Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play 2 player, one character each. We made it past Cthulhu, Nyarlothotep and one of the others (no offense to the Great Old Ones). But Hastur.. Hastur.. Hastur!!

We've lost 2 games in a row now, the closest we came was having 9 elder signs. Monsters are everywhere, locked dice, terror results. We can't do the other worlds without helping out He Who Should Not Be Named, nothing! He whittles us down, and then slaughters us every time!

So far, he's killed Ashcan Pete, Bob Jenkins, Dexter Drake, Darrell Simmons, Joe Diamond, even poor old Harvey Walters! Is there no stopping this blasphemous source of evil?

Okay, it was a bit tongue in cheek, since the standard complaint is that the game is too easy. But yes, sadly, we've been trounced twice by Hastur, with luck being very bad against us. And this is just playing with the base game. Boy, can't wait to finish beating all the initial GOO's so we can try the ones in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalvash Skysword
Brazil
flag msg tools
play with 2 investigators each,try it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played solo with a single Investigator and won quite often. The strategy that I use is to prepare. By which I mean that the first few turns are spent grabbing Clues and things that give me extra dice then I switch to grabbing Elder Signs until my resources get low and I start grabbing "gear" again. In a solo game, your Investigator's ability can be very valuable because it can trigger so often, so with two Investigators this should be true too. Make sure that you get best use of your Investigator power.

Of course, when the Mythos starts influencing your dice you are screwed regardless. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khaoldrakul wrote:
play with 2 investigators each,try it

While does works in many games, in terms of balance or making it less difficult, in ES, less is more in my experience. 1-investigator games are the easiest (every goodie piles on one chararacter), 2-investigator games aren't as easy, but still easy enough. With more, if you have one really good investigator, he gets to go once per day, compared to 4 goes per day in a single investigator game, allowing him to get max use out of his ability (as long as not limited to once per day by the text of the ability).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hastur is the hardest AO in the base game, you're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your only source of Elder Signs in the game happens to be Other Worlds, then yea, you will go down fast against Hastur.

We lost hard today against him. Haven't even bothered with Final Battle. There were 6 monsters in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.