Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i defeat a monster in an Ambush, do i get the reward (or penalty) for defeating it?

For example:

Skeleton - if you defeat this monster during a Combat encounter, recover 1 sanity.

Mi-Go (best monster ever) - if you defeat this monster during a combat encounter gain 1 artifact!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damean Rendell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not entirely sure about this one. Has not come up in our games.
Ambush in the reference guide does refer to an ambush as a combat encounter though which suggests you do get the benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
antoniocapo wrote:
If i defeat a monster in an Ambush, do i get the reward (or penalty) for defeating it?

For example:

Skeleton - if you defeat this monster during a Combat encounter, recover 1 sanity.

Mi-Go (best monster ever) - if you defeat this monster during a combat encounter gain 1 artifact!

yes sure. when monster ambush you you have 1 combat round with him and then he go away. so if you manage to defeat monster you cab getva reward. if not he just discarded and you get nothing. pretty clean in my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks, i get the benefit then. Just got a little worried there as the reference says you dont resolve the spawn effect on an Ambush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antoniocapo wrote:
Ok thanks, i get the benefit then. Just got a little worried there as the reference says you dont resolve the spawn effect on an Ambush.
But that's because (a) you're not performing a spawn action and (b) there's no point in the Encounter if the Mummy ambushes you in London but is immediately relocated to The Pyramids because of the spawn effect and then disappears because you didn't defeat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't it also say that an Ambush is not considered a Combat Encounter, so if that's the case you wouldn't get the normal reward, if any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Nowak
msg tools
Nyogtha wrote:
Doesn't it also say that an Ambush is not considered a Combat Encounter, so if that's the case you wouldn't get the normal reward, if any?

This was my original interpretation of it also, but the specific wording seems to imply that it operates as a combat encounter:

Rulebook p.15 wrote:
Some effects cause investigators to encounter Monsters that are not on the game board. When an effect says “A Monster
ambushes you,” the investigator draws one random Monster
from the Monster cup and immediately encounters it in
combat. After resolving combat, he returns the Monster to
the Monster cup (even if he did not defeat it) and continues
resolving the effect that caused the ambush.

Reference Guide p.2 wrote:
When a Monster ambushes an investigator, draw one random Monster
from the Monster cup. Then the investigator immediately encounters it.
* The Monster is not spawned. If it has a “when spawned” effect, do
not resolve that effect.
* After resolving the Combat Encounter, the Monster is discarded,
even if it was not defeated.
* Unlike a normal Combat Encounter, if an investigator is
ambushed by a Monster and he defeats that Monster, he cannot
resolve an additional encounter.

While the wording doesn't explicitly say "an ambush is a combat encounter", the wording of the rules imply it is and the FAQ doesn't explicitly contradict this either. Given that the wording of the rules occasionally refer to ambushes as combat encounters, I would say that they count as such for any rule and effect purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raejin99 wrote:
While the wording doesn't explicitly say "an ambush is a combat encounter", the wording of the rules imply it is and the FAQ doesn't explicitly contradict this either. Given that the wording of the rules occasionally refer to ambushes as combat encounters, I would say that they count as such for any rule and effect purposes.
Interestingly, if it weren't a combat encounter, then you wouldn't get any bonuses that apply to combat encounters. That could make Ambush incredibly harsh (ambush is not necessarily 'surprise'). (IIRC there are some "ambush" encounters that specifically state something like 'you are ambushed by a <bad thing> [STR]', these are not Combat Encounters, they are Strength Tests).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.