Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a favorite counter? A counter you just hate? A striking or unusual counter?

If so, post a picture of it and explain why you like it, or think it's significant.

GGs will be awarded!

I have 40 GG to get rid of before the end of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb

Taken from the BGG servers but wonky, cause, you know

1989 has a bunch of awesome, weird counters, but the wall has to be my favourite. Not just because it calls back to its daddy TS, but because the pain of a nation divided right in the middle of its capitol, the massive monster looming in the hearts of every German, or, indeed, German-speaker until 1989, is summed up in this little cheery counter. It's weird, but the fact that it can be approached in that way, now, is a happy reminder.

Edit: It's cropped from a picture by
JE SUIS VENU. J'AI VU. JE SUIS PARTI.
msg tools
badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
See if you can guess which of these is my favourite:

That was my reward for pre-ordering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check my two posts from a 2010 forum about the same topic:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/534367/favorite-wargame-coun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an affinity for the 7/3/JR16 Finnish counter from Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939. Those guys single-handedly triggered the Soviet Artillery Park event at a crucial time which swung the game in my favor and led to a win for the Finns.

Also, I gotta love the 'A' US single man counter from Ambush!. Sgt. Clyde Graves is a badass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm if I did, it might be from Squad Leader...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated my avatar to display one of my current favorite counters, of the Polish 4th Uhlan Regiment from La Bataille de Leipzig 1813. I've always been interested in Napoleonic cavalry and the Polish lancers in particular. This unit is HUGE (15 strength points, or 4 squadrons, one of the biggest cav units in the game) and just makes me wonder how and why so many Poles were still fighting with Napoleon in 1813. One of the reasons I like historical games is they raise these kinds of questions that go beyond the tactics and strategy and into the historical context of the events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The 9 Factor British fleet from 3R, my all time favorite counter. Had more fun trying to defend the Med on a shoestring budget with those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gade
United States
Seattle
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This bad boy, right here:

The Soviet brass band counter (mechanized) from AP's "Blood on the Snow."

Nothing says hubris like bringing a brass band into the subarctic wilds during winter.

Image courtesy of kiraly, right here on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sullivan
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely the Debauchery and Revelry counter from Blackbeard. Gotta love a little cardboard square that sums up the fun parts of pirating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Similary there are the Lust counters from Bug-Eyed Monsters - bottom left of this image (the medium size image is missing).

BEMs can become lust crazed when in the same hex as human women. The strange thing is, each BEM can only have one such counter at a time, but there are 10 BEMs and 21 counters... not even 20, but 21...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My first place in Seattle had a nice little bar countertop (avocado green, with lemon barstools) in the basement. I hung a 5-point elk rack (some of you might know it better as a 10-point) on the opposite wall.

We called it Whisky Bear's Drinking Den.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sgt Kelso from Squad Leader (before the ASL era) he will always be immortal for me

An ASL PzIII Flammpanzer is appropriate for persons liking to post inflammatory comments too

I've used Squad Leader counters looooong before it was cool too. But everyone using Vassal images made it lose it's coolness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[ImageID= 577289]

The Custard Pie in the Top Row. It's from the game Berserker, if you've read the right story you will remember it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a picture of it, but my favorite would be the "can of whupass" from the Gamers 1997 Xmas sheet.

EDIT: ah, here we go:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paradoxes wrote:
Hmm if I did, it might be from Squad Leader...

The same for me. I wish I still had my favourite counter. It was a 9-2 Cpt Wetzlberger from Squad Leader, who repeatedly save the day with awesome rallies and pinpoint shooting. I neglected to keep him when I sold the whole shebang 2 years ago. He was so worn that his counter look like SS camo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Hungadunga wrote:
Do you have a favorite counter? A counter you just hate? A striking or unusual counter?

If so, post a picture of it and explain why you like it, or think it's significant.

GGs will be awarded!

I have 40 GG to get rid of before the end of the year.

.....Do I need to explain? It is after all the madman's brain. It speaks for itself! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The B52 unit from Persian Gulf: Battle for the Middle East ...with a 10 dice strike rating no Warsaw Pact stack is safe!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most wargamers and historians I'm sure, I like the out-of-place unit, the unusual one.

I'm still only an amateur wargamer but I do enjoy and have been able to play a few rounds of EastFront II and my favourite counter is the Italian 8th Army. A long way from home, I always try and ensure they are involved in any major actions. They were key in destroying Soviet resistance in the Crimean in the last 1942 scenario I played.

Couldn't find a picture so dug out the counter and made my own.

[img]http://r-t-c.co.uk/misc/Italian block.jpg[/img]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Severed heads from the old SPI game Gondor

Sauron gets to lob them over the walls of Minas Tirith to unnerve and demoralise the heroic defenders. I like attention to detail like that in a wargame!

You can see them here on the countersheet (not all the images seem to be working atm, there may be a better one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
I don't have a picture of it, but my favorite would be the "can of whupass" from the Gamers 1997 Xmas sheet.

I think I have that sitting in my box of GD 41.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My personal favorite is MY Light Tank from Black Rose Mercenaries, one of the sponsored counter sheets from Ogre. Always was jealous of Lt Greenwood in SL, this was my chance to get in the game, as it were.

My other favorite would be XIII Corps from Bulge 20, it's the only game I own that has my dad's WWII outfit in it. He was in the 102d 'Ozark' Division, wintering near Aachen while Bulge was taking place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Do you have a favorite counter?

I do and will show you what it is once I can upload an image of it... Hope you can stand the wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pank
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

QuarterToThree wrote:
"…an oval inside a rectangle above two numbers separated by a dash has only one meaning: if you put them on a cardboard square, with some luck, you might be able to move them all the way to Moscow.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

(Apart from being only a Corporal, I mean, Come on!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.