Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Andy

I think that's a great question that I have no real answer to!

I will, however, bring up a game that seems to be very mean and yet plays very well with the wife and I, pretty carebearish folk: Argent: the Consortium.

In that game, you can blow people up, move their workers, take away spells, and generally mess with people's plans until the bell rings. Part of why, in that game, I don't feel so sour is that everything comes with a price. You blow up my guy? Maybe it pushes me to the lead on gold or mana. Also, I can heal my guys back up and now you wasted a turn. Or it was a bluff and now I can get to the spot I really wanted to get to.

The key here was that although there are disruptive elements, they aren't really destructive. That may be the key: finding the line between forcing a players hand and allowing enough options to still maneuver around. If I feel I have to destroy something to win, I'd rather just play another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
So the question of "needlessly" remains - how would this particular game be changed to be less (apparently) mean whilst (probably) retaining the feel and quality?

The original 7 Wonders didn't include players stealing money from each other, or destroying each others cards. These were needless (IMO) additions to the game experience that make it overall feel very different indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nilsson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

Concordia

???
Was this pre or post Salsa? Or just too mean for you guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Insano wrote:
rahdo wrote:

Concordia

???
Was this pre or post Salsa? Or just too mean for you guys?

I talked about it in the original final thoughts I did for the game, as well as the final thoughts for the UK map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacobus Erwee
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rahdo, i see Concordia is on this list but your also recently added it to your top ten list of most elegant games. Has your opinion on this game changed? I also believe I watched your review of this some time ago and it was one of the games you and Jen disagreed on and you were very surprised she did not enjoy this game? It seems evident that you enjoy Concordia so surely it should not be part of this list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacobus Erwee
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also see now that the post just before mine you kinda address a similar question.blush But still putting it on a top ten most elegant games list surely it cannot be suitable for this list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KotieRW wrote:
I also see now that the post just before mine you kinda address a similar question.blush But still putting it on a top ten most elegant games list surely it cannot be suitable for this list.

if you go back and watch the original final thoughts vid i did for concordia (and the subsequent one i did for concordia britain map), all will become clear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.