Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book says: “Dream cards are discarded immediately after the card instructions are followed.” There is a Dream card which reads: “If a Curse is revealed during this Book, it ignores you completely.” Since curses are revealed and carried out during action 1 and Dream cards are played and discarded during action 6 (and possibly 5), how can this Dream work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played with that card and just kept it out for the whole Book, since that's what it sounds like its saying to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dyskami Publishing
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the card, follow the instructions, and discard it as normal. Once it is played, no Curse can affect you for the rest of the Book. Since this will be, at most, two extra rounds (if played during Action 6 of the first Story of Book 2 -- round 4 -- for example) it won't be difficult to remember even with the card in the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did however, have a specific question related to this card. My fiance and I were playing a two player game and he had this card and we revealed a curse.

The curse stated that the player with the most honor lost a magic and a love (I think). Since the card said the curse "ignores you completely," we took that to mean that he isn't even considered by the curse (as opposed to the dream saying "ignore the effects" in which case, since he'd had more honor than me, the curse would apply to him but nothing would happen and the card would be discarded).

So the curse went to me. But we were a little unsure as how to play it. Since he was ignored completely and it was a two player game, that made me the only player under consideration for the curse. At which point, it seemed a little strange to say I had the "most" honor since there was no other player for the curse to consider. How could I have the "most" if I'm the only one?

Additionally, I had no honor at all. Which also seemed strange to say I had the "most" when in fact I had the least possible amount I could have. Can you have the "most" when you in fact have nothing?

We went ahead and played the curse as it affecting me and I lost the magic and the love. But if anyone else could weigh in and give their two cents, that would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dyskami Publishing
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Your interpretation of "ignores you completely" is indeed correct. It's as if that player does not exist in the game for the purpose of the Curse. Consequently, in a two-player game, all Curses would bypass the protected player and affect only the opponent (ie. you). Even if "most" equals zero.

Of course, we certainly encourage you to taylor the game to best fit your group. Perhaps you remove that Dream card from play in a two-player game. Or maybe you keep it in, but agree that "most" has to be greater than zero.

As long as all players agree in advance, there's no problem. But playing the rule exactly as it stands, your interpretation was indeed correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good to know! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We came up with another question with that card.

The curse "the hand of fate is not dealt this story" appeared. One player argued that since the curse ignores him, he should still get his hand. Eventually, we ruled that since the curse is effecting the story and not any player, then no one gets the hand of fate.

Just wanted to confirm that we played that correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dyskami Publishing
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. The Curse does indeed ignore the player, but since the Curse isn't about the player (it's about the game, as you observed) then the Curse card is played as normal and the Hand of Fate is not dealt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.