Popular Tags: Andorians [+] [View All]
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Andorians that's who!

Since we seem to be getting some 22nd Century Vulcan ships, I thought it would be nice to have something to pit against them.

I'm doing more of these as I have some shapeways Andorian Battlecruisers so if you'd like to see them here just let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously questioning that action. Is that you may re-roll your attack dice this turn, but keep the second results, or you must re-roll your attack dice, making the ability pointless if not get in the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to me it looks like the reroll is a may, but if you chose to do it, you Must reroll all of the dice. Meaning that you can opt not to reroll, but if you chose to reroll, you can't chose to keep a hit or two that you might have rolled on the first one as you can with other things that allow you to reroll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue is with it being an action.
You would have to plan to maybe have to re-roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get a bad Attack Dice roll the action allows you to re-roll it.

However, if you do so you have to re-roll all the dice (i.e. not just the misses) and you cannot re-roll them again through some other means.

(as Ender02 said)

I suppose I could change the wording though to keep it consistent with others like this though.

I don't see the problem with it being an action, yes you may end up not needing it but it's no different from the Counter Attack card being an Action that may not be used.

Basically, if you target lock someone in one turn you can save it to fire photons next turn having taken the Kumari's Action to allow you re-rolls on Secondary Weapons that require a target lock to be spent when they are fired.

I think it has some use but isn't wildly over-powered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Generic Battlecruiser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the big thing even with the wording corrected. It's just the IKS Goroth with and action to use base box worf's ability and a scan instead of a battle stations. (Not sure how much the extra crew slot over the weapon slot matters though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really designed to be run against the current factions as they stand.

I'm really only considering era specific ships.

So:

Romulans: 22nd C Bird of Prey, Drone Ship

Klingons: Raptor, 22nd C Bird of Prey

United Earth: NX class, Early Intrepid class, Warp Delta class

Vulcan: D'Kyr class, Surak class, Vahklass class

Andorian: Kumari class

plus Tellerites, Suliban and Xindi

I didn't actually base it on the Gr'oth its just a coincidence that they have the same stats but then they're not the only ships that do (the Krayton and Enterprise come to mind).

One other difference is that the Kumari class had weapons that could fire port and starboard as well as forward so I would give it a 180 arc and I'm unsure of the movement yet. They'll probably have to be tweaked once the NX and Vulcan ships come out anyway (for example the Kumari had an equivalent strength of weapons with a D'Kyr).

I want to do a 22nd supplement in the end along with a few others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose part of the problem is that I'm not too familiar with Star trek: enterprise, though I know TOS a lot better.

So I think someone had something on the Enterprise from that era being in like wave 7 or something, the somraw from the klingons of that time are wave 3, we have the Praetus, and so on.

As far as the ships go from looking at the base stats so far, they actually tried putting eras as a thing without being crippling, so the TOS enterprise can help fight the Dominion, even if it's at a slight disadvantage. The big thing I see making these ships are the upgrades, Cause the praetus on its own isn't too much of a threat, but is on par with the somraw stats we know, and had massive use for having great upgrades like polarized hull and cloaked mines.

As for balancing it for era:

Praetus:
2 attack, 2 agility, 3 hull, 0 shields
Can cloak without shields but rolls an attack die to take a hit on a battle station's result.
Evade, target lock, cloak, sensor echo
Somraw:
3 Attack, 1 agility, 3 hull, 2 shields
Each time it defends, you my convert up to 2 battle stations results to evades. (I have a feeling klingons will get a crazy defensive buff other then cloaking.)
Evade, Target lock, scan

So given that's the about where its competition, I'd say that stats are about right, though I'd take preference to a slightly more useful ability, like re-rolling a die when attacking at ranged 1, cause I'd probably use that more.

Though the big thing that seems to define each of these ships if likely the upgrades, which with just the Praetus have gone into all the fleets, and I suspect the klingons might have something similar though different. So it really needs a captain, some crew, some weapons, and a tech to really define how it's supposed to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're on the drawing board.

I was tempted to give the main captain "Shran" exactly the same skill as Weyoun since they're played by the same actor..but we shall see.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First up:

Captain Shran

Yes, it is very like Gul Dukat but I'll be doing similar for other home made upgrades for the pre-federation era that I make.

I think it prevents a lot of worry as to whether they are too powerful and as I am planning them to be used for Era specific play duplication of existing abilities is not a major concern (at least to me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lieutenant Talas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A token for Shran:

And a couple more Captains:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
It's not really designed to be run against the current factions as they stand.

I'm really only considering era specific ships.

So:

Romulans: 22nd C Bird of Prey, Drone Ship

Klingons: Raptor, 22nd C Bird of Prey

United Earth: NX class, Early Intrepid class, Warp Delta class

Vulcan: D'Kyr class, Surak class, Vahklass class

Andorian: Kumari class

plus Tellerites, Suliban and Xindi

I didn't actually base it on the Gr'oth its just a coincidence that they have the same stats but then they're not the only ships that do (the Krayton and Enterprise come to mind).

One other difference is that the Kumari class had weapons that could fire port and starboard as well as forward so I would give it a 180 arc and I'm unsure of the movement yet. They'll probably have to be tweaked once the NX and Vulcan ships come out anyway (for example the Kumari had an equivalent strength of weapons with a D'Kyr).

I want to do a 22nd supplement in the end along with a few others.

There's also the Klingon D5 from that series that would be fun to see as well.

I found this offered on Shapeways:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/159261/kumari-type-3900.html?...

Can't personally vouch for it, but it looks like it's about the right size.

The same vender also has a D5 (though this one looks a little small at under 2 inches):

http://www.shapeways.com/model/219197/ntk-d5-heavy-cruiser-1...=

Just thought I would pass it along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.