Ryan Raines
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a simple random scenario generator (computer program) for Conflict of Heroes Price of Honour. Basically the program will use the point system established in the uploads section to generate even teams for a potential firefight. Is anyone out there interested in this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of us are interested, though I'd love to see it encompass all of the series including AotB and SoS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Walis
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An excellent idea. Please cover the entire series of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Möller
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Very interested, I have updated the point costs because the units from AotB first Edition and some of Poland/Kursk were changed, if you're interested drop me a line & i will send it to you. I also included points for all AotB weapon cards, obstacles & fortifications.

all the best
heiko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Mattray
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point system? Can someone (in minor detail) explain this to me? Sounds like a great idea though!!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Raines
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heikman wrote:

Very interested, I have updated the point costs because the units from AotB first Edition and some of Poland/Kursk were changed, if you're interested drop me a line & i will send it to you. I also included points for all AotB weapon cards, obstacles & fortifications.

Sweet! Could you please upload this or send it to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Raines
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
14cross wrote:
I think a lot of us are interested, though I'd love to see it encompass all of the series including AotB and SoS.

Version 1 of the program will cover all the POH units. Then I will work with the community to add in the rest of the series and new features. I don't want to spend too much time on it before releasing something in case it is not in line with what people really want to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Raines
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay! Version 0.1 of the program is complete and uploaded to the files section. I've never uploaded a file before so I'm assuming it needs to be approved... hopefully it will show up soon... whistle66
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Raines
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
Point system? Can someone (in minor detail) explain this to me? Sounds like a great idea though!!

Jim

Hey Jim,
By point system we mean that each unit in the game system is assigned a point value based on how good it is on a scale of say 1 to 500. For example, a tank may be worth 80, but a machine gun squad worth only 20. The points a unit is assigned takes into account (and adds up?) its defense value, its attack value, its movement value, etc.

Players decide how many points they wish to play at, they then create multiple armies that add up to the same number of points. The armies should then be diverse yet "even" in point value to simulate a balanced firefight.

Make sense?

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReenoTheRhino wrote:
JimM wrote:

Jim

Hey Jim,
By point system we mean that each unit in the game system is assigned a point value based on how good it is on a scale of say 1 to 500. For example, a tank may be worth 80, but a machine gun squad worth only 20. The points a unit is assigned takes into account (and adds up?) its defense value, its attack value, its movement value, etc.

Players decide how many points they wish to play at, they then create multiple armies that add up to the same number of points. The armies should then be diverse yet "even" in point value to simulate a balanced firefight.

Make sense?

Ryan

THANKS!! Makes perfect sense! That's a great explanation of the point system. Sort of like "Deck Building" in a sense...

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a point system in the PC version as well. Only used it a few times because fire fights built under this method are uninspired. Another thing, balance is not only measured in total point strength but also by field position, terrain, who defends, who attacks, and what the goals will be. 1000 vs 1000 will not create an equal battle just because a point system says it should. By the time you figure out that the points should be 500 vs 1000 for the map you wish to use you may as well just went ahead and used your best judgement for creating a balanced scenario. After all no matter what you do you will be adjusting the forces until you find balance.

A point system here would only be useful in gauging relative strengths between units to attempt swap outs. And this only after a total force size for one side had been properly estimated to be balanced for their goals. Like say 500 vs 1000.

Go ahead and test this point system on several of the well balanced scenarios. I believe you will find that the force pool numbers for each side aren't even close. That should be conclusive proof that balance is more than just a measure of unit strength points.

If you want equal points for each side then you would need the map to be symmetrical, and the goals of each player to be the same. Neither would be attacker nor defender. It would feel like chess rather than a real encounter. And hence as I said earlier it would feel uninspired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Raines
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh* i hear ya. what we really need are some new publications from academy games. i cant wait for guadal canal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Raines
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heikman wrote:

all the best
heiko

Heiko?! Heiko? Where are you man?! I need those point values to include in the random scenario generator!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Raines
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebatron wrote:
There is also a point system in the PC version as well. Only used it a few times because fire fights built under this method are uninspired. Another thing, balance is not only measured in total point strength but also by field position, terrain, who defends, who attacks, and what the goals will be. 1000 vs 1000 will not create an equal battle just because a point system says it should. By the time you figure out that the points should be 500 vs 1000 for the map you wish to use you may as well just went ahead and used your best judgement for creating a balanced scenario. After all no matter what you do you will be adjusting the forces until you find balance.

A point system here would only be useful in gauging relative strengths between units to attempt swap outs. And this only after a total force size for one side had been properly estimated to be balanced for their goals. Like say 500 vs 1000.

Go ahead and test this point system on several of the well balanced scenarios. I believe you will find that the force pool numbers for each side aren't even close. That should be conclusive proof that balance is more than just a measure of unit strength points.

If you want equal points for each side then you would need the map to be symmetrical, and the goals of each player to be the same. Neither would be attacker nor defender. It would feel like chess rather than a real encounter. And hence as I said earlier it would feel uninspired.

I think the random scenario generator should be used as a "starting point" for generation of scenarios. Of course as I add new features it will surely get better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.