badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several of the expansions for this great game:

Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals
Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders
Carcassonne: Expansion 6 – Count, King & Robber
The Abbey one, and so on...

I know there is an infinite amount of variety with the use of expansions, but during last night's game I was thinking about using the expansions in a new way.

Has anyone ever switched out expansion tiles with the base tiles so as to gain the flavor of the expansion without adding to the base tile count? This would keep the game brief but offer the value of the expansion, yes?

Any ideas on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible of course, but I fear you won't be able to use the potential of the expansions hat way. Another problem is reducing the number of meeples. 7 plus builder, megameeple and the pig (an the mayor) is too much for a challenging and exciting game with 60 tiles. It would become too easy IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Man
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only downside - for some people - is that no one would know for sure which tiles are present. Those who count and calculate odds will be unhappy. However, I think it could be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Reynolds
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:

This would keep the game brief but offer the value of the expansion, yes?

Personally, I think the game would be way too brief. I think a better method would be playing the standard game with one expansion at a time until the nuances are better understood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
Something some folks will do is to mix all the tiles together, but choose to play only a predetermined amount of them. For example a 100 tile game, the first 100 drawn from the random mix are all that are played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanldoughty wrote:
Something some folks will do is to mix all the tiles together, but choose to play only a predetermined amount of them. For example a 100 tile game, the first 100 drawn from the random mix are all that are played.

Similarly, you could also play to a time limit. Wrap the game and score it after 60 minutes or whatever.

It seems like it might be easier to do that than count tiles. I haven't tried it though, or not yet anyway—with seven expansions mixed together, no one's really keen on playing Carc anymore cos of the length! But that's the idea I've had to get it back on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Or some people play till they draw a "dummy" tile which is placed approximately two thirds of the way through the deck.

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:

I know there is an infinite amount of variety with the use of expansions, but during last night's game I was thinking about using the expansions in a new way.

Has anyone ever switched out expansion tiles with the base tiles so as to gain the flavor of the expansion without adding to the base tile count? This would keep the game brief but offer the value of the expansion, yes?

Any ideas on this?

Yes I do this. I got my base set then swapped tiles in from the I&C and T&B expansions, to retain the tile number and balance from the base set. Actually I think I added an extra tile to make 73.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pricero1 wrote:
The only downside - for some people - is that no one would know for sure which tiles are present. Those who count and calculate odds will be unhappy. However, I think it could be fun.

Well we are both big Scrabblers and calculators of odds during a game. We like the variety of the expansions, but want to nail it down, nail down a standard set we play with. We like the brevity of the base game, though.

I might try it tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
August222 wrote:

Any ideas on this?

Yes I do this. I got my base set then swapped tiles in from the I&C and T&B expansions, to retain the tile number and balance from the base set. Actually I think I added an extra tile to make 73.

And it works well?

This is great to hear. I'm actually thinking of trying it with a few of "Die Belagerer" tiles from the Müller edition, the all-field pig farm from the Games Quarterly expansion, and perhaps a few others.

What did you swap out for the cathederal tiles? Not sure what I am going to do there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it works great. I do have some times from the GQ expansion too. I did put in the cathedrals yes. I tried to retain the mix of road and city and field tiles in the base game. I didn't put in ALL the special tiles from the expansions, so I had to decide how many of each trade good to put in to retain the balance.

The extra tile was so everyone would get the same number of turns (I don't usually use the builder). I think the extra tile was the second cathedral actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Some expansions work better than others for this. For example, Princess and Dragon tiles are all just base game tiles with extra icons, but no new shapes. Taking that approach and only swapping in tiles that are geographically equivalent is a safe place to start.
Specific to Princess and dragon, you might consider using only some of the special icon tiles, so it doesn't shift the balance to having too many special actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
Some expansions work better than others for this. For example, Princess and Dragon tiles are all just base game tiles with extra icons, but no new shapes. Taking that approach and only swapping in tiles that are geographically equivalent is a safe place to start.
Specific to Princess and dragon, you might consider using only some of the special icon tiles, so it doesn't shift the balance to having too many special actions.

I've avoided P&D so far. But I agree I'll be swapping out geographically equivalent tiles. I'm not sure what I'll do regarding the two cathederal tiles, though. Maybe I'll just switch out the all-city tile with the cathederal and leave it at that. One cathederal.

The problem with this, it just occurs to me, is that such a swapped-out set of tiles will not really translate on BGG. How can I compare a game of I&C + base game with the swapped-out version?

Hmmm. Now I'm not too keen on the idea...

But thanks for the quick, insightful responses everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:
It's possible of course, but I fear you won't be able to use the potential of the expansions hat way. Another problem is reducing the number of meeples. 7 plus builder, megameeple and the pig (an the mayor) is too much for a challenging and exciting game with 60 tiles. It would become too easy IMO.

The builder and the pig don't count as meeples, because you can only use them on a feature that you have already claimed. Also, the Mayor is situational.

That said it is still a valid point that more expansions can add more meeples, but it is very easy to exclude them.

As for the OP's question: You can certainly play with only one or two expansions at a time, but if you are looking for a faster game then I would suggest keeping the builder in use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:

The builder and the pig don't count as meeples, because you can only use them on a feature that you have already claimed. Also, the Mayor is situational.

That said it is still a valid point that more expansions can add more meeples, but it is very easy to exclude them.

As for the OP's question: You can certainly play with only one or two expansions at a time, but if you are looking for a faster game then I would suggest keeping the builder in use.

You're right about pigs & co (but will they get their chance to shine with 50-60 tiles?). The real question is - how many meeples you should exclude for a challenging and smooth play with a smaller number of tiles?. On the other hand, if you add enough expansions, you get over 100 tiles, so most of the expansions will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a group that plays in the lunch hour at work, with the River, T&B, and I&C. Depending on what we have time for, we will sometimes remove some tiles (could be as many as thirty) before playing. And if we discover that they're running out and we still have some time left, we've been known to add tiles back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amund Christensen
Canada
Brockville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whangdoodle wrote:
I have a group that plays in the lunch hour at work, with the River, T&B, and I&C. Depending on what we have time for, we will sometimes remove some tiles (could be as many as thirty) before playing. And if we discover that they're running out and we still have some time left, we've been known to add tiles back in.

This seems like a really good idea if you have limited time and adds a bit of intrigue if no one knows which tiles are out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atomikhammer wrote:
Whangdoodle wrote:

This seems like a really good idea if you have limited time and adds a bit of intrigue if no one knows which tiles are out.

Exactly!

(Edit: deleted emoticon which didn't seem to be functioning correctly.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about it but not done it at the start of a game. I've wondered what effect it'd have had if the designers knew they were going to make some expansions and were able to include a few features from expansions in the base set (a couple of inns, some trade goods etc) like they did with River 2.

I've been forced to do it half way through a game once with Princess and Dragon as it was getting late. I've also done the opposite - adding more tiles but not adding the rules. 72 tiles doesn't feel enough for a 4 player game with a full compliment of meeples so I've chucked in all the Princess and Dragon tiles (with the exception of the one that only has a volcano) and told everyone to ignore the extra symbols.

Sivilized wrote:

I'm not sure that's true even if you only consider what is on each side of the tile (rather than where they go. I don't think there's a equivalent of the road going under the city tile (second rwo up on the left), or the T-junction next to a city (bottom right):

A reasonable number are equivalent, more if you only consider the edges.

Sivilized wrote:

That is a good plan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew that if I said "all" I would end up being proved wrong. Of course if I had said "almost" I would have discovered it actually was all of them.

Without checking the base game (because why start now) It looks like R2C1, R2C3, R4C3, and R5C1 have internal geography that doesn't appear in the base game. Maybe R4C5, too. R3C4 is equivalent to a terminating cloister.

I think one of the challenges is how to figure out what subset of tiles to use. In my scheme, you would have to pair up base and expansion tile shapes, then randomly select one of each pair. If you have time to do all that, you're better off just adding the tiles in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend has the Carcassonne Big Box 3, and sometimes we play with JUST the expansion tiles - no base tiles at all (except the starting tile). We use some of the extra meeple pieces (builder, pig, Mayor, sometimes Barn, but never Princess & Dragon). It's a lot of fun, as it means we can't so easily predict what tiles are going to come up (as knowledge of the tile distribution is turned on its head!), so we have to focus more on what we can do with the tiles/meeple at each moment in time rather than future planning based on which tiles may/may not still be available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.