Subject: Shorter Version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bret Hawkeye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

my gaming group meets every week with timeslot between 8pm and 11pm which we find to short for a full Eclipse Game.

Also my group is kind of slowish (at least few players)..

I remember at "Master of Orion" PC game (which is pretty much THE inspiration for that game) there was an option to start in an advanced age - some star systems were colonized.. some researches are already available etc. - may be some of you remember that game.

I wonder if sth like that can be done for Eclipse - to speed things up and make it possible to start in Round 3 or 4 .. since its very unsatisfying if you have to quit early and your long term strategie wasnt able to get started yet.

I thought sth. along these lines:
- already at least one extra colonized sektor for every civ
- start with one star base each (to limit early military pvp actions)
- some low level techs available for each player
- etc.

My Question: Does something like that exist? Else I would give it some more thought.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Also in the variants forum, findable thru the use of the search function (it's not amazing but sometimes yields useful results), this thread might be of interest to you: Has anyone designed a "short game" scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
I play MoO2 as well. Personally I always go for the early, prewarp start.

But yes, this is a good idea in principle. However, I'm definitely of the opinion that the game should still effectively be 9 rounds. What that would mean is, you can safely skip early rounds only if you could realistically model what their outcomes could be. The primary problem I see with this is that the balance between turtle & aggressor races could become skewed.

I think a safe idea would to be restrict such a game to all-Terran. But then you have the problem of race choice not existing to balance out start order, which could be even worse if you decide to give people extra resources at the start (particularly science.) The first player could then grab an even more expensive & key tech than normal, for instance the only one of a single advanced colonization, which would further be worsened by the fact that they've been able to explore and see which advanced colonizations are desirable.

Anyway, could try some or all of the following:

- All Terran
- Reduced # of rounds (7?)
- Reduced # of ring 3 hexes
- Eliminate 1 cube from all tracks to boost production
- Increased # of start and per-turn techs (+50%?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.