Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudy Van den Broecke
Belgium
Heusden
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Hostage Negotiator
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the lucky ones to get a preview copy. I got it Tuesday and was able to play it yesterday. Here are my first impressions

Delivery time:
10 days from Indoneasia to Belgium. AoD was 11 days.

Packaging:
The box was protected with cardboard and arrived safely in Belgium (The Agents shake)

Material:
The upgradebox:
The box has a special size because of the placemats. However it is very functional and people who also bought AoD can replace the foam with a copy of that game. The shape of the box gives the artwork the possibility to shine. Even my wife agreed that the artwork was nice (coming from a “no-zombies” gamer that means a lot).

The normal gamebox:
It’s a beauty. No more to say.

The placemats:
The placemats are thinner then I expected (but good quality) and because of that they don’t curl during a play. The overviewcards work very well and you will use them for the couple of games. If you don’t want to use them anymore, you can always flip them and enjoy the drawing on the backside. The playmat is nice to have but can get a bit small on some turns. On one turn I had 7 zombies on my village area wich naturally didn’t fit the playmat. On the other hand, like you would expect, I didn’t survive the next turn zombie.

Jack made the colors on the placemats less bright and I understand why. Now the placemat is there as support and it does not get in the way.

The cards:
The cards are nice. The new lay-out works very well. Not to much information but just enough to play.

And if you have questions the overview cards give you extra information on the turnsequence and the Zombieactions.

The artwork on the cards is cool but is not overwhelming, Wijanata did a very good job there.

The actions {Attack + …} / … work well it just takes some time getting into it. The biggest reason for this is that there are so many different actions in this game so that it can be overwhelming the first game.

The cards do feel thinner then I expected and didn’t shuffle that well. But the cards are new and a bit sticky. I assume that they will deal easier in the future.

Rulebook:
The rulebook has the size of a card and fit the basegame. It’s in black & white with a color cover. It’s nice to have but since I have the space I’ll print the translation and add it to the upgrade pack.

The bag:
Jack added a bag for the tokens as a bonus. It has a good size and does what it was made for: protect your tokens. A nice little extra that was heavier then I expected. Mine was brown by the way.

The tokens:
The tokens just draw your attention, no way around that when they are pink (and blue). For some reason you think that they are cheap but they are not (candy ? ). You get them in different values to keep track of the damage on the zombies. And trust me when I say that you do need them if you have 12 zombies attacking your village. You can’t remember.

The rules :
I played the solo-game which was a good game. The rules are clear but I had some questions. No hard stuff just simple questions on which Jack gave me the answers. Every assumption I made was correct so no problems but I will add them to the translation anyway. (I’ll add them here as well later).

Gameplay:
Keep an eye on the turnsequencecard. It really helps and does a great job. The sologame played well without flaws (except for me laugh)

Final conclusion:
I invested in this game because I think itwill be a game that I will be able to play with my son when he gets bigger and maybe even with my « no-zombies » gaming wife. I also hoped that this would be a game that I would like to play solo (which I normally don’t do).

After my first play, I can safely say. This is a keeper. thumbsup

Tips:
*Shuffle the decks very well because the cards are sorted now.
*Have a look at all the cards, so you understand the actions.
*Don’t forget that zombies with the speed symbol get an action twice.
*Like in most of these games. You’re always short on cards. You can have very good expensive defenders but keep in mind that they probalby will die the next turn (1 hit from a zombie kills them except Wall) but having to many flag bearers is no good either because you can’t attack the zombies.

And whatever you do : DON’T stop your turn before you reach the sunfase. You will forget what you had already done, or which zombie has attacked and wich hasn’t, … cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vdbmalmsteen wrote:
And whatever you do : DON’T stop your turn before you reach the sunfase. You will forget what you had already done, or which zombie has attacked and wich hasn’t, … cry
Yes, if you want to left the game for a while (to drink, etc) it's better to stop the game after the Sun Phase. So when you start the game again, always start from Phase one (Goblin Arrival).

Thanks for the review and glad you enjoy the game.
Cheers!

JackD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be happy when I receive my copy (and the AoD). The first Kickstarter I backed and it was an interesting journey.

And this review shows Jack did a great job.Congrats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have just completed 3 Training Mode games, winning all three. But they all took careful planning and play; was not a cakewalk. Very nice balance, & I can see the game getting progressively tougher once the next Modes are explored.

Agree with your review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls