Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of next week and all of this weekend and next to do a lot of solo gaming.

I have a Geek Chic table (4' x 8') with a single sheet of plexiglass that size.

I have had the Normandy 44 map enlarged to 200% because I did not want to deal with huge amounts of stacking. The map is now 62" by 43" 68" by 44" and each hex is big enough to hold 4 counters or 4 stacks of counters side by side.

I was going to play this ("Normandy 44') but I also got Liberty Roads delivered last week and I keep hearing truly great things about it.

(I'm aware the games are different scales etc.) But which should I play solo? It looks like Liberty Roads is less complex (but I have not looked it over in detail).

So to me it looks like Liberty Roads has easier (less complex) rules which is good for solo play while Normandy '44 will be easier to physically play because the map has been enlarged. I'm also concerned about keeping track of all the exceptions in Normandy 44 when playing solo.

Advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xesqui BCN
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
normandy '44 is a good game
easy to play
great solo game
and for the size a very easy to play the campaign and recreate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy '44 all the way. First it is a better game than Liberty Roads in my opinion, but of course a much different game in scale. I have solo'd both and N'44 is a better solo experience because there is no hidden information. The chit draw in LR introduces hidden information to the game and another layer of decision making that makes soloing it more difficult. The rules for N'44 are much better, more clear. N'44 is not a complex game for a wargamer. Of course LR isn't a difficult game either. I have enjoyed my solo and ftf plays of N'44 better than my plays of LR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok Guys thanks a lot. I'll go with Normandy 44. The big map looks awesome too so I was leaning towards N 44 anyway because of the big map. I'll get some pictures up once I get started. (probably tomorrow, absolutely Sunday).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the files section here, as someone put up some nice player aids for N'44, I believe.

-K
Developer N'44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberty Roads was more enjoyable to me . Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Normandy '44. This game is so polished and enjoyable. I like liberty roads as well though...

Also, love the Armstrong memorabilia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bolter wrote:
Another vote for Normandy '44. This game is so polished and enjoyable. I like liberty roads as well though...

Also, love the Armstrong memorabilia.

(chuckle) Lost a lot of money on that Lance stuff cause of his cheatin'. That stuff has been taken down and bubble wrapped for 20 years from now when Lance tries to "pull a Nixon." (If you get my drift.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Photos of the game set up and ready to go!

It's a monster game that isn't a monster!

Finishing the rules review and starting tomorrow.

Map is now 44"x68" and under plexi. The recessed play surface in total is 4' x 7'6".

Cherbourg Environs. Big hexes! Stacking issues?

The Big Red One and 29th at Omaha. Assault wave and first follow-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant, looks incredible and it would be so easy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bolter wrote:
Brilliant, looks incredible and it would be so easy to play.

Even at "normal size" this game has quite a functional and attractive graphics package. At quadruple size it is just incredible. There is no pixilation at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Papylon C
msg tools
mb
how did you enlarge it. Looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.