Jacob Chang
United States
Burbank
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
Understanding that these are two completely different games, on a given average night, which would you rather play, Seasons or Puzzle Strike, and why?

Thanks for any and all feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
A not helpful answer:

Puzzle Strike!

I like them both about the same, but I own Seasons, so given a choice between the two, I'll take the one I can't play whenever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
msg tools
mbmb
I own both and have played them both several times. Given the choice in a 2 player situation Seasons. In a group Puzzle Strike. Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike looked very appealing but but fell very flat for us when we played it, so I'd go for Seasons myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both pretty fun, but Seqsons requires more long term planning and I think is more complex. PS is pretty much a standard deck builder except you try to kill each other instead of buy worthless point cards. My recommendation for a good deck builder is Eminent Domain because in lots of ways it feels much more real and integrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both a little more fiddly than I want them to be. I'd probably opt for Seasons (I own it and not Puzzle Strike and am happy with that, though in practice I rarely get to play either one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
You want subjective opinions? Then it's Puzzle Strike.

You want to know why? Mainly my own preference for victory conditions which are not just getting the largest pile of points crystals. Also, I think that the every-turn buy of a deckbuilder feels more smoothly integrated into the game itself whereas the deck-construction Prelude of Seasons feels more like an extended setup phase before you get to play the real game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played 20-something games of Puzzle Strike and 2 of Seasons (on boardgamearena).

I really like the deckbuilding mechanic of Dominion and this game has all the excitement of it with none of the lame clogging VP cards (except for the Wounds, but those are awesome). It's a strategic battle and every game plays differently, even with the same 10 chips used every game. Not just from what chips come out of your bag each turn, but also because your opponents actions heavily affect your gamestate. Puzzle Strike is exciting, tense, and fun with a lot of battling back and forth, like a tug of war.

Seasons is fun and good but in the two times I played it, I didn't feel it was AWESOME. A bit more forward planning, a bit more predictability but at the cost of less excitement. It's a nice game with lots of replayability but I didn't feel it offered anything new. It's a nice euro where the opponents shake hands before the game starts and wish each other a jolly good run.

YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Chang
United States
Burbank
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
Thank you, BGG'ers for your honest and detailed responses. You guys are awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pick seasons but purely for the reason that I don't get it to the table enough. I like both games quite a bit but for different reasons. I couldn't cull either from my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.