Firefly: The Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Committing Crew Members to a Job rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Luri
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am brand new to the game so I have a few questions all related to the same thing.

If I commit crew members(and gear respectively) to a job, when misbehaving are they the only ones that can add their icons to the test?

Since they are committed, when moving toward the drop off point, if I have a nav card that needs a test, can I used committed members(and gear) to pass a test on the gear card?

If there is no need on the job for icons or abilities do I need to commit any of my crew members?

Any help is appreciated, this was the only major snag we had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are worded awkwardly, but when you commit members to a job, they are only committed when you are following the instructions to begin the job (and making the associated rolls). They are not committed to that job while you are en route to the drop-off, or when you are completing the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When committing crew to a job they are only committed to that specific task. Basically the point is that if you commit crew to a misbehaving check and something goes wrong those are the only crew members that can be affected. Likewise they are the only crew that can participate. They aren't locked into that job until the whole thing is done.

For jobs that don't need any crew - pick up cargo - for example you don't need to commit crew members.

For nav cards, since your crew aren't actually committed during that part of the game yes you can use any crew/gear you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Luri
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks guys pretty sure that helps with all my questions, let me check to get this straight.

I commit my crew and gear. If their is a check on the job, only they are allowed to add skills to my roll, then once I do the misbehaving tests they are also only allowed to add skills to the test on the misbehaving cards, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Luri
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
also one more that didn't come up but probably will soon, If I have two jobs I am working on and they are to different places and I have members committed to one can I commit them to the other too before I finish the first one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argopellter wrote:
also one more that didn't come up but probably will soon, If I have two jobs I am working on and they are to different places and I have members committed to one can I commit them to the other too before I finish the first one?

Yes. And yes to the previous question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crew are committed to a job for a Work action. Once that's complete they're back on the ship (or dead). If you Fly as your next action, or do another Work on your next turn, they're all available again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Argopellter wrote:

The short answer is "yes."

The longer answer is "the question is not valid because you can't have crew assigned to one job while working another."

Committing crew and assigning gear is part of the Work Action. These choices are only binding until the Work Action has been resolved.

A single job may require multiple Work Actions to be performed, usually in different places (ie: pick up here, drop off there), but you commit crew anew for each Work Action you take as part of the job.

If your first Work Action fails (attempt botched), you can assign different crew/gear when you try again with a second Work Action to complete the same phase of the job.

After the Work Action is over, everyone is back on the ship and waiting for your next action and/or turn. Crew will never be assigned to a job when you are taking a Fly, Buy, or Deal Action, because the assignment only lasts for the duration of the Work Action you were taking.

I generally commit everyone to every Work Action I take, unless there's some extenuating circumstances that force me to leave someone behind.

PS: There's a fairly lengthy section in the official FAQ from GF9 dedicated to explaining how crew assignment on jobs is done. This has been a point of confusion for many new players. I would encourage you to read the FAQ if you still have questions about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some of this was odd for me to at the start just because often you don't really need a crew assigned.

But now I think it through that everytime you do any step of a job, you are 'leaving the ship'. If you are simply picking up two cargo, you do in theory have crew going out to talk to someone, maybe loading the cargo, etc.

So I may declare "alright, everyone out of the ship and loads those crates!".

And then they are back on the ship and not working the job any longer.

I was really stumped in a related subject and will look for verification, but if no one is assigned gear when not doing a job, what happens when you have a Nav card that calls for a skill test? Do you get to use gear? Thematically it is the same as doing a job in the sense that something is happening to cause you to do the skill test. and the one part of the rules says you use gear to add to skill tests. But unassigned gear doesn't help you... correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you are on the ship you can assign (and re-assign) equipment freely.

Let's say your crew is just Mal and Jayne. You have two Hacking Rigs, a Pistol, and Vera.

1) You draw a Nav Card that leads to a Breakdown. They each grab a Hacking Rig and get to work.

2) Next, you run into Reavers. They toss the Hacking Rigs to the side Mal grabs draws his Pistol and Jayne pulls out Vera. Alas, it's not enough to save poor Jayne.

3) Poor, unlucky Mal, now on his own, is ambushed by scrappers. Realizing Vera is a better weapon, he picks it up in favor of his pistol.

What an exciting trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B P
msg tools
Re: Committing Crew Members to a Job
gwek wrote:
When you are on the ship you can assign (and re-assign) equipment freely.

Let's say your crew is just Mal and Jayne. You have two Hacking Rigs, a Pistol, and Vera.

1) You draw a Nav Card that leads to a Breakdown. They each grab a Hacking Rig and get to work.

2) Next, you run into Reavers. They toss the Hacking Rigs to the side Mal grabs draws his Pistol and Jayne pulls out Vera. Alas, it's not enough to save poor Jayne.

3) Poor, unlucky Mal, now on his own, is ambushed by scrappers. Realizing Vera is a better weapon, he picks it up in favor of his pistol.

What an exciting trip!

Nearly this exact situation happened to me in my first game last night, except I didn't have the rigs or Vera. Ship broke down and floated for a turn, then had all my crew except the captain raped to death by Reavers the next turn, then got ambushed by scrappers and my captain got shot and disgruntled. I'd be disgruntled too if I was having the worst possible week in the Verse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

What an exciting trip!

NOT FOR JAYNE! :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
System Idle
msg tools
mbmbmb
As a beginner to the game we struggled with this concept as well. So I have a question about how people indicate crew as being allocated to a job. Do you move the crew and gear cards over to below the job card? Or do you just state it and do it from memory? Is there any reason not to just dedicate your whole crew to a job?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
SystemIdleProcess wrote:
As a beginner to the game we struggled with this concept as well. So I have a question about how people indicate crew as being allocated to a job. Do you move the crew and gear cards over to below the job card? Or do you just state it and do it from memory? Is there any reason not to just dedicate your whole crew to a job?

Because of space limitations, whenever I work a job I actually pick up my stack of crew cards. I then assign equipment to each one by putting that card behind the crew member carrying it. If they're sent back to the ship, I'll take them out of my hand(with their equipment) and put them back onto the ship display.

As for your last question, I've always sent my entire crew on every job except for Shepherd Book on Immoral jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddy B
msg tools
Quote:

When it comes to assigning Crew Members to a job, the general rule of thumb that I have is this:

1) Unless otherwise stated or declared, all crew are considered "on the job".

2) Off the job characters are denoted by flipping their cards upside down.

I hope this helps!

- Paddy Bardic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
System Idle
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you. The rules made me thing that I shouldn't be sending everyone even though that is how we have been playing it. Turning crew that isn't working the job is great idea also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SystemIdleProcess wrote:
Is there any reason not to just dedicate your whole crew to a job?

The FAQ says:

Quote:
Question: Pg. 13 of the rulebook says "Any Gear or Crew onboard the Ship may not be used in any way while Working the Job". Why would any Crew or Gear be Onboard the Ship?
Answer: There are occasions when some members of your Crew may not be available to Work a Job. Crew that are not able to contribute to the Job are considered to be "onboard the Ship". For example, Shepard Book may not Work Immoral Jobs. Additionally, if one of your Crew is Killed while Misbehaving and then saved by a Medic Test, they return to the ship: their skills and gear are unavailable for the remaining Misbehaving Cards.
Gear is considered to be Onboard the Ship if it is not being carried by a Crew member. Each Crew can only carry a single piece of Gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.