Mount Carmel
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soda Pop announced the release of King Starfire and Captain R in their store:
http://sodapopminiatures.com/news/dragonpirate.html

Captain R is currently $12.95
This fully assembled plastic mini-boss comes with unique Black Spot treasure card.
http://sodapopminiatures.com/super-dungeon-explore/special-e...

King Stairfire is currently $59.95
This special edition resin model comes complete with a new profile card, adventure effect, and treasure card. Assembly Required.
http://sodapopminiatures.com/super-dungeon-explore/special-e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think this is the point where I declare myself out

Up to this point I have been a completionist, where it comes to this game. I have every expansion and promo so far, and the kickstarter promos on their way. The only thing really driving my purchases at this point is the joy of having the full collection. If anything is going to cure me of that particular addiction, it's a 60-buck miniature!

So, if I'm not going to have everything any more, there's no real need to invest in other promos and expansions - I already have a ton of the stuff!

These look like nice models, but I think I'm done! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've skipped the minis boxes so far, but I've got all the promos and such so I'm in for Captain R, but King Starfire is asking a bit much so I think I'll pass. His cards should be offered for those who want them to use with the normal mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Chondrogiannis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is available online at http://sodapopminiatures.com/super-dungeon-explore/king-star....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniels
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have ordered the captain, can't justify the cost for the dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
King Starfire doesn't look too overpriced, considering he is a resin model. That said, $60 is a large chunk of change. I'll have to hold off on him for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:
Well, I think this is the point where I declare myself out

Up to this point I have been a completionist, where it comes to this game. I have every expansion and promo so far, and the kickstarter promos on their way. The only thing really driving my purchases at this point is the joy of having the full collection. If anything is going to cure me of that particular addiction, it's a 60-buck miniature!

So, if I'm not going to have everything any more, there's no real need to invest in other promos and expansions - I already have a ton of the stuff!

These look like nice models, but I think I'm done! arrrh

I've been a pretty hardcore supporter of the game myself and yet I think I agree with you, simply too much needed invested to keep up. I'm a little peeved too that they essentially re-released Starfire rather than release a new boss for one of the many zones that the game has yet to cover. I'll give the developers credit for understanding Starfire needed tweaking, but all that was needed was a new stat card, not a new model. In addition, a lot of the new stuff I've seen previewed recently doesn't bode well for the games overall balance, which has been precarious at best for a while now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
60 for this miniature? are they out of their minds?

pass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
I'll give the developers credit for understanding Starfire needed tweaking, but all that was needed was a new stat card, not a new model.

I think that's what bugged me the most, a more expensive version of a mini we already own just to do a rebalanced stat card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$60 for a miniature that size and quality in resin, is actually great value. I won't be buying it though as I don't think it's necessary. I'll just use the current miniature with the new rules. Loving Captain R though. Shame the shipping is $13 to the UK though, it's only $8 with CMON. But I wanted to make sure I got one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
MCollier wrote:
Kirenx wrote:
I'll give the developers credit for understanding Starfire needed tweaking, but all that was needed was a new stat card, not a new model.

I think that's what bugged me the most, a more expensive version of a mini we already own just to do a rebalanced stat card

Eh, the stat card is right there on the page. It's pretty easy to use the old mini with these new rules.

Captain R is a LOT more interesting than King Starfire mind you.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of players simply print off the card rather than get a new model that costs more alone that entire expansions.

Captain R is an interesting model. Again though, his distribution has me backing away from the purchase. I've bought everything SDE so far, including promo heroes and mini-bosses, and the individual figures are just getting too expensive. With games like this, I like to own as much as I can, but it would be a lot more attractive if everything was just included in set expansions and they did away with so many promo figures that add up, especially with shipping, to far less value for what you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
Styfen wrote:
MCollier wrote:
Kirenx wrote:

Eh, the stat card is right there on the page. It's pretty easy to use the old mini with these new rules.

Captain R is a LOT more interesting than King Starfire mind you.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of players simply print off the card rather than get a new model that costs more alone that entire expansions.

Captain R is an interesting model. Again though, his distribution has me backing away from the purchase. I've bought everything SDE so far, including promo heroes and mini-bosses, and the individual figures are just getting too expensive. With games like this, I like to own as much as I can, but it would be a lot more attractive if everything was just included in set expansions and they did away with so many promo figures that add up, especially with shipping, to far less value for what you get.

They are quite expensive, especially when compared with the value of the rest of the sets. But I doesn't bother me too much because of how good value the other sets are. If you average out the total spend per miniature then it still works out very good (and that's without factoring in the enjoyment you can get out of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get the king.
In a $25ish plastic version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:

I'd argue that at the price King Starfire is, he should have come with a small book that contained a little campaign. Just some preset scenarios with objectives that tell the story of Starfire getting the Horn (HAH!) and his defeat afterwards.

I think at this point in SDE's lifecycle we need a deepening of mechanics and campaign potential the way Descent did rather than more miniatures. Shrug.

You hit the nail on the head here about new mechanics, although I've never been able to figure how a campaign could work without dramatically changing SDE from the ground up. I've really enjoyed SDE to date, but I think the value of new releases is also starting to wane simply because ultimately they are more of the same with slight variations. At the least, new bosses could have had unique objectives on their adventure cards that would had altered the goals of a particular play. That would give the feel of scenarios without the fiddly nature of setting up looking at a book. Really though, SOMETHING has to change, otherwise new releases will appeal to collectors, but alienate those that actually buy to expand the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a complete sucker for dragons and all things SDE, and Captain R is awesome-arrrr, so I am poorer today...

$60 is quite pricey, but it is a resin figure.

- HZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
Union
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having paid more for miniatures, I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that the dragon is not overpriced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MEdwards777 wrote:
Having paid more for miniatures, I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that the dragon is not overpriced.

I'm a long time (and currect) Games Workshop player so I'm with you in not thinking it's overpriced!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MEdwards777 wrote:

It likely does depend on the mindset of buying it as a miniature versus buying it as an expansion to the game. For what it adds to the game mechanic-wise, the price seems pretty high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
MEdwards777 wrote:

It likely does depend on the mindset of buying it as a miniature versus buying it as an expansion to the game. For what it adds to the game mechanic-wise, the price seems pretty high.

Yes, exactly. I don't think the miniature is overpriced compared to other minis, but I didn't start out on collecting this game with such expensive minis in mind. I also know I am able to ignore this mini if I so wish, and just buy cheaper figures. Until this release, I was quite happy to buy everything released for the game, but this figure has changed that. And if I'm not going to have the complete collection, I'll be a lot pickier about what other items I pick up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just glad there's a stronger version of Starfire. Already printed the new cards out. The iconic dragon boss should be a bad-ass. Don't need the mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
King Starfire is out of stock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure they'll be casting more so wouldn't be too concerned.

On a related note my Captain R is in the UK.....somewhere! Apparently it's been here for two days so fingers crossed I get it soon. Of all the released mini-bosses so far its my favourite miniature for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bennett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Ordered my 2 Captain R figures so...completion itch scratched for now. I'm pretty excited to get this bad boy painted!

I'm with fen, King Starfire is a great mini and all but wow...that's the price of the next expansion plus a mini (at cool stuff) so...maybe I might skip it too.

But most likely when they make more I'll find a way. I am in this game for the minis after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Captain R and King Starfire were waiting for me when I arrived home from vacation.

King Starfire is a pretty big model. MUCH larger than the original Starfire. Came in a very modest plain red box with three individual parts bags - one with the wings sprue, one with the body, and one with the limbs/head sprue. Plus another baggie with the cards and large model base. All packed with fluffy beanies. Casting is very neat with very little flash, and some fluff from the mould. Cleanup should be quick.

I'll try to get some pictures up...

- J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philbuni wrote:
I'm with fen, King Starfire is a great mini and all but wow...that's the price of the next expansion

I'm on the fence for King Starfire. For the same $60, I kind of want to get a full expansion with 3 Heroes and 3 spawns.

At $ 60, Starfire is just too much of a price jump for most people. Had it been priced at $ 39.95 MSRP to split the difference between the $ 12.95 mini-bosses and $ 59.95 full expansion sets, it would have been much easier for people to purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.