Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've watched a LOT of "how to" videos and studied the game sequence and other resources extensively before I even tried my first game.

Here's my dilemma: it seems like if I get an active location card and a couple of more location cards in the engagement area early it seems pretty much like the game is over.

Is that just the "luck of the draw" to be expected when using the core set/early adventures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's why you send people to quest, to clear out the active locations. Balancing Questing versus Combat is one of the core game mechanics.

Don't start by playing the core Mono-Tactics deck or you will have that issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
The staging area can get quickly out of hand even locations began to pile up.
Even if you do manage to clear out a location per turn, in multiplayer you may draw multiple locations.

Throughout the Core Set and the first expansion cycle of the game (Mirkwood Cycle), 4-cost Spirit ally Northern Tracker (of which there are 2 copies in Core Set) became quickly ranked as one of the most powerful cards in game.

In same train of thought, 1-Cost Leadership ally Snowbourn Scout can be very handy at times (especially with Brown Land location in Journey down the Anduin quest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
let me guess, tactics hero deck?

care to share how that first game was setup, and what heroes/cards were used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Certainly the bad luck of the random card draw with either the encounter deck or your player deck that is inherent in any card game and be really frustrating. I actually have a higher lose ratio when I get too many enemy cards than a lot of locations. But it's by no means a sign of impending loss. Take it as a tougher challenge that you have to overcome.

There is a certain amount planning that needs to go into your deck construction to build a player deck that will help you best meet the challenges of the encounter and quest you are facing. If you know you are facing an encounter deck full of locations, then you'll definitely want to use the Spirit sphere in your deck that has a lot of abilities to help you gain additional progress on your active locations and quest. Such as the Lorien Guide places 1 progress token on the active location whenever you commit him to questing, and when the Northern Tracker commits to questing, each location in the Staging area gets a progress token. In 2-3 turns you can clear out most of the locations in the Staging area without them ever having become an active location.

Then there's how you manage your cards as well. If you have a lot of locations and a quest cards with high quest point requirements, then you'll want to dedicate more allies and heroes to questing while still leaving a character or two to stand ready if an enemy does appear. It's a fine line requiring you to decide how much you want to risk questing vs. available for combat. Then there are also cards that let you peak at the top card of the Encounter deck so you know exactly what you can commit vs. saving characters for combat.

The game is quite well balanced in that regard. Some scenarios can be excruciatingly hard, but everything I've seen so far in the game shows that no matter what the challenge you might run into, there are ways to overcome them--provided you can get the right cards in hand and in play that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:

Haha exactly the first thing I thought after seeing the thread.
To the OP: let us know what heroes you had, we can give you better advice then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dickie

Mississippi
msg tools
mbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:
xBino wrote:

Haha exactly the first thing I thought after seeing the thread.
To the OP: let us know what heroes you had, we can give you better advice then.

Location lock can occur even without the handicap of a mono-tactics deck, but it sure doesn't help any.

Anyway, to the OP, just as a general strategy, you can't afford to let the staging area pile up with enemies and locations. Especially in the first three quests, I always feel like I need a specific strategic reason not to travel to a location when the opportunity to travel is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Rochambeaux wrote:
So I've watched a LOT of "how to" videos and studied the game sequence and other resources extensively before I even tried my first game.

Here's my dilemma: it seems like if I get an active location card and a couple of more location cards in the engagement area early it seems pretty much like the game is over.

Is that just the "luck of the draw" to be expected when using the core set/early adventures?

I am a beginner at LotR and played the first scenario 9 games in the past three days. The first two games were played with the Spirit deck (including 1 Gandalf card) and they were both very easy wins, somewhat boring actually.

The next four games were with the tactics deck (including 1 Gandalf card) and lost all 4 games to the situation you described (one active location, two more locations in the staging area). I added two additional Gandalf cards to the Tactics deck and won two of the next three games, all fun games. His 4 Willpower comes in very handy to get past those multi location situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.