Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Seeking abstract game suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw a post by designer Nick Bentley where he was pleased with a recent review of 'Catchup'

It was noted how often abstract games are designed, yet rarely reviewed, or even played.

That is obviously more the case with games where commercial versions are not made (gipf games and Hive have had there share of reviews for abstracts).

But I do doubt if Go were created today it would get much coverage.

So as a reviewer who writes a game up every week for a newspaper, I am going to attempt to change that just a bit.

Over 2014 I am going to review at least a few non-commercially available abstracts such as Catchup.

So what I'd like here is some help. What abstract strategy games would fans suggest I delve into?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea!

I'd like to hear more about Dameo. But there are plenty others I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest reviewing Camelot, even though it use to be commercial. Amazons would be another great one. Ditto for Gonnect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Camelot ages ago, although not what I was looking for here since it was commercially available, and actually rather widely played in the past

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/332357/created-in-1888-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! Other games worthy of review could be Oust and Slither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AbStrateGyk
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How abouts abstracts that were once commercially available but are no longer made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few off the top of my head:

Slither
Amazons
Aries
Mirador
Alfred's Wyke
Veletas
Vimbre (or other of his various square grid connection games)
Xodd

There are also various "not commercially available as a game in a package of its own" Looney Pyramid abstract strategy games, if you're open to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
tckoppang wrote:
Excellent idea!

I'd like to hear more about Dameo. But there are plenty others I can think of.

Dameo would be a very good game to review, as would most other games that can be found in the mindsports ArenA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gounki

An abstract race game. Good fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a review of...

Blob
Harvest
Carnac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United Kingdom
Ventnor
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting a lot of fun out of "Let's Catch the Lion!" Something really tickles me about taking a massive national game (Shogi), giving it an animal theme in order to make it accessible to kids and attract women to the game, but incidentally at the same time make the game really accessible to foreigners.

You could include "Hey! That's My Fish!" and make the theme of the article "Kids games that go as far as to have exclamation marks in the title which are surprisingly deep and interesting for adults".

I think I'm off topic as both of these sets are available commercially. are you literally looking for games that for example you can play on a board with some pieces but which have never been packaged as an actual game you can buy off the shelf?

Yavalath might fit there? But then NestorGames are steadily picking up all of these unpublished abstract games, and, well, publishing them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
games like Catchup and Slither are excellent fits

Games that obviously have merit, but there are not really boxed games to buy.

That's My Fish I have played and truly disliked

Amazons ends so long before its over it bores. By that I mean once territories are established the end is determined. Very hoohum to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see my celebration will have inspired a more worthy end than the tooting of my own horn! This is a lovely idea. I've learned from my own attempts to write stuff about abstract games that a well-written, catchy, interesting piece can attract a surprising amount of attention. Not that I'm able to manage it often.

My votes:

Slither
Ayu
Entrapment
Pit of Pillars

..and of course I wouldn't object to another review of Catchup (or any other game I've designed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:
Amazons ends so long before its over it bores. By that I mean once territories are established the end is determined. Very hoohum to me

Err... that just means that Amazons is over when the territories are finished. Of course you don't play it out until no moves are possible.

Sort of like how chess is over when you checkmate, and you don't need to formally capture the king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when I email you some questions on catchup to flesh out an article I can expect in-depth answers then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry Amazon is another game that was worth a few plays and left behind. Too bad too, I painted some nice pieces for a boring game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:
So when I email you some questions on catchup to flesh out an article I can expect in-depth answers then

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to know more about Khan, also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Of course you don't play it out until no moves are possible.

Tell that to some of the players on GL and SDG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Talisinbear wrote:

Err... that just means that Amazons is over when the territories are finished. Of course you don't play it out until no moves are possible.

Sort of like how chess is over when you checkmate, and you don't need to formally capture the king.

Even though this is true, and even though we stop the game at the moment territories are determined, and even though overall I like the game a great deal, there's still something about the way it ends that I just don't love. Something about it feels...diffuse...or anticlimactic...or something. I lack the right words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so how does Ayu comapre to Volo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:

I've not played Volo so can't compare, but Ayu is very approachable and intuitive-feeling. Something clicks about it from the very first play, which is often not the case with abstract games (for me anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Talisinbear wrote:

Ayu's structure and move protocol are much simpler, much less 'put together', more a discovery than a design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
Talisinbear wrote:

Ayu's structure and move protocol are much simpler, much less 'put together', more a discovery than a design.

Ayu does feel simpler or "more natural" to me also, although interestingly both Ayu and Volo take a bit of getting used to in the sense that (at least with the few people I've played with) it seems easy to misread or brainfart about a given move's legality or illegality until you're used to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
Give Murus Gallicus and Cannon a shot along with Entrapment. Also Santorini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.