7 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: Speeding up games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've asked on the variants forum, but in case no-ones looking, I'll raise this here too. Would a campaign be unbalanced to unplayability if we played tgat capturing one enemy HQ caused an immediate win, and for all 16 games, and how could you sort of tweak it so every gane didnt just end with player 2 winning?

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
How long are your games lasting? And how long do you want them to be?

I have rarely had a game last more than an hour. If you only need to take out one HQ, you are going to have a lot of one turn games, with player 1 winning, depending on the current rules set and placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm meeting some friends day after tomorrow and we've onky got 5 hours. I'm rrying to find a wY to get an rntire campaign done in one session.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rees
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That defeats the purpose of the game. You are really going to change the rules, just so that you can be done faster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
I'm meeting some friends day after tomorrow and we've onky got 5 hours. I'm rrying to find a wY to get an rntire campaign done in one session.

Eco

Well why bother playing the game at all?

A whole 15 game campaign in five hours? That works out to 3 games an hour, one game every twenty minutes. Assuming you take breaks, you're basically rushing through a game every 18 or 19 minutes, which is incredibly uninteresting and removing nearly all the strategy. Also, it's turning the game into a chore, not an experience.

Risk Legacy doesn't take a long time to play, but if you're going to jam it into such a small, rushed session, you're cheating yourself and your players of much of the fun.

In five hours, you can easily play three to five games, make important changes to the map, and have a good time. If you're goal is just to plaster as many stickers and rules changes as you can in five hours, then just open the packets and go crazy. Not great fun, but if that's what you want.

The journey is the goal. Not the destination.

Sorry to get a little zen there, but I would discourage you, very much so, from attempting this. But it's your game so knock yourself out.

I haven't even played all fifteen of my games yet, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2 full campaigns the 'normal' way, and I thoroughly enjoyed them too. On reflection, Speed Risk Legacy doesn't actually sound awesome. I think it'd be fun, but maybe since these guys haven't plYed it at all yet, maybe we'll just play normally and then continue next year!

Evo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I posted a Quick Play campaign variant in your Variant thread, in the event you're still up for it. It basically has you playing five (probably slightly longer) games of Risk Legacy, with more awards awarded after each one and points for first, second, and third place.

If you use it, great! Let us know how it turns out.

If you don't, I may have to playtest it myself!

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.