8 Posts

The Resistance: Avalon» Forums » Variants

Subject: Common Mafia Roles converted to Avalon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Luring Ias
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hello. Me and my friends have thought about adding named characters to the game that are based on roles from the party game known as Mafia. Primarily to get some variation, but also because named characters are allways cool. cool

So this is what we got so far:

Agravain - The Traitor (replaces a minion of Mordred)
Half brother of Mordred who does evil deeds, but also considerable heroics.

He is a servant of Arthur, but he only wins if the minions of Mordred wins.

Prince Claudin - Twin A (replaces a servant of Arthur)
French prince whose father is a sworn enemy of Arthurs, but who wants nothing to do with his fathers plans.

Prince Claudin knows the identity of his father, King Claudas.

King Claudas - Twin B (replaces a minion of Mordred)
French King who is a sworn enemy of Arthurs. His son, however, wants nothing to to with his evil plans.

King Claudas knows the identity of his son, Prince Claudin.

Dagonet -The Hermit
A foolish knight who brags about his courage despite the fact that he runs at any sign of hostilities.

He is a servant of Arthur, but appears as a minion of Mordred to Merlin

We are also pondering on a four player variant with Merlin, The Assasin, Dagonet and Agravain. All missions has 3 participants. Merlin known who Agravain is (due to both the assasin and Dagonet raising their thumb). No one else has any information about the others. The assassin still has a 1/3 chance to nail Merlin, and all the other three benifit from claiming that they are Agravain.
Could work. Needs playtesting

Any constructive critisism is welcome, as are other comments or thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haffelaffe272 wrote:
Agravain (The Traitor)

First thought: At the beginning of the game spies state their affinity and they + Agravain throw objections for all the mission proposals. Spies win before 1st mission in 5p,6p,7p,8p,10p. This would need something more, e.g. Agravain wins only when spies get 3 failed missions. Or he must object to squads he is in, etc.

Quote:
Prince Claudin (The Infiltrator)
French prince whose father is a sworn enemy of Arthurs, but who wants nothing to do with his fathers plans.

He is a minion of Mordred, but he only wins if the servants of Arthur wins.

Again, he knows the other spy, he can play successes like a servant of Arthur meaning that e.g. 5p game will consist of 4 servants and 1 minion - that's weak (even Agravain stands no chance here...).

Quote:
We are also pondering on a four player variant with Merlin, The Assasin, Dagonet and Agravain. All missions has 3 participants. Merlin known who Agravain is (due to both the assasin and Dagonet raising their thumb). No one else has any information about the others. The assassin still has a 1/3 chance to nail Merlin, and all the other three benifit from claiming that they are Agravain.
Could work. Needs playtesting

This, on the other hand, sounds really good. Although could be broken by majority of objections being 2 vs 2 approvals.

Worth subscribing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few thoughts from me after thinking about how I would play each character.

haffelaffe272 wrote:
Agravain (The Traitor)

So I'd essentially be a bad guy that can't fail missions. I would vote suspiciously in order to not be taken on missions and make accusations against people that I thought were good. I'd say this role is a good helper for the bad team.

haffelaffe272 wrote:
Prince Claudin (The Infiltrator)

He is a minion of Mordred, but he only wins if the servants of Arthur wins.

I'm not sure what is stopping me from outing myself and all the other spies. Sure, more than one person could make this play, pretending to be this character but I can't see it paying off. Once a single fail turns up on a mission then you know who to believe. I'd say this role is a huge help to the good team.

haffelaffe272 wrote:
Dagonet (The Hermit)
A foolish knight who brags about his courage despite the fact that he runs at any sign of hostilities.

He is a servant of Arthur, but appears as a minion of Mordred to Merlin

I'm not sure how I can play any differently than being a normal servant of Arthur. Merlin probably won't let me on missions, but this also reduces how helpful Merlin can be. I feel like this character has no extra knowledge and confuses Merlin. This gives a slight lean to the bad side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
These don't really make much sense.

Agravin is evil, but he doesn't appear to Merlin and can't throw failures. He should be added to the game as an evil character, lest the evil team auto win by rejecting every vote.

Claudin and Dagonet are functionally identical. Both are good guys who appear evil to Merlin.

You're putting characters on opposite teams randomly for no good reason. Changing the color of the card doesn't suddenly make it interesting or compelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do playtest these, be sure to remind players to claim their roles immediately. You'll see how this pretty much breaks the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Luring Ias
Sweden
flag msg tools
dannte wrote:

First thought: At the beginning of the game spies state their affinity and they + Agravain throw objections for all the mission proposals. Spies win before 1st mission in 5p,6p,7p,8p,10p. This would need something more, e.g. Agravain wins only when spies get 3 failed missions. Or he must object to squads he is in, etc.

Good point. I guess he should be the replacement for a minon instead of a servant, as Asmor said? As he still counts as a servant, he may not throw failures and merlin does not know him. Perhaps his role in the minion team would be to try to give misions to minions as often as he could…
dannte wrote:

Again, he knows the other spy, he can play successes like a servant of Arthur meaning that e.g. 5p game will consist of 4 servants and 1 minion - that's weak (even Agravain stands no chance here...).

Maybe do the corresponding thing with this guy, as a replacement for a servant? Although as mentioned by Krawhitham there may be no point in hiding your identity when you know all the other minions…there needs to be something that avoids this.
dannte wrote:

This, on the other hand, sounds really good. Although could be broken by majority of objections being 2 vs 2 approvals.

Worth subscribing

Thanks a lot! You are rigth about the voting though…as long as Agravain votes down any party including him and the assassin votes down any party not including her, there will allways be two votes against unless the assassin is in the party. Maybe there should allways be just 2 people on the mission, to make Agravain less certain that the Asssassin is on the mission. (I should also add that we play with the house rule that whoever proposes the party has to vote yes...seems to only make sense).
This is still in the experimental stage, so no suggestions are off the table!

Krawhitham wrote:
So I'd essentially be a bad guy that can't fail missions. I would vote suspiciously in order to not be taken on missions and make accusations against people that I thought were good. I'd say this role is a good helper for the bad team.

That was our intention with Agravain yes

Krawhitham wrote:

I'm not sure how I can play any differently than being a normal servant of Arthur. Merlin probably won't let me on missions, but this also reduces how helpful Merlin can be. I feel like this character has no extra knowledge and confuses Merlin. This gives a slight lean to the bad side.

Again, this was our intention. Its nice to see someone having the same process of thougth as us cool

Asmor wrote:
These don't really make much sense.

Agravin is evil, but he doesn't appear to Merlin and can't throw failures. He should be added to the game as an evil character, lest the evil team auto win by rejecting every vote.

Claudin and Dagonet are functionally identical. Both are good guys who appear evil to Merlin.

You're putting characters on opposite teams randomly for no good reason. Changing the color of the card doesn't suddenly make it interesting or compelling.

Thank you for commenting. I agree that Agravain should be a replacement for a minion. That only makes sense.

I would not say that Claudin and Dagonet are functionally identical though…Dagonet does not know who the minions are, and Claudin is seen as a minion by the other minions. As Krawhitham mentioned above, this alone is too strong for Claudin and an incentive to stay hidden should be added.

As for randomly putting characters on opposite teams for no good reason…I would say that it is not random, since we have converted roles from the game Mafia. This might not be an apt strategy though, since the mafia can get rid of infiltrators in that game, which there are no function for in Avalon. I would also say that ”no good reason” is very subjective, and our ”good reason” was to try to convert roles from a game we like to this game that we also like. Also, as I said, we like the Artur myth and would like to add more named characters…another ”good reason” to at least try, we feel…

clydeiii wrote:
If you do playtest these, be sure to remind players to claim their roles immediately. You'll see how this pretty much breaks the game.

Good advice. We will make sure to do so.

Thanx so much for commenting everyone, this will really help us out a lot!
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Luring Ias
Sweden
flag msg tools
I edited the first post to completely change the role of Prince Claudin after the feedback recieved above.
(Old role: The traitor - evil player that wins only if good wins)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Luring Ias
Sweden
flag msg tools
We have now playtested the four player variant with Dagonet and Agravain, and it didn't really work well (yes, I'm surprised too! ). However, we quickly found some fixes:

A) We used the normal 5-player quest board with 2-3-2-3-3 quest participants.

B) Agravain HAS yo vote Approve if he is in the quest party. Otherwise, he and the assassin can just downvote all parties until team mordred wins.

We felt that this variant had the same feel as a normal game, which is what we aimed for...however, the person who recieves Agravain as their role might have a little too few decicions to make, since he has to approve teams he is in and always play a success card. Also, it seemed to be a little in the favor of the minions, which might make it necessary to change the quest participant count to 2-2-3-2-3.

Other than that, comments like "There is no way she is Merlin." and "I was sure you were Dagonet!" allowed us to have basically the same experience with four players as a normal game. Pretty cool cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.