Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
This is the game that made me start looking at miniatures games. The core rules will feel very similar to fans of Blue Max and Ace of Aces.

The core idea is that you can perform one very simple maneuver each phase, AND decide if you wish to fire on that phase. The evil part is that all of the players plan out their maneuvers three moves at a time.

The feel is therefore somewhat of a chaotic randomness. The first phase of a turn, you can plan carefully, while the last of the three phases, often the best hope is to either avoid being in the middle or aim for the biggest concentration of planes.

This abstract movement provides a decent feel for the subject, although the planes are not as different in mobility as Blue Max. For the most part, planes maneuver very similarly, the difference is in guns and damage points.

There are also some nice chrome rules for critical damage, clouds, observers, observation balloons, spins, as well as campaign rules.

The rules themselves are $10, and easily worth every penny. Raving psychotics can of course purchase lots and lots of the sorts of stuff you find in the database pics. Everything is done to 1/72 scale, so plastic biplane models (As well as the excellent paper models at www.fiddlersgreen.net) can be added to build your own kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So THIS is what they are always playing at GenCon

I wondered what the heck that was

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little surprise not to find anyone mentioning the game "Sopwith," which clearly "fathered" this game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2105

I ran into "Advanced Sopwith" (as it was called then) at a con about 20 years ago, with people using
1/72nd models and very nice wooden control boards-- they gave the rules away (they had added altitude and a little more plane variance, since in the base game, all the planes were alike) and were trying to make their money selling the control boards.

Interesting how things evolve...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
I'm a little surprise not to find anyone mentioning the game "Sopwith," which clearly "fathered" this game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2105

I ran into "Advanced Sopwith" (as it was called then) at a con about 20 years ago, with people using
1/72nd models and very nice wooden control boards-- they gave the rules away (they had added altitude and a little more plane variance, since in the base game, all the planes were alike) and were trying to make their money selling the control boards.

Interesting how things evolve...

Yes, the evolution of the miniatures game may have been advanced from Sopwith, however, even before that there was Richtofen's War, from Avalon Hill.

If you read through that set of rules, you'll see the genesis of what begat Sopwith, which begat Aerodrome...

The history is longer than you originally thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.