Subject: If 25 anniversary edition rekicks will anyone support it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the bad press of the correct Kickstarter company attempting to produce the anniversary edition would you support it if they cleared up the legal problems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me...no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With official endorsements from hasbro and moon, perhaps.
Otherwise, no.
And not just because of how shady I see GZ being, but because of the possible legal fallout and me never getting it as a result.
I'll wait till its on a shelf, here, in the US, where I can physically see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Otherwise, no.
And not just because of how shady I see GZ being, but because of the possible legal fallout and me never getting it as a result.

What he said. If it legitimately gets made I'd consider it if I actually saw a final product. Wouldn't back a crowdfunding of it in a million years though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
ropya wrote:
Otherwise, no.

Yep!

I'll certainly be watching it, but unless we get clear buy-in from other potentially interested parties, no way.

If I see it in the stores in the US: I will very likely pick up a copy. If it gets made, it's likely to be very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not support it under any circumstances from GZ.

I most likely would not back even if done properly as Myth is looking fantastic and seems to be a much richer game experience and Super Fantasy Explore also looks like a hit for lighter games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
I would not support it under any circumstances from GZ.

I most likely would not back even if done properly as Myth is looking fantastic and seems to be a much richer game experience and Super Fantasy Explore also looks like a hit for lighter games.

As much as I like to stir the pot, this is the truest statement I have seen regarding this topic. I have already spent some decent dough on Myth. I plan on enjoying it, and maybe dumping a chunk o change on the only thing I am missing from the original HQ.....the Elf expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not just a no, but hell no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Dnasearchr wrote:
With all the bad press of the correct Kickstarter company attempting to produce the anniversary edition would you support it if they cleared up the legal problems

I will never knowingly spend money on or otherwise support GameZone.

I have no interest in an "updated" version of HeroQuest.

I have very little interest in further crowd-funding projects (I've spent money on two, both satisfactory, and that's enough for me, given the ever-increasing ratio of problem-riddled projects or outright failures / frauds, along with more and more of them just holding no interest at all for me).

So no, I think not.

What I might spend some money on, if I were to see it in a shop, is the original HeroQuest, re-printed as was; an actual reproduction. Unchanged. Not modernised and "improved". Preferably all in one box, but I'll take a big box and the expansions if I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, I have the original

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have supported it if that was what the kickstarter was going to be. When it clearly wasn't, I didn't want to wait any longer and made my own copy. A lot of work, but worth it in the end. I wouldn't even consider a re-release set now, no point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i will support it if its legit. now..throw the rocks people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fuchs
Germany
Bernkastel-Kues
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
W Will support arrrhninja

MfG
fleXfuX
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a snowball's chance in Hell. Why anyone would think they'd see a final product and be willing to throw $150+ at this project is just insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who would back GZ is nuts. A fool and his money... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:

I'd support them even if they don't, just because I find this whole mess hilarious. My board game budget is enough to pay for that.

If the game ever comes out, and is crap, it will be totally worth it, because it'll be something to laught at. If the game ever comes out and is OK, it will be totally worth it, just because it's the weird Spanish edition. And if the game never comes out, it's still been a fun ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If GZ would actually come forward and make everything clear, show what the game will REALLY be instad of hiding everything but the minis and what may or may not be the final board.

I'd be alot more inclined.

But as is. Its a cypher with the name HeroQuest on it.

I might as well buy MD's HQ book at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Omega2064 wrote:
If GZ would actually come forward and make everything clear, show what the game will REALLY be instead of hiding everything but the minis and what may or may not be the final board.

This is the thing I keep coming back to. What leads me to believe the whole thing is just a big scam, or at the very best, a futile effort by a company that doesn't understand what they're getting into.

Everything they've shown publically is digital. Renders of minis, photoshopped box art, etc. If they've actually crafted anything physical yet, even prototypes, they haven't shown it.

With a self-imposed deadline of Christmas next year, this does not bode well. GZ says they've got the experience and the resources to build it in time, but frankly, they say a lot of things. Considering what they've claimed about legality and how that turned out so far, I'm not exactly filled with confidence. Actions speak louder than words.

-----

If the game actually does get made, and can be purchased from a physical store here in Canada, then I would buy it in a heartbeat. Notably because if it's actually for sale in a local store then it has obviously been given the green light by Canadian customs and so forth, so I would consider any legal implications resolved.

I'm not going to back it on crowdfunding though. I don't generally do that for anything, as I prefer to take home what I paid for immediately. I certainly won't back something that has the track record this one does.

I would hesitate to purchase it online, even from a major retailer like Amazon or something. I definitely wouldn't order it online from GZ directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
This is the thing I keep coming back to. What leads me to believe the whole thing is just a big scam, or at the very best, a futile effort by a company that doesn't understand what they're getting into.

I'm still leaning towards the latter - but still consider the former as a possibility considering how many of their statements about this have been actively deceptive in verifiable ways.

Quote:
With a self-imposed deadline of Christmas next year, this does not bode well.

I'm calling it now: I don't see any way way that they're going to have this thing in customer's hands by Christmas of next year unless they cut a lot of corners and/or the end-product is much simpler than what a lot of people are expecting or hoping for.* (EDIT: Also unless they have a lot more done than they're showing us - I think that's unlikely, though.)

MERCs will have the first copies of the base set of Myth in folks hands approximately 10 months after their Kickstarter began and stretch goal products another month or two after that - and they had a lot more work (physical products AND rules that were in a beta version at minimum) verifiably done upfront at that point than GZ does now.

*To clarify: A game that is basically the original HQ with a facelift - they can probably get that out in a year's time - I just don't think that's what most people want from this (but I could be wrong about that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isnt it the point of using crowdfunding platform to rise money to actually produce something and not having it as a store front for pre sale?

are we actually that spoiled that we NEED to see the product before we buy it. isnt it then just the opposite of having something on Kickstarter or wherever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:
isnt it the point of using crowdfunding platform to rise money to actually produce something and not having it as a store front for pre sale?

are we actually that spoiled that we NEED to see the product before we buy it. isnt it then just the opposite of having something on Kickstarter or wherever?

First paragraph, generally yes, though some use it as a means to translate an existing game into a new market or for pre-sales.

Second paragraph, read it again. "Are we actually that spoiled that we NEED to see the product before we buy it". Tell you what, I have a mint condition copy of HeroQuest with every expansion, signed by the creator, new in shrink. I'll sell it all to you for $500, just send me the money and then I'll send you the items. If you say no, are you spoiled? No - you're smart.

Kickstarter doesn't require a finished product but almost every successful campaign I've been a part of has had a great deal of work already done before they launched because they knew that it would increase their chances of success. People want to see progress, not an idea. Not a plan. Unfortunately, for GameZone, people are content to just hear the name HeroQuest and throw money at them and they are taking advantage of it. Taking advantage of you and everyone else who lets the concept dominate common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:

Yes, it's not technically a "pre-order", though some consider it to be that. Often, it does effectively work out that way.

Quote:

Not sure what you mean here. I don't think anybody is expecting to see a complete and finished product at this stage*, but GZ is making a specific promise or claim about the delivery of this product and what they have shown indicates that meeting this promise is going to be very difficult.

This isn't being spoiled, this is being reasonable. I'll point out Myth again. MERCs did NOT have a complete, finished product ready to show when they began their Kickstarter (they actually just barely released that). What they DID have was enough information to make it believable that they could meet the promise they were making with the delivery.

EDIT: and when you factor in the fact that communications from GameZone to folks following this that are verifiably incorrect and are potentially intentionally deceptive it makes it hard to take any statement or promise they make seriously.

*And if they were, you could legitimately say this is an unrealistic expectation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
skolo wrote:

First paragraph, generally yes, though some use it as a means to translate an existing game into a new market or for pre-sales.

Second paragraph, read it again. "Are we actually that spoiled that we NEED to see the product before we buy it". Tell you what, I have a mint condition copy of HeroQuest with every expansion, signed by the creator, new in shrink. I'll sell it all to you for $500, just send me the money and then I'll send you the items. If you say no, are you spoiled? No - you're smart.

Kickstarter doesn't require a finished product but almost every successful campaign I've been a part of has had a great deal of work already done before they launched because they knew that it would increase their chances of success. People want to see progress, not an idea. Not a plan. Unfortunately, for GameZone, people are content to just hear the name HeroQuest and throw money at them and they are taking advantage of it. Taking advantage of you and everyone else who lets the concept dominate common sense.

well, its 100usd and not 500, so there is a small difference right?
if I can afford "loosing" 100 bucks need you call me stupid? well...
I have been part of many KS projects as well, and I totally agree that all of them already had something to show, no argue about that.

as I mentioned in some of my previous posts.
if GZ do this in proper way - I will back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:
well, its 100usd and not 500, so there is a small difference right? if I can afford "loosing" 100 bucks need you call me stupid? well...

The analogy fits. Numbers are arbitrary.

I didn't call you stupid. You're making the wrong parallel. You called every (well justified) skeptic "spoiled" because they expect more than pictures and renders for a mid-size miniatures game. You also implied you'd buy something sight-unseen and anyone who wouldn't is "spoiled". Don't make accusations if you aren't prepared to have them returned in kind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:

Well, if I'm giving a total stranger my hard-earned cash, it sure helps. But these help too, hopefully not in this order:

1. Greed. Exclusives! Deep discounts! 150 miniatures for $100!

2. Theme. Cthulhu steampunk pirate zombies FTW!

3. Reputation. Reaper, Flying Frog Games, Mantic, CMON, etc.

4. Rules. Show them. Got PnP?

5. Renders. Better than concept sketches, not as good as sculpts.

6. Ownership of IP and no legal issues. What does this mean for Up Front?

Personally, I look for (but don't always find!) a "second stage" KS project. That's when project planning money has already been spent to convince potential investors for the additional downpayment the printers or mold makers are requiring, and the KS is there to raise funds for this downpayment. All the "cheaper" project planning -- rules and playtesting, finding a manufacturer, finding international distribution channels -- has been done. Again, for myself, a prototype (ie. physical product) definitely helps, although company reputation -- and greed -- doesn't hurt, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.