Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
Hello Fans of Descent,

I am working to develop a variant for this game that as of right now I simply call "Story Events". My intent with this variant is just to simply add some fluff and flavor to the campaign phase of Descent 2E while at the same time give little boosts and banes to the Players and OL. Really just sprinkles here and there. The real intent is to just make the campaign phase even more entertaining for everyone playing the game.

Now, DISCLAIMER: If you're someone who thinks Descent CAN ONLY BE AND SHOULD ONLY EVER BE A "TACTICAL MINIATURES STRATEGY GAME" AND ANY RPG ELEMENTS TO THIS GAME UPSETS YOU, I would say to you, thanks for stopping by. Thank you for supporting the game and I hope you get what you want out of the system. However, that being said, I'm afraid that I am simply not interested in your opinion. I would ask that you please respect what we may try to do with on thread. Thanks!

However, if you think that Descent could be an awesome plug and play RPG for busy people in this day and age who cannot spend hours GM'ing then maybe this is a good variant to develop for you. Also, if you've been a fan of Warhammer Quest but don't wanna spend $900 for the game system, please read on.

Okay, now as I was saying, to put it more simplistically and more relatable, I am creating a Warhammer Quest Style events table for Descent. I have developed 24+ event thus far and have reworked existing material from WHQ and several WHQ websites to recreate story events for the Shadow Rune campaign of Descent. I also tried to make the event more thematically specific to Terrinoth and Runebound world in general. I feel like there is still some work to do though and am now reaching out to the community here. Of course, this variant is 100% optional, it's more like a SPIN THE WHEEL! type of thing. Sometimes it could help players, other times it could help overlord.

I'm not sure how to break it down. I THINK that I would like to make it more Arch-type specific? I have 24 items listed, that could be 12 for Healer and Warrior and then 12 events for Mage and Scout. Or, it could be 6 events for each Arch-type. I'm still not sure.

Probably the biggest thing I need advice on is scaling the prizes and penalties of the rolls (or maybe call them Boons and Banes?). I haven't played the game much to know how it scales. I imagine the boons or banes being very minor in nature and have a low impact on the rest of the game, but I also think it should be a gamble for player and therefore think more results say 2 of 3 should favor the Overlord.

lastly, I imagine there being "sequels" of event for lack of better turns. For example, if you roll the same event twice in a campaign, there may be a note that instructs you to reference an "appendix" event rather than experience that event all over again.

I have a living document going on my google drive and would like any suggestions or constructive criticisms. Again, this is all mainly for fluff and fun.

If anyone has event to contribute, please share. Okay...I open up to all of you..

Here's what I have so far. I think that best way to divvy the event up is by ARCH-TYPE. So a player rolls 2D6 against the table of his Arch-Type (Mage, Healer, Warrior, Scout). I will have to add one event to all but the Healer shortly. I will also add the Inns & Taverns Table soon as well.

All events below are specific to the Shadow Rune Campaign.

Roll 2D6 for the Arch-type being played and consult the table for the result

HEALER TABLE

2 STORM

The clouds become dark and black and it looks like a severe storm is approaching. In a few hours, the storm has hit. Rain pelts down upon the city and lightning flashes, lighting up the sky. Peals of thunder roll across the heavens. When you wake in the morning, the storm has left the city quarter in which you are staying devastated. If you had plans of leaving the city today, you must wait another day as you help rebuild the city quarter. You donate 25 gold in hopes that it will help those in need.

3 No Event

4 GOOD DEED

Leaving most of your gold carefully stashed away at the Inn, your Warrior goes out on the town, taking 25 gold with him. As you cross the street, you spot an elderly woman shouting from the second floor of a building that robbers have broken into her attic room and are stealing her few possessions. Quick to assist the less fortunate, you race up the rickety stairs to her room three at a time. As you enter her dimly lit room, a black bag is placed over your head, swiftly followed by a heavy iron bar. After several long hours you awaken in a nearby gutter, nursing a sore head. Not surprisingly, the gold you were carrying has all gone.

5 No Event

6 TEMPLE DONATION

Much taken with the teachings of the local priest of Kellos, you pledge 25 gold to his cause, selling equipment if necessary to meet the cost of the donation. The next time you are in a combat and fail to damage your opponent, the righteousness of Kellos will shine on you and you may add +2 (Heart) to the attack. You may only do this once for each donation you make (i.e., each time you roll this result on this table.)

7 No Event

8 AN HONEST DAY'S WORK

You are employed by a local merchant to carry bales of cotton to the riverside area for the day. While this work may not be as heroic as thwarting the schemes of goblin raiders it is still an honest days work and passes the time. This task earns you 25 gold.

9 BEGGARS

You have decided to take a shortcut to that runs through the slum quarter. You are accosted by a mob of beggars and, overwhelmed by the sadness of their plight, you decide to give each of the pitiful wretches 25 gold. If you cannot pay or choose not to pay gold you are overwhelmed by the crush of the poor and the sick. You will start the next quest with the diseased condition.

10 No Event

11 ACCIDENT

As you help an old crone to cross the bustling main street, a beer wagon unexpectedly careens out of control and crashes into you. She carefully peels you off the heavy, iron-shed wheel, and takes you to the infirmary to be patched up. You cannot buy anything while you recover and cannot participate in the shop step of the campaign phase.

12 FIRE AT THE INN

The Inn which your are staying has suspiciously caught fire. Attempting to be a good citizen, you race through the building, knocking on peoples doors and trying to evacuate the building. You must Test Knowledge -1 or Awareness -1:

FAIL: Thinking of elderly owner downstairs, you leap down the stairs three at a time. Unfortunately that happens to be more than you can handle and with a trip, you tumble head over heels down the rickety stairs until you land in an unconscious pile at the bottom. When you awake, you realize that someone else has saved your life, and not a moment too soon either. Your Hero will start with -2 Health due to smoke inhalation at the start of the next quest.

TIE: It appears to have been a false alarm. When you return to your room, you are angry to find that XX of gold has been stolen.

PASS: Burning timbers falling around you as you usher the inn patrons out into the street - just in time too, as the whole place collapses in a cloud of smoke and burning wood. You are congratulated for your good timing and in a ceremony given by the council is given a good citizen award.

MAGE TABLE

2 TALENT CONTEST

In order to boost morale around the city you are invited to perform in the local talent showcase. If you choose to participate you must test Knowledge to see how well you perform.

FAIL: You burst into your favourite chorus from the well known Alehouse jig, “The Goblin Witcher and his Lizard.”, by Bimble Buttercup, well renowned Gnome Poet. The rotten tomatoes do hurt after all and a hook begins to pull you off stage. You will be a -1 to all willpower tests during the next quest as your self esteem has been damaged.

TIE: As you are about to make your debut, you are overcome with stage fright. You decide it would be in your best interest to change your mind and watch other entertainers make fools of themselves.

PASS: After performing a segment from the masterful production of ‘The Great Runewar’ by Detlef Sierck, master theatre writer and performer, You receive a standing ovation for your soliloquy. You receive an offer from an interested contractor, asking if you would like to stay a week and perform for him. If you choose to do this, you may not participate in the next quest. At the next campaign phase, you receive a handsome fee of 100 gold. However, the Overlord may set-up the next quest scaled as if your hero were still on the quest.

3 No Event

4 STEAM BATH

Your Hero spends the rest of the day in the heady atmosphere of a steam bath, sweating off the after effects of last night's sojourn at the tavern. You emerge feeling far healthier than you have for a good while, with +1 added to his Starting Health score for the duration of the next quest.

5 No Event

6 DEBT

A debt collector has finally caught up with you. He is demanding payment for money you borrowed years ago in River Watch. The sum you originally borrowed was not substantial, but the interest rates are astronomical. The outstanding balance is 1D6 x 20 gold, and if you cannot pay in full immediately the slimey debt collector and his thugs take all the gold you have available plus one piece of equipment of your choosing. If you roll this result again, re roll.

7 PICKPOCKET

In the crowded marketplace streets, no-one notices the skillful fingers of the Thieves' Guild relieving the Heroes of their money. All of the heroes must test Awareness to determine which of the Warriors are pickpocketed. If one hero fails this test they must lose 1 item of their choosing.

8 STREET PERFORMERS

The Heroes are captivated by a particularly brilliant troupe of street performers from Tamalir, who are presenting their own rendition of a popular and contemporary play. The play the Heroes gather to watch is called (roll once on each of the tables below, taking a note of the numbers rolled)

1 Death of ..

2 The lost love of ..

3 A return to ..

4 No Solace for .

5 Cursed be ..

6 Drunken as ..

1 …The Latari

2 ... A love struck Minstrel

3 ... Solitude

4 ... Blackthorn Grove

5 ... The Baron of Nerekhall

6 ... The Ever bungling Gnome!

At the end of the performance, roll another 1D6 to see how good or bad the actors were.

1 Appalling! The Heroes have never seen such rubbish in their lives, and join in with the raucous crowd by pelting the unfortunate actors with rotten vegetables.

2·5 Entertaining. The Heroes each give the actors 25 gold.

6 Splendid! The Heroes are captivated, and shower the actors with well earned praise, and a lot of gold too! The Heroes collectively give the actors 50 gold. The troupe tell them wild tales of far-away lands, and news around Terrinoth. The Hero’s may each re-roll a single Knowledge Test during the next quest.

9 No Event

10 DEAD BODY

While walking down the footpath you trip over and hit your nose. Cursing your clumsiness, you pick yourself up and turn around. Sticking out from a side alley is a dead body. You look around, thinking that people might think you have killed the poor blighter, but no one has noticed. You can either investigate or move along.

If you investigate:

The body is that of a well respected Nobleman of the settlement. You hurriedly search his body and find a note pinned to him that says, “Debt Paid, Courtesy of the Red Blade”. A few villagers notice you searching the body. Unwilling to cause an incident you move away.

If you choose to move alongs:

As you pass the body turns over, it’s hand reaches up and clasps onto your arm. It sits upright, and you realize it is one of the Baron’s guards. “His agents are among us, the one behind it all is…” is all you can understand as the guard slips into death. Unwilling to cause an incident you move away as a crowd begins to gather around the scene.

11 No Event

12 Tavern and Inns Event Table

WARRIOR TABLE

2 No Event

3 No Event

4 STREET FIGHT

Today you decide to stroll about the Marketplace perusing over many exotic goods, spices and characters.While attempting to purchase some new equipment for the upcoming journey, your Hero begins to argue with a burly street trader who has tried to charge you far too much for some shoddy items. The argument escalates to a brawl very quickly. The trader’s strength surprises you as he sends you crashing into several merchant booths. A crowd begins to gather and shouts from angry merchants grows louder. You must test MIGHT and consult the results below:

FAIL: Your Hero is bested after a hard struggle against the trade and loses 25 gold. The merchants whose stalls you wrecked verbally berate you out of the market.

TIE: After a fierce struggle, you knock the impudent trader to the ground, where he stays to collect his teeth. While he is busy, you take 25 gold from his stall as a lesson. You lose sight of him as the other merchants swarm his stall for compensation.

PASS: A dozen evil-looking thugs - the trader's bodyguards leap out from the shadows, attacking you with knives, coshes and cudgels. Unperturbed, you coolly dispatch them with a few well-placed sword strokes, empty their purses, and end up 50 gold better off.

5 No Event

6 CIRCUS

Today there is a travelling circus in town that hails from Tamalir. You spend the day wandering from sideshow to sideshow seeing the jugglers, the oddities and the acrobats. Suddenly, you spot a dark and mystical wagon with an aura of magic swirling around it. The sign outside says “Have Your Fortune Told” and overwhelmed with an intoxicating sense curiosity you choose to enter.

Perhaps the sign above the door to that particular wagon should say 'Have your fortune stolen', as for a cost of 25 gold, you are told nothing more than that your destiny lies with a tall, dark stranger from Frostgate!

7 REWARD

You see a city watch poster warning that a well-known murderer known only as the “Red Blade” is reputed to be in the city. The poster is offering a reward for his capture. The criminal in question is described as very tall, wearing a black cloak and hat, and having a heavy Dawnsmoor accent. Upon reading this, you realize that the description exactly fits a character you bumped into earlier this very evening skulking outside a Manor House. You rush back and manage to apprehend the villain just as he is dragging a gagged noble-woman into a dark alley.

You must Test MIGHT or AWARENESS -1

FAIL: The murderer cackles at you and snuffs out the life of the young woman. He throws the knife at your feet and flees, shouting “Help, murder!” Soon you are surrounded by an angry mob, and only your best efforts (and 1D6 x 10) gold coins persuade them that you are indeed innocent. The Overlord Gains X Threat Tokens.

TIE: You save the young woman’s life, but the murderer slips away into the gloom of the night. You may never know if it was the Red Blade.

PASS: You quickly free the noble-woman and cunningly capture the murderer, for which you are proclaimed a hero and given 50 gold reward. The “Red Blade” curses you and vows revenge.

If you have previously rolled this EVENT, regardless of outcome proceed to EVENT Sequel 1 instead.

8 RUNAWAY

While strolling along the main street, you hear a disturbance just around the corner. A moment later a huge runaway bull charges down the street, wrecking market stalls and causing panic. Your can let it pass by hiding down a side alley, or try to stop the enraged animal.

If you hide down the alley and let the bull pass, you must test Awareness -1:

FAIL You skulk in the shadows, waiting for the action to die down. As you peep around the corner, a mugger's metal bar hits you over the head. When you regain consciousness, your purse is 25 gold coins lighter.

PASS: After waiting nervously in the dark for a few minutes, you see the bull roar past and career off down a side street. The danger is passed and you may carry on about your business.

If your Warrior tries to stop the bull, you must test Might -1:

FAIL: You wave the passers-by aside and leaps out in front of the bull, sword drawn. The bull hesitates for half a second or so, and then tramples you into the dirt before carrying on its way. The crowd then stomps all over you in the rush to follow the bull, leaving you to nurse your injuries alone in an empty street.You will be -1 Health at the start of the next quest

TIE: A single sword thrust stops the bull dead in its tracks literally. As its carcass twitches spasmodically, the crowd roars in approval and shower you with 25 gold. Then the bull's enraged owner arrives, and relieves you of 50 gold - it was his prize stud, and he wanted it stopped, not slaughtered!

PASS: You give the bull a hard stare and it skids to a halt, snorting and pawing the ground. Putting a rope around its neck, you lead it back to its stall. The crowd cheers and shower you with confetti and 25 gold.

9 GAMBLING

Your Hero visits the local inn and gets involved in a dubious game of dice with some unsavory men from Carthridge. They speak fast with the rules of the game and cast the die.

Make an Awareness or a Knowledge Test

FAIL: You lose badly, and must forfeit one item of your choice or 50 gold.

TIE: You come out of the game evens.

PASS: You win 25 gold.

10 Taverns and Inns Events Table

11 No Event

12 DUEL

You are challenged to a duel by a professional duellist whom you insulted in a tavern. The duel is scheduled to take place at dawn tomorrow. You can either leave town immediately or take up the challenge. If you take part in the duel test MIGHT:

FAIL: The two of you fight for hour after hour, each inflicting many light wounds on the other. Eventually the sun goes down and the fight is declared a draw. The duellist congratulates you on your excellent swordsmanship, and offers you a fine supper and the best wine at the most expensive Inn in the city.

PASS: After a few minutes, you realize that you have the better of the duellist and you confidently despatch him. On his body you find jewels worth 50 gold.

SCOUT TABLE

2 DRUGGED

Visiting the local tavern in a rather seedy area, you partake of a curious drink offered to you by the bartender. After one swig, you feel the effects of the liquid take hold. You have been drugged! You must test Willpower:

FAIL: You have been poisoned by one the Overlords spies and will be at -1 to all Attribute Tests (to a minimum of 1) for the duration of the next quest.

PASS: The liquid in question is simply very strong dwarven ale, and you quickly get a taste for it. The only ill effect is a pounding head next morning.

3 No Event

4 RIOTOUS LIVING

Taken with the joys of hot food, strong ale and a comfortable bed after so long out in the wilds, your Hero overspends on such luxuries by 25 gold. However, you savor every moment you can.

5 No Event

6 GAMBLING

Your Hero visits the local inn and gets involved in a dubious game of dice with some unsavory men from Carthridge. They speak fast with the rules of the game and cast the die.

Make an Awareness or a Knowledge Test

FAIL: You lose badly, and must forfeit one item of your choice or 50 gold.

TIE: You come out of the game evens.

PASS: You win 25 gold.

7 No Event

8 Taverns and Inns Events Table

9 ANTAGONIST

Walking along a busy streets of the marketplace, the Heroes hear a frenzied voice, hurling insults at them. One of the heroes have been recognized by an old adversary who claims that they wronged him in the past, and he wants everyone in the city to know. Whether or not the Hero has ever seen the antagonist before is beside the point, as he latches on to them and loudly denounces them wherever they go. The agitator stays with the heroes unless they can collectively pass a Willpower test. If all heroes pass this test their commanding presence as tough adventurers convinces the antagonist to stand down and skulk away. However, if one Hero should fail the test, he stays with them and all items the party tries to buy will cost double the normal price in gold this campaign phase.

10 No Event

11 OLD FRIEND

While checking out the wares at the local market, you spot Falzon Curtblade, someone known to you from your homeland. Falzon spots you and comes over. Grinning cheerfully, he shakes your hand and the two of you head off to the Alehouse to reminisce about old times. After talking (and drinking) most of the night, you must Test Knowledge:

FAIL: Falzon tells you that he is a member of a travelling circus which has made it’s way to this city. He is a famous juggler, his most amazing act is juggling five squiggly beasts while singing “The Goblin Witcher and the Razorwing”. He gives you a free ticket to the circus. Proceed directly to “The Circus” event next time you choose to roll on the events table. This is the only event you can experience that campaign phase.

PASS: It seems that Falzon had heard your were in town and had travelled here to repay a debt of 1D6 x 10 gold pieces which he borrowed off you many years ago. Amazed that he would travel many miles to this Settlement just to repay you, you thank him kindly and buy another round

12 EMPLOYMENT

You find gainful employment in the local abattoirs. Here, you slaughter beasts and prepare them for sale at the city butchers. You earn 25 gold, but must start the next quest at -1 Health due to the terrible smell of rotting carcasses.

ALEHOUSE EVENTS TABLE

Roll 2D6

2 As you sit quietly in the corner sipping wine or ale, a traveling merchant, resplendent in the very best furs, invites himself to join you. The jingle of gold and jewels as he sits suggests he may well be fairly wealthy.

He introduces himself as Lothar and buys a round of drinks. He confides that he has in his possession the Talisman of Erik, and that this is the secret of his fortune. He explains that he has chosen you to take it off his hands, as it may only be carried for a year and a day before its curse takes effect and any wealth gained with it is lost tenfold. This wondrous artifact only costs XX gold, and as well as attracting wealth will render the wearer invulnerable.

Parting with his gold with unheard-of eagerness, you take the talisman and place it around your neck. He exchanges small talk for a while, then Lothar tearfully bids him farewell, explaining that he can no longer be so close to the object of his good fortune, now it is no longer his. Moments after Lothar has left, a warhammer smacks you over the back of your head. Surprisingly - considering you now wear the talisman - the blow is excruciatingly painful. “'Ere mate.” grunts a drunken Dwarf behind him, waving the offending weapon, “I think you've bin 'ad.”

The talisman is indeed a fake.

3 You end up very drunk by drinking the finest Latari wines and thus short 25 gold.

4 The local tattoo artist inscribes a picture of a slain dragon on your back. Standing atop its corpse is none other than an image of yourself, brandishing a huge sword. Beneath the image is an impressive scroll, with your name and the legend 'Mitey Worrier' inscribed in a cursive script.

5 You end up very drunk by drinking far too much of the finest Ales that Dwarven City of Forge can offer and thus you are gifted an pounding headache the next day..

6 An ageing Barbarian from Frostgate demonstrates to you how covering yourself in the congealed fat from a cooked pig makes you very slippery and hard to get to grips with. You’re not sure how to apply his demonstration, but you thank him politely, drink up and swiftly move for the door.

7 You end up very drunk by drinking a very strange concoction that has become very popular in Greyhaven as of late. Not to be intimidated by a drink made those frail scholars you drink up and thus cannot remember the night’s revelries...but it appears you have a new tattoo.

8 The Slaughterhouse Singers, a travelling group of minstrels from Tamalir, teach you 'She was only the Emperor's Daughter', a raucous song customarily delivered at such an atonal mega-decibel bellow it causes windows to shatter and ears to bleed. You may now break into a verse of this ditty on the next quest to stun one of your enemies.

9 You stay in the bar for a mammoth drinking session. At the end of the night you are the only person still standing, and can relieve all the other patrons of whatever gold they have on their persons. This nets you a haul of 25 gold, and you return to your companions bearing a smug expression and the wholesome feeling of a job well done.

10 You get into a fight with some rowdy adventurers at the Alehouse who insist that a name like yours must belong to a weak willed goblin louse. Test MIGHT:

FAIL: The adventurers easily overpower you and make off with 25

TIE: Just as the fight is going your way, the Barkeep breaks it up and insists that you all leave immediately.

PASS: You easily teach the adventures a lesson and demand half of their gold, which comes to 25 gold as compensation.

11 After the evening's debaucheries, you seem to have impressed a cloaked traveler with your charisma. You are persuaded by the enchanting Latari diplomat to retire to her/his suite for a night-cap. You must test your Knowledge or Awareness -1:

FAIL: The evening's entertainment is cut short by the sudden arrival of the elve’s escort. Make an immediate MIGHT Test.

FAIL: You are caught and soundly thrashed; deduct one from your Starting Wounds during the next quest.

PASS: You manage to elude capture by the the Elven Guards, thus avoiding a diplomatic dilemma for the Baron.

PASS: The night passes away in rapturous bliss and when you awaken in the morning you are given a gift from the beautiful elf. As he/she gently kisses your cheek he/she presses a scroll into your hand, proclaiming you to be a special envoy of the Latari.

Roll a 1D6 before drawing shop cards for the next campaign phase. On a roll of a 1 the contact has been discovered and cancelled by the Latari elders and the local officials duly confiscate it You may no longer roll a 1D6. However, on a 2 or more it allows your band of adventurers to add + 1 Shop Card to the stock during the campaign phase as everybody makes that extra effort to find what you require.

12 You join a mammoth drinking session of the Apprentice's Guild and soon end up taking part in their traditional 'Best Steal' competition. You must, in your drunken haze, pilfer the most impressive object you can think of. Of course, this isn't without risk as the Watch tends to look down on such activities. Test Awareness -1 or Willpower -1:

FAIL: You are caught by the Watch attempting to remove a park bench from the Baron’s Home for Retired Knights. They place in you in a drunk pen for the rest of the evening.

TIE: You wake to find the helmet of a Daqan Foot Soldier clutched to your chest, however this unoriginal attempt is far surpassed.

PASS: You use your vast experience and skill to procure yourself a chalice of devotion from the local Temple of Kellos. The apprentices are duly awed by this and you win whatever they have managed to find. Randomly draw two shop item cards from the appropriate act of the campaign and choose one to keep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for creating this list! I fall into the "want Descent to be a D&D / RPG replacement because none of us have time for hours of DM'ing and campaign creation". I just got the game and am looking forward to getting my gaming group into an extended campaign.

I expect I will come back to the list looking to spice things up after a while. I hope you continue to refine and improve these events!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great ideas here, nice one.

I had a fighting fantasy flashback reading number 21!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
Obviously, all of these are dead pan rip offs from Warhammer Quest and Warhammer Quest Websites. If someone can come up with Originals to toss in, I think it would be great. Also good to know I'm not alone in my desire to fluff descent up.

Again, any suggestions on how to divide this list up or anything?

Feel free to PM me if it's easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice list, and neat idea. Thanks for sharing.

You might also want to look at the Advanced HeroQuest rulebook (predecessor to WHQ) for inspiration on random events between quests. If you look around the web you can find a downloadable version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
Thank, I have a copy of that. It might be nice (and this is putting the cart WAY before the horse) to save those and stock pile additional event for future Descent Campaigns (i.e. L. of Ruin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure if you want only inbetween actions

Taverns Trophy request,
after slaying a large 2x1 or larger beast spend a action to collect a trophy for the Tavern. once you had this in you gain friendly allies in town, you may use this card to cancel negative events

OR

if you didn't want it to affect the next quest you could have it make a intelligence to barter with the tavern keep to hang your trophies on the wall if you pass gain allies in town who help you navigate and avoid some of the worse things the town has to offer use in the future to cancel a negative downtime effect

(playing to much etrain odyssey)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
I'm probably going to need to find a Median and Mode for a 2 player game and a 4 player game for a single quest. I made it so a lot of these events could potentially rob the Players of some cash, but I do not want to clean them out. I speculate that a single quest could range from 50 gold to 250 gold collectively depending on how many players, and all in 25 gold increments, so I'm probably going to go back and scratch the 1D6 x XX idea. I don't think it's going to work.

Median and Mode per 1 Quest? Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll make a suggestion of a place to farm ideas from. The old game Barbarian Prince has a ton of events and ideas that one can use verbatim or as inspiration. I believe the game is free to download somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
Updated 12/27

Inn & Tavern Table still pending.

any feedback would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
Updated 1/7/2014! Added Ale House Events Table. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I do like the idea of some rpg sparkle between the Descent quests. It would add some ways to "care" about their characters and personnality.

First feeling : the healer has almost only "bad" event making him loose money, I think it will be important to balance each "archetype event" so the probability of "good" and "bad" event is equal.

I like the multiple issue of the event, perhaps we could go a bit further by obligating the hero to make critical choices :
Ex :
You hear an old lady screaming for help. Did you go helping her ?
If not, you have a -1 Willpower for the next quest, thinking with remorse of what may have happened to her.
If you go, make an awarness test.
Pass : There is a shadow behind the door : it's a trap ! You kick into the door, stunning the grand-son of the old lady who was waiting for you with a heavy club. The reward for this city-wanted couple of thugs is 25 gold.
Failed : You run into the room and hit something hard with you head. When you wake up in a gutter, you feel lighter... of 25 gold !

For the hero number scalling : each hero will roll your test, so 4 heroes will have more opportunity to gain/loose than a 2 heroes party. It should scale automatically.

Thanks for your work !
I will be eger to see it evolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
Thanks for YOUR feedback! I will try to implement your changes and take another run at the healer. Keep them coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimso wrote:
Thanks for YOUR feedback! I will try to implement your changes and take another run at the healer. Keep them coming.

As I can't stand in place while a crazy idea like yours run in my mind and I think posting forum message back and forth is a bit heavy for this type of collaborative work, I did a collaborative document here (everyone is welcome to participate):

https://www.writelatex.com/644576svzfvs

It is based on the LaTeX writting langage (so powerfull...) so don't be afraid of the "cryptic" syntax (HTML like), you can easily change the content.

If you prefer another way, I would gladly adapt to your needs.

After a first "table" layout (simple and efficient to lay the idea down), I was thinking of a "card layout", so the player is assured not to draw the same event twice during a campaign. But with LaTeX, we can easily change the layout afterwards.

What do you think of it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
With an immensely special thank you to urukwai, we are moving the table in only slightly different direction. It involves actually choices and consequences as you can see in his above link. Formatting and developing the options all goes to him! This is a public thank you! Please feel free community to offer choices based on what we have done with the Healer table so far!

Also, would this work better as printable cards or tables printed on a descent style formatting? I'm for as much detail as possible, only so much you can squeeze on a card. However, sometimes less it more. Cards maybe be easier to draw instead of roll. I see advantages to both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.