• [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
They weren't still playing with the cat. It was off in the corner doing its own thing. As the owner entered the room the cat looked at her and then the stranger swung the toy and the cat decided that it was more interested in the toy than the owner.

I don't see this as a revelation. Cats are much more independent creatures than dogs. Wild dogs tend to roam in packs while wild cats do not (with the exception of lions). Humans also tend to naturally congregate into groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Seriously? We're doing studies on this? Glad we don't have things like infectious disease, environmental depletion, natural disaster, Grognad's typing or Hivegod to worry about. Nope, none of those things are bad enough to warrant study, so we should study whether or not cats love us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Studying this does not prevent other things from being studied.

2) Sometimes trivial or weird looking things can produce surprising scientific breakthroughs.

Example:
Quote:
MacIver received a $1.25 million grant to use electric fish from the Amazon to study how animals take in sensory information to move quickly in any direction. The research could help in the development of underwater robots to find the source of toxic leaks. Further in the future, it could lead to new, far more agile prosthetics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacre Bleu
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also this knowledge may be used to understand how people become attached to others, which could have applications in psychology.

The same reasoning used to criticise this research could be applied to your job. Are you that useful to society?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it just confirms what we know and people have joked about for ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
solidhavok wrote:
Seriously? We're doing studies on this? Glad we don't have things like infectious disease, environmental depletion, natural disaster, Grognad's typing or Hivegod to worry about. Nope, none of those things are bad enough to warrant study, so we should study whether or not cats love us.

Honestly I think Grognad's typing is a more pressing matter for study than natural disasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solidhavok wrote:
Seriously? We're doing studies on this? Glad we don't have things like infectious disease, environmental depletion, natural disaster, Grognad's typing or Hivegod to worry about.

New Study Shows: Given the chance, HiveGod would kill you and stuff your body with live cats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he'd only kill you first if he liked you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

(please don't tell my cat that I posted this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's face it. Living with either a cat or a dog is like having small fury mental patients living in your house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A few years ago I attended a talk by local gentleman who worked on pet rescue in New Orleams following Katrina. He said it was there that he learned the difference between cats and dogs: if driven to extremes, either will "canniblize" their owner; dogs just have the decency to wait until you are dead, first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert on the subject, but you could argue that dogs and humans are social pack animals whereas cats are not. It's no surprise that dogs would exhibit an emotional (i.e., behavioral related to brain chemistry) response to the absence of a perceived pack member. There are all sorts of good evolution-type reasons for this.

What's more interesting to me is the fact that cats form friendly relationships at all, despite being solitary in the wild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am confident my cat will use dead mice, not birds (and i am not sure if she is capable of killing them.)

This seems like the perfect place to tell what happened this morning.

About 10 minutes after getting dressed, I was doing some dishes. I felt some strange movement in the groin area (not caused by myself) and thought maybe there was some thread in my pants pulling some other part that caused this. (because it wouldn't make sense for there to be anything moving around there otherwise would it whistle )

A minute later the movement went down, and even though there is nothing that could be moving around in my pants, i decided to drop my pants and check them out. I did not see anything strange with my pants, so put them on again.

Shortly after that, I felt some movement again, but decided to ignore it this time. Untill I definitely felt something drop inside my pants. I quickly dropped my pants again and this time A mouse jumped out of my pants surprisegulpyuk

I am absolutely convinced that the mouse was brought into the house by my cat last night and that she left it to rest in my pants when she got tired of playing with it.devil

I did not manage to catch the mouse after this, so I can only hope that when the cat cathches the mouse again, she will at least have the decency to kill it before dropping it in my pants again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Was this the story you told your wife when she caught you with your pants round your ankles and a mouse paused ready to go Richard Gere style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Gola wrote:
I'm no expert on the subject, but you could argue that dogs and humans are social pack animals whereas cats are not. It's no surprise that dogs would exhibit an emotional (i.e., behavioral related to brain chemistry) response to the absence of a perceived pack member. There are all sorts of good evolution-type reasons for this.

What's more interesting to me is the fact that cats form friendly relationships at all, despite being solitary in the wild.
I don't know. Feral cats seem to live in little cat clans. At least the ones living in storm drain near my parents house do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
Was this the story you told your wife when she caught you with your pants round your ankles and a mouse paused ready to go Richard Gere style?
I don't have a wife, but i know I'll remember the excuse for when I have a girlfriend again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
They weren't still playing with the cat. It was off in the corner doing its own thing. As the owner entered the room the cat looked at her and then the stranger swung the toy and the cat decided that it was more interested in the toy than the owner.

I don't see this as a revelation. Cats are much more independent creatures than dogs. Wild dogs tend to roam in packs while wild cats do not (with the exception of lions). Humans also tend to naturally congregate into groups.

Yes, but with the dog, the woman was sitting in the chair, with her hands in her lap. She made no attempt to play with the dog when the owner entered the room, as she did with cat. The study is flawed. Flawed!

(Paid for by The Feline Overlord Project)

In that one clip. There were 20 cats they studied. I agree it looks odd, but I don't believe they got their results from one video being made to illustrate a point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Chanfan wrote:
1) Studying this does not prevent other things from being studied.

2) Sometimes trivial or weird looking things can produce surprising scientific breakthroughs.

Example:
Quote:
MacIver received a $1.25 million grant to use electric fish from the Amazon to study how animals take in sensory information to move quickly in any direction. The research could help in the development of underwater robots to find the source of toxic leaks. Further in the future, it could lead to new, far more agile prosthetics.

Can I get a $1.25 Million grant to use myself and study how humans consume beer and burritos? It could help in the development of more efficient urinals and toilets. Further in the future, it could lead to advances in liposuction, heart surgery, and even the development of science!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to use this study as an excuse to hate cats, but let's face it: given the chance, I'd kill you and stuff your body with dead birds, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in this experiment, as soon as I realized that God had left me alone with the killbot things got... weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
I think he'd only kill you first if he liked you you were a hobo and he had his claw hammer handy.

There. Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.