Hide
15 Posts

The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Different Turn Order Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeb Makula
msg tools
The other turn order questions didn't cover this, so maybe I am missing something in the rules.

Is the only way to change turn order through the ships? Is there no reset of any kind during the game? Doesn't this just lead to everyone being stacked on the end space by the end of the game, just shuffling to the top occasionally when they play a ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jebmak wrote:
The other turn order questions didn't cover this, so maybe I am missing something in the rules.

Is the only way to change turn order through the ships? Is there no reset of any kind during the game? Doesn't this just lead to everyone being stacked on the end space by the end of the game, just shuffling to the top occasionally when they play a ship?

There is no other way.

I don't understand your shuffling comment. The turn order track is exactly long enough so you get to the end of it if you build all of your ships. As some players will build many fewer than that, no, not everyone will be stacked on the end space.

One of us is missing something obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are, usually, only a couple of ships available per round. And some people will be competing for them, which in a three or four player games means some people won't. So no, not everyone will build all their ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeb you may not be understanding how to progress on the track that determines turn order. Whenever you place a ship on your estate, (not taking it from a depot, but placing it on your estate map) that does one of two things, including moving your player marker one space to the right on the track. If there are two player markers on the same space, the one on the top is first player.

So yes, as the previous poster noted, the only way to change turn order is by placing ships onto your estate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think others have already answered the first part of your question, no there is no other way to change player order other than placing a ship tile into your estate.

Regarding the second part: in theory, yes. IF all players completed all of their Ship/Water tile spaces, then all the players would be stacked at the end of the Play Order Track. However this is extremely unlikely if not impossible; and if it did occur it would be very late in the game at which point I'm not sure player order will be as significant. Reality is that supply and demand will limit how many Ship Tiles or incentive Goods one can choose. It is also unlikely that everyone will pursue the Ship/Water strategy aggressively.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn orders are define by the Ship tiles. You advance 1 step on the turn order track (if any) if you place a ship tile into your estate.

Now, there are many reasons you want to be the first on the turn order track (any time or at any specific time).
For most of it, is because you want to go first each round. You know, to get tiles you want before anyone else, or to complete one region before anyone else.
But keep in mind, though first player has the advantage, being too early on the track can put you behind for the rest of the game, especially if the competition is tight on the track. This is the balancing of the turn order. If you go first, you play last in the end.

So it's always a good thing to hold down your advance in the spot before the last if you want to do something important at the end game (making sure you're not the last player). Okay you sacrificed the Ship region completion but do this if you have a better option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The CoB promo set of tiles comes with a new yellow tile (well, two actually). But one of them, when placed on your board makes you always go first no matter where you are on the turn order track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miesner
United States
Napoleon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the description on the Promo tiles, it only puts you at the top of the stack on the turn order track. So if someone is ahead of you they still go first, but if someone plays a ship after you to share your space you would stay on top. Unless I'm mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marimbaman wrote:
According to the description on the Promo tiles, it only puts you at the top of the stack on the turn order track. So if someone is ahead of you they still go first, but if someone plays a ship after you to share your space you would stay on top. Unless I'm mistaken.

Yes this is true. It only works if you share the same space with other players. If someone advances to the next space, then the tile is useless against him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Makula
msg tools
Shuffling was a bad word choice, I just meant slowly moving.

I think that I understand now. The issue was that I thought that the pieces were laid out adjacent on the turn order track as opposed to on top of each other at the start.

Thank you everyone for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
caltexn wrote:
Whenever you place a ship on your estate, (not taking it from a depot, but placing it on your estate map) that does one of two things ...

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you said, but just in case ... placing a ship does two things, not "one of two things". You don't choose which of the two things - you do both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
SteveK2 wrote:
caltexn wrote:
Whenever you place a ship on your estate, (not taking it from a depot, but placing it on your estate map) that does one of two things ...

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you said, but just in case ... placing a ship does two things, not "one of two things". You don't choose which of the two things - you do both.

I was playing CoB and watching another group play the same game at a different table. After about a hour, I could tell that something was amiss at the other table.

Their turn order markers were all near the start of the track. I wandered over and noted that all of them had played at least two boats and two of them had played three boats.

Turns out that they thought you had to choose one of two actions to perform when you placed a boat. Either advance on the turn order track OR sell a good. Double plus ungood.

I explained the proper rule to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game we played we completely missed the turn order rules somehow, and kept the same turn order the entire game, or changed it each phase or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kactus04 wrote:
The first game we played we completely missed the turn order rules somehow, and kept the same turn order the entire game, or changed it each phase or something.

If the turn order changes each phase the first player will be first twice in a 4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Kactus04 wrote:

We made a similar mistake! I looked and looked and could not find the rules on how turn order worked, and one of the other players looked too (though she hadn't read the rules as I had) so we just did it a way that seemed to make sense.

Afterwards, of course, I found the rules right in a perfectly sensible place, but in the middle of a paragraph which somehow I'd skimmed over every time.

shake blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.