Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just announced on AEG's Facebook page:

Quote:
We're about to go on break until after the new year, but before we go a little preview! Coming April 2014, a new Thunderstone release that brings the best of classic Thunderstone into Thunderstone: Advance with updated cards and abilities!

There is box art as well.

https://www.facebook.com/alderac
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Very excited for this to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They did it!
I haven't played Thunderstone Adv. in a while, but I remember really wanting there to be a release of updated "top-hits" from the previous generation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! I love the Summoner monster set that summons monsters from the original game. It will be cool to have some of these older cards since I didn't start playing until Advance came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news! I just got into Thunderstone via Numenera and I loved it! So I am really glad to see that Thunderstone lives on despite some speculations that I have been hearing recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo hoo!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Francis
United States
Portsmouth
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! That's awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this online store, this will be a pretty big expansion. Here's the text:

Quote:
Thunderstone Advance: Worlds Collide tells the story of a battle for survival in a world of ancient evil and darkness.

The set showcases 550 cards from the first six Thunderstone releases, including some of the previously hard to find promos, all updated and fully compatible with Thunderstone Advance.

It includes many fan favorites from this best-selling deck builder's history. Whether you're a new player looking to try the game for the first time, or an experienced veteran wanting to update your older cards, you'll be able to use these vintage heroes and equipment to battle Doom and his minions, in an epic fight.

Contents: Contains 550 cards, rulebook, board, XP tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap that's a lot of card very excited for this. As someone who until recently only had tower of ruin, this game just gets better with the variety of cards. Especially playing epic thunderstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raphaelus wrote:
According to this online store, this will be a pretty big expansion. Here's the text:

Quote:
Thunderstone Advance: Worlds Collide tells the story of a battle for survival in a world of ancient evil and darkness.

The set showcases 550 cards from the first six Thunderstone releases, including some of the previously hard to find promos, all updated and fully compatible with Thunderstone Advance.

It includes many fan favorites from this best-selling deck builder's history. Whether you're a new player looking to try the game for the first time, or an experienced veteran wanting to update your older cards, you'll be able to use these vintage heroes and equipment to battle Doom and his minions, in an epic fight.

Hopefully no starter cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogue148 wrote:
raphaelus wrote:

Quote:

Hopefully no starter cards

If its got its own board and XP tokens, then you can definitely bet on there being starter cards. Unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
How many damn sets are they going to put out with a board and everything else? Increasing the price for no good reason. Already have the latest "expansion" I'm hesitant to get due to price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am really hoping that they do something similar to Nightfall where the additional standalone expansions actually had unique starter cards and the like so that combining sets gave you more options. Otherwise I agree that it'd be a bummer to basically have two identical boards and tokens and 3 sets of starter cards for those of us who have Numenera as well.

Maybe re-envisioned militia rather than regulars? That'd be cool so long as they were updated in some fun way.

I'm 98% sold on getting this regardless because I want the cards, but I hope they did give us a way of not completely duplicating those elements!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe babbitt
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
How many damn sets are they going to put out with a board and everything else? Increasing the price for no good reason. Already have the latest "expansion" I'm hesitant to get due to price.

Standard Disclaimer: While I am a member of the Thunderstone Design Team, I am NOT an employee of AEG and my opinions should be regarded not as canon but as educated guesses.

I understand the frustration with ANOTHER board and MORE starter cards. I get it. However, I think that the working idea is that this is not an expansion. This is not acting under the assumption that you have already bought other Thunderstone games. It's a good point for those who are interested in getting in but have missed the first 6 sets, or those (like me) who own the cards but would love to have them with new templating and rules clarifications. This said, I think it is more important to cater to the former group, and make it so you can play the game even if this is the only thing you ever buy for Thunderstone. Again, I'm no employee, but I am pretty certain that these things are not being included so that the price can be jacked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not accusing them of purposely adding extra stuff to make more money. I'm sure their profit margins aren't very much per extra bit. Anyways, I get the idea of easy entry into the game, but isn't that what the starter set should be for? I think they've gone just on the other edge of excessive with two releases in a row being standalone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The starter set just came out - make that your entry point into the game system and then you can buy into the other expansions. If you want to skip the starter set, you get Towers of Ruin and then buy expansions. Yet another big box (ToR, Numenera, now this) is too much. Multiple entry points just confuses first time buyers, especially those new to deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, in Ascension, which I really enjoy, every single set includes starter cards and VP tokens. So you can say that Thunderstone fans are a bit luckier in this respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, full set. Yeah, it will be pricier then.

Well, if there is a board, it would be cool if it had different art. Instead of the pure parchment with a photo in the top, perhaps a medieval style map with villages and mountains etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe babbitt
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
raphaelus wrote:
Oh, full set. Yeah, it will be pricier then.

Well, if there is a board, it would be cool if it had different art. Instead of the pure parchment with a photo in the top, perhaps a medieval style map with villages and mountains etc.

I like this idea a lot actually. I'll bring this up at a design meeting. I can't promise it will fly because I don't know what it takes to make that happen, but I think that it's a sound idea.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an employee of AEG and my opinions and statements are mine and in no way reflect the company, nor do they have basis in known facts, just my partially educated guesses.

Not to shill for them, but as someone who has seen the back end of the industry through dealings with a number of companies, I can safely say that some of these decisions are helped along by how the game is doing in terms of sales. If a game is performing well, there is an impetus to please the fans and introduce more material. There's no point in expending the resources to expand a game that no one is buying. Common sense, really. The good news here is that for all of the naysayers who have said that they thought Thunderstone dead, here we are with upcoming releases...which going by the statement above should offer a clue as to its viability/popularity. If you want your favorite games to continue, talk about it, start discussions, generate interest, buy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe babbitt
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
I'm not accusing them of purposely adding extra stuff to make more money. I'm sure their profit margins aren't very much per extra bit. Anyways, I get the idea of easy entry into the game, but isn't that what the starter set should be for?

Yes and no. If you've played someone else's copy and already love the game, then this being a standalone is a no-brainer. The Starter Set is more for someone who has heard a bunch about the game but is hesitant to pull the trigger on a full price full set. It allows them to get the feel of the game at a much lower price, and if they find it's not to their liking, they have saved money. If it is to their liking, then they have cards unique to the game, so it's not a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
amigo de fuego wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

Standard Disclaimer: While I am a member of the Thunderstone Design Team, I am NOT an employee of AEG and my opinions should be regarded not as canon but as educated guesses.

I understand the frustration with ANOTHER board and MORE starter cards. I get it. However, I think that the working idea is that this is not an expansion. This is not acting under the assumption that you have already bought other Thunderstone games. It's a good point for those who are interested in getting in but have missed the first 6 sets, or those (like me) who own the cards but would love to have them with new templating and rules clarifications. This said, I think it is more important to cater to the former group, and make it so you can play the game even if this is the only thing you ever buy for Thunderstone. Again, I'm no employee, but I am pretty certain that these things are not being included so that the price can be jacked up.

It does make sense, but with this there are now twice as many base sets for Advance as there are expansions (ToR, Numenera, Starter Set, Worlds Collide vs two expansions).

Though come to think of it, maybe the board will be different (and perhaps also introduce the coloured XP from Numenera) and so it's just created as an expansion for those with just the Starter box. It's odd that the two things mentioned (board and tokens) happen to be what was omitted from the Start set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amigo de fuego wrote:
The Starter Set is more for someone who has heard a bunch about the game but is hesitant to pull the trigger on a full price full set. It allows them to get the feel of the game at a much lower price, and if they find it's not to their liking, they have saved money.

As someone who bought the Starter Set for exactly this reason, I'm glad AEG is giving me another option to get a board and xp tokens besides ToR, which is increasingly hard to find a good price on, and Numenara, which is not thematically to everyone's liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Darkwynd wrote:
amigo de fuego wrote:
The Starter Set is more for someone who has heard a bunch about the game but is hesitant to pull the trigger on a full price full set. It allows them to get the feel of the game at a much lower price, and if they find it's not to their liking, they have saved money.

As someone who bought the Starter Set for exactly this reason, I'm glad AEG is giving me another option to get a board and xp tokens besides ToR, which is increasingly hard to find a good price on, and Numenara, which is not thematically to everyone's liking.

It seems like a better solution there would be to get ToR back in print.

I completely understand having multiple entry points, between ToR, Starter Set, and Numenera, this seems a bit excessive, and unfriendly to the existing fan base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:

It seems like a better solution there would be to get ToR back in print.

I wholeheartedly agree. Given the choice between another new base set, or a reprint of ToR and Worlds Collide being done as an expansion set, I'd take the reprint of ToR any day. But seeing as that doesn't seem terribly likely, I'll take another fantasy-themed base set so I can play the game with a decent mix of cards while a wait out a cheap(-ish) copy of ToR.

fizzmore wrote:

I completely understand having multiple entry points, between ToR, Starter Set, and Numenera, this seems a bit excessive, and unfriendly to the existing fan base.

While the Starter Set definitely classifies as an entry point, I wouldn't lump it in with ToR and Numenara, there's really not enough there to keep it interesting past a handful of plays. It's useful as a cheaper alternative to getting your toe wet, or as a tool for teaching new players without having to deal with all the game mechanics introduced by the various card abilities, but a compelling game play experience in the long run it is not.

While I'm posting I feel like pointing out that, previously, my opinion toward Numenara was general disinterest in the theme. After looking into the cards a bit more, I must say that I'm completely turned off by the setting and have zero interest in picking up it or any future expansions set in that world. Not that I'm saying the setting is bad - it's interesting, and I'm sure fans of the setting absolutely love it - just completely not my cup of tea. So now I'm even more thrilled at the prospect of having more fantasy-themed cards from the Worlds Collide set when it comes out. If I've already picked up ToR by that time and I have to pay $10 more for another board and more tokens that I may not use, so be it. It won't break the bank, and it's a drop in the bucket compared to what I've spent on some other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New art on the starter cards would be nice. I know for the sake of game balance they probably wouldn't want to change their text, but alternate art wouldn't hurt anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.