Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ross Levine
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the dunwich expansion board required to play this game? Our gaming table just doesn't have room for another board but I would like to use the additional cards. Does that work or do the cards make too many references to Dunwich?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
There are a few components that you can use with the base game, but for the general expansion, its mechanisms and its feel, the board is essential.
Sorry...

Edit:
You can use the Other World Encounter cards, if you create your own two separate Other Worlds. And then, yoh can use the Other World tokens, aswell.
You can use most of the Arkham Encounter cards.
You will not be able to use most of the Mythos cards without major changes.
You will not be able to use the Dunwich Encounter Cards.
You will not be able to use the Dunwich Horror mechanism, nor the four special cards whose name I have forgotten.
You will be able to use the Injury and Madness cards, and some other special cards.
You can use all monsters, regardless
You can use all equipment cards, spells and skills, as well as allies.
Roughly 30-40% material can be used with the base game without the board, I'd say. 10-20% more, if you put some work into it. Another 20% more, if you really put major work into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
nor the four special cards whose name I have forgotten.
You will be able to use the Injury and Madness cards, and some other special cards.

The four cards are the Condition cards and you can definitely use them. They only enter play based on if an encounter flips them to "face-up." If I remember correctly, three out of four of them can be flipped from Arkham encounters and the last from a Dunwich encounter.

Quote:
You can use all equipment cards, spells and skills, as well as allies.

I think you meant "Investigators" and not "Allies." The new allies are all found in Dunwich locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your correction.

However, you can still use the allies, even if you do not "find" them through Arkham locations (a rare situation, anyways). Ma's Boarding House comes to mind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's no fun to have allies in play that are impossible to obtain except by Ma's. If they're in the deck, they just displace other allies that can be obtained normally and they reduce the number of encounters where you can gain an ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True.
Which is why I always use all allies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, but you have to make sure to clarify that. What might work fine under your house-rules might not work fine to someone who doesn't use that same house-rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are right again.

Thing is, I never had any problems with the Dunwich Horror allies. If you mix them up, and draw 11, you should be fine either way - even if not all might make it into game via Encounter cards (only a few will at any given time, anyways). If you ONLY use the Dunwich Horror ones, you are completely in the right, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.