Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenny Sayward
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering whether the player who starts the game with the Queen gets too much advantage, with free VP for several rounds. That player already starts with the most money because of turn order. Awarding the Queen immediately looked unfair to the other players. In the two games I've played so far, this player won, too. I'm sure there was more to it, but it gave an appearance of a big advantage early on.

If another player immediately builds a palace (oops - converts the initial castle into a palace), that could rebalance the early game, but it would also speed it up & leave players unready for the first Masquerade Ball. Not fun.

I'm thinking of leaving the Queen alone in the middle until someone actually earns her favor.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gameteacher wrote:
I'm wondering whether the player who starts the game with the Queen gets too much advantage, with free VP for several rounds. That player already starts with the most money because of turn order. Awarding the Queen immediately looked unfair to the other players. In the two games I've played so far, this player won, too. I'm sure there was more to it, but it gave an appearance of a big advantage early on.

If another player immediately builds a palace (oops - converts the initial castle into a palace), that could rebalance the early game, but it would also speed it up & leave players unready for the first Masquerade Ball. Not fun.

I'm thinking of leaving the Queen alone in the middle until someone actually earns her favor.

What do you think?

I think this has not shown to be an issue in any of the games I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenny -

The person going last has disadvantages too. The game is a bunch of little races going on. If the other players start buying stuff then they will have to pay more. Other players have a jump on going after Follies and so on.

There are other ways to get the queen, as soon as someone builds a Garden or plays a Whitehall scandal card the queen will move.

Racing for the best noble titles and moving the queen is a big part of the game. I encourage you to try it as written and remember that moving the queen at key moments is a main strategy. Speeding up the game when your opponents are not ready is a tactic.

Also I created what I am calling family rules:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85238/family-rules

They give a bit more time per decade for more strategy. Allowing players to develop their plans more.

Please let us know how your future games go.

- Dwight

PS - Have a Happy Holiday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.