Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Thumbs up for those picturesque moments that you realize, "yeah I'm a geek" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
I step out the back door at my work. It's pitch black again. Another late night. The thick overcast chills the air as rain begins to gently fall. I pull up the hood of the sweatshirt I am wearing under my black leather jacket and step into the spotlight cast from a lone light pole. The rain falls heavier as I light my cigarette. In my mind I recap the issues resolved, and go through those that remain. Can't leave yet, still work to do. Before long I realize my smoke is out. I reach into my pocket to grab my lighter and hear a clatter from within. I reach in and pull out my dice bag which has been there since our groups last Pathfinder adventure. I smile. "Yeah I'm a geek."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just last week I hand-stitched a wizard's hat to serve as a trophy for our weekly Wiz-War game. I think that is sufficient to qualify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone saying about me, "He has like, a hundred games" and me secretly knowing: it's over 200 ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My backpack, which I take everywhere, is adorned with a Starfleet insignia (DS9 era), a Doctor Who button and a button that says "I knit so no one has to die". Also, a Rosie the Riveter button because hey, why not?

Inside the backpack: one book in progress, usually science fiction or fantasy; one moleskine notebook full of story notes, sketches of mermaids and dragons, game session reports and other random ephemera; a bag containing LOTR:LCG cards and tokens; one knitting project in progress, currently a Gryffindor scarf that needs to be finished by Wednesday; wallet; Altoids tin containing my knitting notions kit; a crystal of unknown type possessing no particular virtues; several crochet hooks; lots and lots of pens; and keys on a Lego minifig flashlight keychain.

I think there's a slight chance I might be a geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
The man from the power company had to come down to my basement to install a new electric meter and saw all my board games and his jaw dropped ... sometimes I wish for a way to hide my geekness; just to avoid all those stupid questions. Well, at least the man had something to tell on his lunch break meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Stemberger
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that must go everywhere:

TICHU!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading about the tie-breaker mechanism used for NFL football games. My immediate thought was, "one team should pick a yard line from which the kickoff will be made and the other team should get to decide whether they would like to kickoff or receive from that yard line."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week at work someone was describing the difference between VDE and VDI. I started humming "V-D-E, V-D-I, V-D-E, V-D-I" to the tune of "Numa Numa" and my co-worker whispered, "we're not supposed to let on that we're geeks!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
We took my friend to an arcade for his bachelor party
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every few months I go to the local Wal-Mart and browse through the fishing section looking for another perfect tackle box to store my game bits in.

I've also done the same thing at Gander Mountain. ("Can I help you?" "No, I'm just trying to figure out if this plano box will fit inside my copy of The Manhattan Project without making the lid stick up.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello Goodbye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I looked in the back seat of my Honda Accord (geekmobile) and realized it was filled with board games, frisbee golf discs, bulletins from my Catholic Church, workbooks from CPE coursework for my CPA licensesure, and campaign literature for various local Republican politicans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Gruber
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The random times I've had to point out that there are more than just 6-sided dice out there and people look at me in disbelief like I'm making it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevyn Hey
United States
Alfred
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigheyzeus wrote:

The random times I've had to point out that there are more than just 6-sided dice out there and people look at me in disbelief like I'm making it up

That's when you pull out your emergency set as proof. I carry 2 sets of the basic 7 types plus a couple extra d6's in my backpack just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
When you become known as "the game guy" and your friends and family take it for granted that you will automatically arrive bearing appropriate options for the evening's entertainment, while all other invited guests have to be told "you bring the guac, you bring dessert, you bring wine, etc."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Gruber
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aisur wrote:
bigheyzeus wrote:

That's when you pull out your emergency set as proof. I carry 2 sets of the basic 7 types plus a couple extra d6's in my backpack just in case.

Good idea. I'll have to make a tactical dice holding belt to wear for just such an occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schade
United States
West Deptford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I realized that I needed to move my collection of science fiction and fantasy books to make room for my expanding collection of games. Several of which are in the same genre and in some cases the same theme of the aforementioned books (Shadows over Camelot, Pandemic, Friday, and Memoir 44 for example).

That and I'm making board game color themed rainbow loom bracelets for my kids.

I think it's more the latter than the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the wall behind my desk at work are:

1)Three framed 8x10 photos of the various guys from Industrial Light and Magic building various props and models from Star Wars

2)An 8x10 framed picture of Kay Freeborn and her Catina aliens from Star Wars

3)An 8x10 framed picture of 2nd Unit Director, Robert Watts, on location in Norway for filming of Return of the Jedi (including a Wampa hand).

3)A framed Darth Vader print by McKendrick

4)The first issue of The Star Wars comic by Dark Horse

5)A framed"Gilly Buck" repro dollar signed by the original Creature from the Black Lagoon actor Ben Chapman.

I think that qualifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone here seems pretty normal. I guess that qualifies me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McGlone
United States
Chillicothe
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Bring Back The Big Red Machine!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a delivery of boardgames yesterday (The Magic Labyrinth, Escape: The Curse of the Temple, and A la Carte expansion). Being Christmas presents for the kids my wife quickly hid them in our closet. After looking for them myself I finally had to ask where exactly she put them. She answered, "Behind your comic book boxes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I was reading about the tie-breaker mechanism used for NFL football games. My immediate thought was, "one team should pick a yard line from which the kickoff will be made and the other team should get to decide whether they would like to kickoff or receive from that yard line."

Unfortunately, that would never happen due to the bullshit "player safety" rules they have in place. Apparently the league likes its touchbacks. I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Becker

Nashville
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my group's bachelor parties, we hit the local LaserTag place. It's the one time they'll allow the name DeadManWalking, which we pass along from groom to groom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[url]

Clones with Filoni by Spiritjuggler, on Flickr[/url]

I'm the one next to Dave Filoni on the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb

Probably makes me a geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

Probably makes me a geek.

Ah love that guy in blue...

IK+ ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
bigheyzeus wrote:

Something like this has happened to me. I was playing Balderdash and my definition for a word was, "a kind of die having four sides". One of my opponents said, "that can't be, dice always have 6 sides." I couldn't let it go at that so I said, "Sure there are, I've seen them. They are shaped like a pryamid." It didn't take long for most of them to figure out what my answer was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.