant, she would get them occasionally.

A Nurse Manager told me that Vick's Vapor Rub on the temples helped...

My wife said she felt better after trying that.

Good luck!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Yes. I stopped getting them when I was 15, but they have come back over the last few years. Mine usually make me vomit. Screw migraines hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Mark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, this should help....

(Don't open this if you actually have a migraine. Or epilepsy)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never figured out a trigger for mine. they occur much less often now than when i was younger. Zomig is a godsend for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
cry I get 'em very occasionally--real bast#rds with the full on light sensitivity, nausea and intense pain. What really sucks is the pain's actually worse when I lie down, so it usually means an extended period sitting upright. I take three Advil gelcaps and a double espresso, sometimes followed by the hot rag on the forehead/upper face.
While I do get some twinges from my titanium ankle when the temperature changes drastically, I've never associated the migraines with the climate or other trigger. It's mostly stress, methinks. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Stress is my main trigger too, although interrupted sleep is a close second. My migraine is focussed on the left side of my body - left temporal pain, hot flushes on the left side of my face and neck, numbness that often affects my left foot and knee. Accompanied by light, noise and taste sensitivity, nausea, pain. Thankfully they are usually less than one per year, although I had several dozen in a six month period a while back.

I have seen neurologists and had tests btw - it is migraine and not some kind of stroke or seizure, notwithstanding the left-side symptoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
I occassionally get migraines.. they started when I was pregnant and seem to have stayed with me.

I found strangely enough that strong cheeses can be a trigger.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I have had a few migraines triggered by sudden, severe changes in weather before (probably pressure I'd guess). But generally the two biggest triggers for me are stress and fluorescent lights (usually in combination). Excedrin migraine coupled with hiding under the sheets in a darkened room tends to take it down to an annoying, throbbing temple pain for the rest of the day/night. I'll need to try the VapoRub thing next time (hopefully it'll be a long while).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes. I get them sometimes with extreme weather (not every time and it's a bit puzzling what type of weather system exactly triggers them) and then there are the ones I get every month which are hormone related. Big fun. They're getting worse as I get older. Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks. I hate migraines. I've never associated them with changes in the weather, but then again I never really discovered my trigger(s). I think for some reason that my triggers are scent-based. Chimney smoke usually at the very least gives me a bad headache, and I think (unfortunately) that the smell of whiskey is a possible migraine trigger for me. gulpcry

When I get them, the only thing that helps is real migraine medication, like Frova. The only thing that works for my headaches is Advil, and they do nothing for migraines. True medication is a godsend, so if they're really that bad, I'd advise you to start stocking that stuff up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Thanks for the sympathy, guys. I'm completely migraine free today, and I'm pretty sure you guys are part responsible for that.

I'll definitely try the Vicks Vaporub solution next time. I passed that on to my mom as well, since she suffers from exactly the same kinda migraines as me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White chocolate, white wine, too much time with flourescent office lighting, ashing lights sometimes....generally combined with tiredness or dehydration.

However I have discovered that by pushing my fingers onto points of my eye socket I can rush the eye auras through quicker and the headache isn't so bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
A Nurse Manager told me that Vick's Vapor Rub on the temples helped...

-DK

Even better than Vick's is Biofreeze. It uses some of the same stuff but it's made to absorb into your skin. Put that on your temples and it helps because it causes your blood vessels to dilate, which does help my migraines. I still need to lie down and nap in a dark space most times, but this helps the initial pain be knocked down.

Also, I can now see them coming. I get about :15-:20 warning when they are... first, my vision gets wavy on the periphery, then my entire vision blurs, then clears, resulting in a massive migraine UNLESS I take Motrin or some Ibuprofen in the early stages.

Most of the time that cuts it down to size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.