George Duff
Canada
Meaford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found another mystifying situation in the ORBAT:

The German Division seems to be missing four companies of combat engineers.

There's one company per brigade, which fits with my research - but it is missing the pionierbatallion attached to division.

If you had a look at my variant unit counters (in the files section), you'll notice I added in a number of different subunits for both WP and NATO formations.

I am hoping players might be able to shed some light on these cases? Is it deliberate in the design, or is it an error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beats me, but it might be one of those instances when divisional assets are considered to be factored into subordinate units, but that does not usually happen if other engineering units are shown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Castillo
msg tools
My guess is the Orbat is limited to those units that can deploy within the scenario time frames.

You'll note 12th Panzer's third brigade - the 14th - is also missing. This unit's peacetime deployment was near Koblenz.

The 12th Pioneers were likewise positioned further west, I believe around Mannheim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Swi.
Germany
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The third Brigade of the German 12. Panzerdivision in the early 80's was Panzerbrigade 34 (not 14, the brigade had this number in an earlier army structure until 1981, but not as part of 12. PzDiv), indeed all its units were stationed at Koblenz. For further information look at:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/4/4f/HStruk-IV_Fel...

In the German Army structure (as in most NATO countries) the operational level was the brigade, not the division. Divisional troops were variably assigned to the brigades for special tasks.
Also it wouldn't be unusual to see a brigade detached to another combat theatre, and not having all divisional troops of the 12. PzDiv on the ORBAT of the Meinigen Gap combat theatre.

About your question regarding the Pioniere:
Each German Panzerbrigade and Panzergrenadierbrigade had one Combat Engineer company (Panzerpionierkompanie; as depicted in the game), and each Panzerdivision and Panzergrenadierdivision fielded one Engineer battalion (in our case Pionierbataillon 12, consisting of 1 HQ company, 3 Engineer companies and 1 Bridge Engineer company).

As the Panzerbrigade 34 is also missing in ORBAT, we can presume that Pionierbataillon 12 is possibly supporting that brigade and other formations by improving positions along the Rhine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.