Jeff Goldberg
United States
Longmont
co
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am 1 missing something? The value of the dice rolled only come into play when being placed on the generator/aquifer/farm area or at the beginning of the turn when doing a knowledge check to determine if you lose workers. I was hoping that the values on the die would be more instrumental in placement ie. moving the tunnel farther along if I place a higher value die there or getting more resources if I use a higher die. Otherwise I'm just putting any value down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kinda glad dice can be placed anywhere. I hate being locked down because of what I rolled.

Don't want water? Well too bad because you rolled a two and that's what a two gets you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Goldberg
United States
Longmont
co
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point, I was just hoping that adding higher values would give me more stuff, but not be restrictive if you have a low dice roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few plays where where thinking of a variant where you could only knock another players dice of if yours was a higher number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Goldberg
United States
Longmont
co
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that I may house rule that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombieconan wrote:
I see your point, I was just hoping that adding higher values would give me more stuff, but not be restrictive if you have a low dice roll.

I think it would be interesting to have a mini expansion or something with tile overlays to change the effects if some spots.

I actually think it would be interesting to make low numbers more powerful on bump-able places like tunnels, as if you place your low workers and keep the high then you're at greater risk when you get bumped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B.
United States
Groton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if making dice bumping dependent on dice value is a good idea. When you get 3 or 4 dice you are trying to get your values low and below 16. You would then either be stuck with the decision to lose your dice or be able to bump. I've found it's hard to keep dice from going over 16 without having to worry about whether or not I could bump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombieconan wrote:

Higher numbers do give more 'stuff'. On the commodity areas, placing higher numbers gets you either lower knowledge, or more commodities.

Also, placing on tunnels and markets isn't a mindless decision. Depending on your mix of numbers, if you plan to use both markets and commodity areas before retrieving dice, you need to choose carefully which dice you place where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also at least one Recruit whose powers are along the lines of "If you bump with a higher knowledge ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been kicking around some ideas for an expansion/variant where pip values would have more of an impact in the game. I think if you're going to have that kind of mechanic you also need a way to manipulate dice values to mitigate the luck factor further.

One option for making pip values count is to introduce the ability to pick the market to be built based on who has the highest total pip value of workers on the construction spots for that market. Instead of placing a randomly determined market tile face down on the market we have a set of markets displayed during setup (let's say # of Players + 1) that when all construction spots have been occupied the player with the highest total pip value of workers gets to choose from. As markets are built more market tiles are revealed and added to the queue. Players could negotiate as to which markets will be built.

I think this would require at least one more placement area (or possibly one per faction area) that allows you to purchase tokens that can be spent on changing die rolls. Spending tokens would take a player's turn (i.e. the players could not place or retrieve that turn). Let's say something like spend 1 token to modify a pip value by +/- 1 or 3 to flip the die to its opposite face. Just to make it even more interesting we could allow these tokens to be spent to modify the already placed workers of other players. Alternately a player could spend tokens (let's say one per pip value) to lock one of their workers at a given value.

These are just rough ideas at this point. I need many more plays with the actual rules to really understand how such changes would mess with the balance of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
zombieconan wrote:
... at the beginning of the turn when doing a knowledge check ...

Quick note - you do knowledge checks whenever you roll dice, not just at the beginning of your turn. So if somebody bumps one of your dice on his turn, you have to roll it and check for knowledge (and potentially lose a worker) at that moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial impulse was the same as the OP's, but as you think about it more, it makes perfect sense that it's been implemented this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brown
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
First of all I'll say I'm not a fan of dice games in general. I played this last night when a friend brought it over. I think the dice do matter. I had tons of low numbers for many early rounds. Also I was the start player. So through the first maybe 1/3 of the game I was always starting with no other dice on the board; after I picked up, so did all the other players. That meant I couldn't ever get the multiple commodities while the other players could, piggybacking on my and others' dice. And I didn't even have the power to add my 2nd die to the first to reach the multiple commodities if no one else was there.

I think the dice definitely matter and it seems that going 1st is a weak position. (though I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else in the forum)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
Having low die rolls does mean that you can advance allegiance tracks easier though, which will help make up for those low rolls seeing as the first allegiance bonus is a bonus commodity for that faction. Also you can piggyback off other dice in those commodity areas, just like the others are doing. Extra commodities are nice, but the lower values are important too. If you place first you may as well take a resource from your revealed recruit's faction to advance the allegiance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.