Subject: Some questions before getting this game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a few questions would like to get some answers before buying this:

1. What's the best number of players to play?
2. It looks like Eminent Domain. Can anyone clarify this?
3. Replayability?
4. Game duration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I like it with 2 or 3. I don't play it much with more.
2) EmDo was more like a Dominion style deckbuilder, so I've heard. RftG is more of a build-your-tableau (civilization? Empire?) that gives you consistent powers during play. Your hand is relatively random depending upon what you've drawn from a common deck shared amongst all players.
3) You'll get some mileage!
4) About 25-45 mins. Maybe shorter as you get more familiar.

Look for Keldon's Race for the Galaxy AI online and download it. It's an awesome digital version of the game you can play solo and get a feel for it. Maybe watch a tutorial video first. It can be confusing at first, but after 3 games or so it almost becomes second nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've play it with 2, 3 and 4 players and it was good in all those games. The 2-player advance game is great.

Eminent Domain is a deck builder style game and this is not. It is like San Juan.

I believe there is lots of replay as each game you can start with different starting hand therefor changing your strategies each game.

Each expansion added more cards as well as more things added to the game. Keep in mind that the game play can vary with more experienced players. I'm glad to own this game. Very fun to pl.ay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandru Stanuta
Romania
Berceni
ILFOV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) 99% of my games are played in 2 (advance version), so 2 players
2) I didn't play Eminent Domain.
3) I played 1000+ face-to-face games, so it has huge replayability (getting the expansions help!)
4) 20-25 min 2 player advance after you have so games under your belt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I like it with 2 & 3, I've not played enough games with 4 to know but don't see any reason it wouldn't be as good.
3. High. I've played it around 70 times since I got it 8 months ago, I'd have played more games if I'd had the time. I expect it'll be my most played game next year too.
4. 25-45 mins, but I'd allow longer for your first couple of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It plays well at different player counts. I prefer it with 2-3, but it still works well with 4-5. I much prefer playing against Keldon's AI rather than using the solo rules.

2. Eminent Domain has some similarities, but there is a great deal more variety and randomness in Race for the Galaxy, and Race is shorter. As others have noted, Eminent Domain has a deck management component, while Race does not.

3. I've probably played against Keldon's AI a thousand times, and I have over 100 plays of physical copies.

4. 2-30 minutes with experienced players. My fastest game was 2 minutes against Keldon's AI (admittedly I made bad decisions, but I wanted to see how fast I could play). Against live opponents with a physical copy of the game my fastest play was something like 5-7 minutes, but the group I used to play this with got it down to consistently under 20 minutes. The 3rd expansion adds a bit to the play time (hence the 30 minute upper limit), and I haven't played with Alien Artifacts, so I don't know how much that affects the play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It plays well throughout its player range, but you'll need expansions to go above 4.
2. Eminent Domain is a deckbuilder rather than a tableau-building game like this. RftG is more interesting because every card is unique or one of two in the deck; in EmDo most of the cards in your deck are the basic actions, and you only get technology (the interesting cards) later in the game.
3. The base game is good for dozens if not hundreds of games; each expansion makes it more replayable.
4. After you learn the game you can play it in 20 minutes, even with many players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Many of u talk about 2 players advanced version?
Does that included in the original box or it's only available in expansion sets?

Does the Keldon AI applicable with only the Core Set ? (Without Gathering Storm)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two-player advanced version is in the basic game. It's just a twist on the normal game that allows you to take two actions per turn instead of one.

I've never played online.

The first expansion adds a solitaire version among other elements. You play the solitaire version with the 2-player advanced rules. The second expansion adds a takeover element that provides more player interaction, however, takeovers of another player's worlds are rare. The third expansion adds a prestige factor that is useful in gaining points and other benefits. Some commentators on BGG prefer the base game or just some of the expansions. I always play with all three.

This is a fun game with great art. I play solitaire or with my daughter. I've never tried it with more than two, but I'd like to. I suggest getting the base game first, and if you like it adding the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:
Does that included in the original box or it's only available in expansion sets?

Does the Keldon AI applicable with only the Core Set ? (Without Gathering Storm)

The 2-player advanced version is in the Core Set. It basically is: You choose 2 phases for your turn instead of 1. And there's a few areds added for the phase deck, but they are clearly marked. And there's a few rules for picking some phases together. Go on and play it the regular way first until you get the hang of it.

As for solo stuff, you have to have Gathering Storm. That expansion comes with "board" and dice necessary for the solo game. The expansion does add goals and such, but they are not used for solo games anyway. So I imagine that the Keldon AI (which I have not played myself) includes the expansion cards.

Edit: ninja'd by Wittela

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
birdkingz wrote:
Does that included in the original box

Yes. The extra action cards used in the 2-player version for experienced players are supplied with the base game.

Quote:

Keldon's free version supports the base game and the first 3 expansions.

Some online sites support only the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:

3. Replayability?
4. Game duration?

1. I concur that it is best with 2 or 3 players, but definitely playable with 4. It starts to lose something when a 5th or 6th player is added, because you can begin to start depending on the likelihood of each phase getting called each turn.

2. I can't speak to this.

3. Extremely replayable with an expansion or two. I've played several hundred games (face-to-face and Keldon AI) with the Gathering Storm, Rebel v. Imperium, and a little Bring of War expansions. And it is not even close to getting old. It gets better with age!

4. First few games will be painfully slow as you learn the symbols/icons. But now it is one of the fastest games my group can get through, clocking in at around 30-45 minutes for one play. And that includes a player with AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:

3. Replayability?
4. Game duration?

1- IMO, it works with any number, including 5p and 6p once you delve into expansions. It's mostly simultaneous, so turns go quicker than in traditional turn structures

2- Both are sci fi, and both utilize "paying for worlds" vs. using some sort of military strength to gain worlds. However, ED is indeed a deck builder. As with typical DBG, you have a Supply to buy cards, whereas in RftG, you need to draw the correct ones. Also, military in ED is another way to gain the same worlds, but in RftG, it's more disjointed... you can't use military to conquer non-mili worlds, and usually can't pay for military worlds.

3- yes. However, you'll want to play 2 to 3 games in a row, or within a short time frame. One person says his group plays this once a year, which really isn't ideal. Otherwise, there is good replayability. The fans have managed to easily get over 80+ games out of this

4- 1 hour for a learning game. Longer-ish games at 45 min. Short games at 15 to 30 min. The 2p adv. games play in less rounds since you choose 2 action cards per round, but since I know what I'm doing now, it tends to take just as long since playing vs. only one other player doesn't have you working too many variables out, so it's sort of a puzzle that I need more time to go through the usual moves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:

3. Replayability?
4. Game duration?

1. Very 2
2. Yes (looks like), but it plays very differently.
3. Extremely high (thousands).
4. Not long. 15-20 mins 2 player. If you're new it will take longer, until you can remember what all the cards do. New players take especially long when calling explore +5 (they draw 7 cards, read them all and have to choose 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. EDo is not just a deckbuilder and has more in common with Race than Dominion in my opinion. You will get many more planets/developments in your tableau in Race and they also tend to be more interesting than in EDo. The art of leeching and picking what to lead still matters, but Race is simultaneous action as opposed to lead + follow.

Spamming a phase will not clog your deck, although it will still make you predictable. You have to pay for your cards and don't get to fill up to x hand size at the end of your turn, so spamming settle will typically make you poor.

Military is not consumed when you settle worlds, so all worlds below a certain cost are just free. Why does a military player not just spam military worlds for the remainder of the game? Sometimes they can, but they still have to draw those worlds and you have to play the cards you have, not the cards you want.

There is much more variety in a building strategy in Race relative to EDo.

EDo is good, Race is excellent.

3. Race is one of maybe two games that I rate 10/10 on replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some points that I didn't notice getting brought up:

* Keldon's software lets you play with all the expansions, but the AI is trained with certain settings and is not at its best with certain settings. However, unless you are a very experienced player, you probably won't notice.

* The version that these forums like calling "2 Player Advanced" ("2pa" for short) is called "2-Player Game for Experienced Players" in the rulebook (Tom and I use "2PE"). Yes, it does come with the base game.

* Eminent Domain is slower than RFTG mostly because of the lack of simultaneous play. I suspect a turn-based version of RFTG where everything is done step-by-step would probably be slower. Fortunately, that only happens with computer play and then there everything is fast anyway.

* Eminent Domain has a significantly lower variety of cards than RFTG does, and you encounter much fewer of them in a game than you will in RFTG. To some players, this means that Eminent Domain has less variety and grows stale faster. To some other players, this means that RFTG can be overwhelming and there's a (not-completely-true) perception that knowing the whole deck is key to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:

3. Replayability?
4. Game duration?

1. I only play it in two with my girlfriend and its great. I'd say more is better since you can do more actions, but two is definitely very good.
2. Dont know, never played that one
3. About 500+games played so far, still loving it.
4. Between 5 and 15 minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:
It looks like Eminent Domain. Can anyone clarify this?

EmDo is sort of like RftG (SciFi, settle/conquer worlds, produce/consume) crossed with Dominion (deck-building) and Glory to Rome (lead and follow).

To get all those mechanisms combined, a lot of the variety in those other games has been thinned out.

1. The differences between the worlds and developments is less in EmDo than in RftG - and most of your cards will be the role cards, of which there are only really 5.

2. The bulk of your deck in EmDo will be the 5 role cards (which are always the same - compared to Dominion's 10 Kingdom cards (which vary from turn to turn). Your deck in Dominion will also have Treasure cards and Victory cards.

3. In Glory to Rome, every card is role card - and it can function as a corresponding material. But while there are only six roles (and six materials), each card is also a building, and there are 40 different buildings.

As a game of Glory to Rome flows, the cards move and change function. In RftG cards can have numerous different functions but, once you pick one (e.g., moving a card from the draw pile to a world as a "good"), it generally keeps that function until discarded. In EmDo (and Dominion), each card generally has a single function all the time.

All this is not to knock Eminent Domain. It's an interesting combination of the different mechanics - it just doesn't have some of the variety that the single-mechanic games have.

And I do remember that your question about was RftG and not EmDo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't meant to sidetrack this thread, but I've been to a couple of venues (one of them a convention) where a couple of folks have thought "Race FOr The Galaxy is dead". I like EmDo, but if it ends up "replacing" RftG, then I weep for boardgaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:

3. Replayability?
4. Game duration?
1. Many would say two. For whatever reason the group I play games with don't seem to believe one can play any game at two or that two player games isn't worth playing. Or something such. Maybe they just don't want to play with me?

2. Too long ago since I watched Eminent Domain and Core Worlds. Haven't bought either thought I found Core Worlds of more interest. Both came later and RFTG isn't a deck builder, you don't build any deck at all, you draw from a common deck and do the best you can with the cards you draw. Almost all of the cards are different so there's plenty of variation in them.

3. Lots. Maybe the general concept doesn't feel so interesting when you think about it but for me it's always fun when it's actually played. I like trying to find stuff which match and works though I may not pick the best score giving path what do I know. Maybe the full arc #1 is the one with most content and stuff to learn as far as what works together and hence the stuff which let you play the longest before you're "finished" with it? I guess it's like a very good regular card game, you can play it again and again and again because it's short and you always got some decisions to do, it's always different and you can see where it takes you this time.

4. ~30 minutes on two players for us, ~20 if we rush it, likely ~10-15 for people who know what they are doing. Maybe 40-45 if you AP much and an hour or more if you're new to the game. Likely a little longer time if you play with more than two players because with two players you know what 2 of the at 2-4 phases will be and as such can plan ahead a little, at say four players you only know 1 of 1-4 phases and as such you may want to change your strategy depending on what others did (and say if that lead to an explore you didn't expected then maybe you want to rethink what to do since you got new cards.)

I haven't played with the orb. With takeovers from expansion #2 the data-keeping likely took a little longer time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.